Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Engine mounts

Default VW Engine Mounts.

I must be missing something. I have run VW's for nearly 18 years, a Rabbit in ITB, a MKII GTI in ITB and now a MKIII Jetta in ITB, and even a Golf in the VW Cup. I have never broken an engine mount utilizing stock mounts. On the MKII's we found out from the VW Cup that the rear mount on the drivers side was weak, so one trick was to put a piece of chain between the flange where the mount attached to the chassis cross beam and the mounting bolt from transaxle, of course longer bolts were needed.On the front mount of the MRII, we stayed with the earlier style.... But on the MKIII we have never broken a mount. Use a stay rod on the front....(Like Dr. K) on the lower side. But still use stock parts for the rear engine mounts. You don't suppose that the root cause of the breakage is from something else?. Welded diff's, driving style, etc..... What other parts are failing or have limited life?. ... Just a thought. Race and have fun....
    David Ellis-Brown

I have never had a mount problem either. However I have on occasion wished the motor moved less to make the shift linkage work better in mid high g corner situations.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

I stuff the pass side mount with welded in washers to keep the engine from moving side to side and jamming the axles. I also use a limit chain on the front mount, from bottom bolt to starter bolt.
    Real men go fast with a welded diff.
    MM
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Flyinglizard View Post
    ... Real men go fast with a welded diff.
    MM
    Amen, Brother Lizard! I to have seen the light and gone back to the old school. I have known the KAZ. I was seduced by the Quaiffe. But I have come home to the glory, and the blessing, and the traction of the spool.

Praise grip.

K

I am making a front & rear mounts out of dellen(sp)? for out MK1s, just happen to have a block of it layin around.. But I have blown my share of headers, flex pipes, shift linkage, diesel oil filter hitting the radiator, blown inner CV's, and cracked my block with a stay bar.. YAY! Love the rule for MK1s!!!!
    "Nebraska organizing committees
    to race in Iowa & Ne board thing "
    Still working on a name...
    X-MVRG Member...
    ITB Rabbit/ITA Miata