Thread: Blue Skying an STU Car

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Blue Skying an STU Car

Greg et all, as some of you know a bit about my car and the difficulties it would have being transitioned to STU in its present development state, I wanted to run a directional concept by everyone for their opinion.

I have an ex-WC Cougar (click on the images link for pictures) with a firebreathing 2.5l motor in it (actually I have 2 with the spare). I can't reduce the compression without spending a ton of coin and still get a competitive HP level. Right now the car is making about 260 at the wheels. With the drivetrain swap rule and the 3.0L displacement limit, could I swap in a 3.0L Taurus engine (Sable if we want to keep it all Mercury)? Is it possible to use all the rest of the peripheral SVT 2.5L bits or do I have to use the complete 3.0L Taurus longblock including UIM and LIM.

This type of a swap would allow me to develop enough torque to haul around the extra 250 lbs I would need to add and meet target compression ratios. I know that I would need to send it in for approval, but it could be a solution that would allow me to run my car south of the border and have some fun with you guys.

Am I on a correct line of thinking or just plain messed up.

Eric
    Last edited by 23racer; 12-07-2011 at 04:02 PM.