Thread: Blue Skying an STU Car

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Yes, I remember you were rejected on that very early 2011. The CRB changed it mind and now does allow us to consider WC Touring cars for STU, with appropriate VTS and Appendix A, and with a weight penalty.

Resubmit that, we'll reconsider it.

GA

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. I will resubmit in January after the holidays. It would be fun to run the car as is, just to see how it does on new style tires.

Anybody have some of the new Conti's or Pirelli's? Just kidding, sorta.....

Eric

Well I resubmitted to see if the car is legal now. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Big issues are the higher compression, low weight and bigger tires. In Canada, my car can run in WC trim at 2550 weight with driver. With a 5% penalty in SCCA Club, we are looking at 2625.

All this, just because I want to do a couple of races at Mid Ohio ....... Why Mid Ohio, just because.

Eric

The way the rules are written, you can supply a WC VTS to SCCA and once approved, you're legal to run it at 105% weight. I can't see why they can complain about that if they said it in the rules and your car meets the VTS to the letter.

also, on the tires... there's no tire size limit- just a 17x8 max wheel size. 245/40/17 tires are just fine. I run everything from 225/45/17 to 245/45/17 depending on what I can find on the used market.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

It will be approved, and there will be no STU-specific limits applied, such as wheel sizes; that's what the 5% is for. As long as he meets the VTS, he's compliant.

The whole "VTS thing" is not really an approve/disapprove; it's a process to ensure we have the applicable VTS in hand to list it in the STCS and to have available for the scrutineers. I cannot think of any situation where a VTS-compliant 2009 or prior WC Touring would not get listed. - GA

I saw the response on the other site. That is flat out great, . I was going to only prep and run the RX7 this year, but with this news I am going to get the Cougar beasty ready to rock and roll.

It may not be competitive with the top STU cars, but at least it won't cost me a ton to race for 10th, . Now just have to figure out which events fit with my travel schedule. Looking at Mid Ohio and Watkins Glen, but mostly Mid Ohio.

Thanks guys, this information made my week.

Eric

Remember when we approve a VTS sheet car it's weight is; VTS or STU which ever is greater plus 5%. Not the VTS plus 5%.
    Chris "The Cat Killer" Childs
    Angry Sheep Motorsports
    810 417 7777
    angrysheepmotorsports.com

IT,SM,SS,Touring, and Super Touring