Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Head and Neck Haters...Watch This

Quote Originally Posted by Simon T. View Post
    Yeah but do you see that wreck or a heavy frontal impact more on any given race weekend? I'd bet you're far more likely to experience a nice front bang than a massive rollover.
    I see more rollovers (easy or hard) than heavy front end impacts. Over 13 years of road racing... Doesn't need to be a 'bad' rollover - that device would have trapped him in the car after any rollover.
    Matt Downing
    1995 Honda Civic EX Coupe - ITA
    Ohio Valley Region, SCCA

Quote Originally Posted by downingracing View Post
    I see more rollovers (easy or hard) than heavy front end impacts. Over 13 years of road racing... Doesn't need to be a 'bad' rollover - that device would have trapped him in the car after any rollover.
    Then maybe it's the track, but attending 20+ days of track use a year at Road Atlanta I've seen far more heavy frontal impacts where you may want a H&N than rollovers where it may trap you.

It's a little late for substantive arguments about the merits of various H&N designs, guys. Y'all (collectively) missed that boat.

K

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    It's a little late for substantive arguments about the merits of various H&N designs, guys. Y'all (collectively) missed that boat.

K
    What?!?! Too late??? It's not too late until we say it is! Was it too late when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

Hey, he's on a roll.

If any people ever deserved to be on double secret probation, it's some of us on this board...
    Matt Green

ITAC Member- 2012-??
    Tire Shaver at TreadZone- www.treadzone.com
    #96 Dodge Shelby Charger ITB- Mine, mine, all mine!
    I was around when they actually improved Improved Touring! (and now I'm trying not to mess it up!)

Quote Originally Posted by erlrich View Post
    What?!?! Too late??? It's not too late until we say it is! Was it too late when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?
    They did when????
    Jerry
    NER South

" My advise to you , is to begin drinking heavily "

<sigh>

80 on track, likely 50 at impact
    1.5 feet to 0 is ridiculous (0.013sec at 80)

let's make a table of "gees" vs decel time

dv = 50mi/hr * 5280ft/mi * 12 in/ft /((39.37 in/m)*3600sec/hr)= 22m/sec

accel = dv/dt
    1g = 9.81 m/sec^2

decel
    time , gees

0.05sec , 44g
    0.10sec , 22g
    0.20sec , 11g
    0.40sec , 5g

my guess? at the average speed of (50-0)/2= 25mph = 36.6 ft/sec it would take
    0.1 sec to move 3.66 feet, which considering the crush zone and the deflection
    of the concrete barrier, seems reasonable

I'd say 22g +/- 11g (nowhere near 160g)

Early experiments showed that untrained humans were able to tolerate 17 g eyeballs-in (compared to 12 g eyeballs-out)
    for several minutes without loss of consciousness or apparent long-term harm.[14] The record for peak experimental horizontal g-force
    tolerance is held by acceleration pioneer John Stapp, in a series of rocket sled deceleration experiments culminating in a late 1954
    test in which he was stopped in a little over a second from a land speed of Mach 0.9. He survived a peak "eyeballs-out" force of 46.2
    times the force of gravity, and more than 25 g for 1.1 sec, proving that the human body is capable of this. Stapp lived another 45
    years to age 89, but suffered lifelong damage to his vision from this last test.[15]

Last edited by lawtonglenn; 12-06-2011 at 12:53 PM.

Glenn Lawton
    GSMmotorsports
    #14 ITS RX7
    NARRC ITS Champion 2012
    NERRC ITS Champion 2013 12 11 10 09 08
    NERRC STU Champion 2010

[quote=lawtonglenn;330744
    I'd say 22g +/- 11g (nowhere near 160g)
    [/quote]

But he was driving flatout and was seventh!
    Early experiments showed that untrained humans were able to tolerate 17 g eyeballs-in (compared to 12 g eyeballs-out)
    for several minutes without loss of consciousness or apparent long-term harm.[14] The record for peak experimental horizontal g-force
    tolerance is held by acceleration pioneer John Stapp, in a series of rocket sled deceleration experiments culminating in a late 1954
    test in which he was stopped in a little over a second from a land speed of Mach 0.9. He survived a peak "eyeballs-out" force of 46.2
    times the force of gravity, and more than 25 g for 1.1 sec, proving that the human body is capable of this. Stapp lived another 45
    years to age 89, but suffered lifelong damage to his vision from this last test.[15]

Don't forget David Purley...
    He returned to Formula One in 1977 with his own LEC chassis designed by Mike Pilbeam and run by Mike Earle. It was this car in which he suffered serious injuries in an accident during pre-qualifying for that year's British Grand Prix. He survived an estimated 179.8g when he decelerated from 173 km/h (108 mph) to 0 in a distance of 66 cm (26 inches) after his throttle got stuck wide open and he hit a wall.[3] For many years, this was thought to be the highest g-force ever survived by a human being.[3] He suffered multiple fractures to his legs, pelvis and ribs.

Quote Originally Posted by jjjanos View Post
    But he was driving flatout and was seventh!

one of my favorites!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zyr6VDaaWJE[/ame]

Glenn Lawton
    GSMmotorsports
    #14 ITS RX7
    NARRC ITS Champion 2012
    NERRC ITS Champion 2013 12 11 10 09 08
    NERRC STU Champion 2010

Quote Originally Posted by ner88 View Post
    They did when????

Jees Jerry, I didn't think you were too old to miss the John Belushi reference!! I stand corrected!

Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Haven't watched the video, but can already tell you I don't need an H&NR device.
    Me neither since I have decided to quit racing instead. It wasn't the H&N requirement alone, but it was another straw that eventually broke the camel's back.
    Tom Sprecher

Quote Originally Posted by lawtonglenn View Post
    I've seen this several times and continue chuckling... ...I enjoy it even more now that I see my car (red Scirocco, then owned by Tim Meyer) makes an appearance at the 3:21 mark.

I think I'll be handing over my H&R ransom to purchase the Safety Solutions Hybrid Pro Rage Restraint because it has side-impact tethers, low neck profile and torso straps...

Quote Originally Posted by tom_sprecher View Post
    Me neither since I have decided to quit racing instead. It wasn't the H&N requirement alone, but it was another straw that eventually broke the camel's back.
    I never like seeing comments like this.
    SCCA seems to have too many straws as of late.
    John W8

CSP10 Miata
    ITA50 Miata

Quote Originally Posted by tom_sprecher View Post
    That's why I went over to CHUMP. One class... basically no real rules other than to keep costs "down" and currently NO HNR rule other than you gotta have something. Belts get 4 years from manufacture date. You should find a team Tom. Guaranteed to have fun racing again
    Scott Rhea
    Izzy&#39;s Custom Cages
    It&#39;s not what you build... It&#39;s how you build it
    Performance Driven LLC
    Neon Racing Springs

I'm pretty much in Tom's boat as well. But I can still go solo untill the powers that be mandate H&N devices in auto-x.

Russ
    Russ

Come do hillclimbs and Time Trials. No H&N requirement, 5 year belts... Heck, you can even run just a bar in some cars (though I'm not fond of that...). I can also tell you that if you have a competitive road race car in the northeast, you will be in great shape car-prep-wise at Time Trials. Most of our competitors are not at the car preparation limits...
    Matt Green

ITAC Member- 2012-??
    Tire Shaver at TreadZone- www.treadzone.com
    #96 Dodge Shelby Charger ITB- Mine, mine, all mine!
    I was around when they actually improved Improved Touring! (and now I'm trying not to mess it up!)

COMSCC is a great club (non-SCCA) located in the northeast which I began running HPDE/TTs with back in 2005. They run at Mosport, Mont Tremblant (not every year though), NJMP, NHMS, WGI and a few others including Summit... http://www.comscc.org/. Another good HPDE club woud be PDA (NASA) and BMWCCA (I typically run with Patroon)
    Last edited by mossaidis; 12-07-2011 at 11:58 AM.
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

Given some info on LRP, I would say that they are going to be "marketing" to get alot more clubs there for track days this year.