Thread: Head and Neck Haters...Watch This

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Head and Neck Haters...Watch This

Self explanatory:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1753248

Scroll down to video....on third page are pictures of the aftermath. Now, tell me you don't need a H&N device??? Chuck
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq
    I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up!

Haven't watched the video, but can already tell you I don't need an H&NR device.

GA, whose HANS came FLYING out from under the shoulder harnesses after the first hit during a high speed wreck at Watkins Glen, right before hitting the wall two more times. Having to choose between HNR or tight belts when hitting the wall? Priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Haven't watched the video, but can already tell you I don't need an H&NR device.

GA, whose HANS came FLYING out from under the shoulder harnesses after the first hit during a high speed wreck at Watkins Glen, right before hitting the wall two more times. Having to choose between HNR or tight belts when hitting the wall? Priceless.
    Greg,
    I've always wondered about that, sounds serious in your case---so what will you be doing in 2012 when the rule says H&N mandatory?
    LD71

Quote Originally Posted by LD71 View Post
    I've always wondered about that, sounds serious in your case---so what will you be doing in 2012 when the rule says H&N mandatory?
    Wearing a used HANS*, what else can I do?

* and using Velcro straps across them to keep the belts on.

I've always wondered about that ... My Ultrashield harness has a velcro attachment from shoulder belt to shoulder belt

Think that would prevent the Hans flying out ?

FWIW : I live with neck pain every day that started after a pre HANS crash. In my case the HANS would not have helped ( hard RR impact into concrete wall on an oval ) , but I choose to be as safe as possible for the next time.

jjj..The wrecked E30 is a friend of mine. He calculated the G load in excess of 160Gs. The H$N made the wreck survivable....period. If you can't see that I feel sorry for you. Chuck (Someone who has hit/been hit 5 separate impacts while wearing the HANS.)
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq

Quote Originally Posted by chuck baader View Post
    He calculated the G load in excess of 160Gs.
    Bullshit. Simple, outright, unmitigated bullshit.

Ok, Greg....show us your mad math skills. 80mph to stop in about 18" is how many Gs? Copied from another forum:

a=V^2/2d.

a= 5194ft/sec^2. That's about 162g's.
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq

jjj..The wrecked E30 is a friend of mine. He calculated the G load in excess of 160Gs.
    He speaks from the dead?

The H made the wreck survivable....period. If you can't see that I feel sorry for you.
    What specifically from the video, other than it being a hard hit -- which is not evidence of non H&N survivability --, is evidence that the crash would have been fatal without a H&N? You see what you want to see. If I show a priest a particularly interesting pattern on a loaf of bread, he's going to see Christ. An oven repair technician will see an oven that heats uneven.

Chuck (Someone who has hit/been hit 5 separate impacts while wearing the HANS.)
    I had 3 before I got the device I can use for 3 more weeks. After that, nada. Obviously the Isaac is superior to your device as mine actually prevents impacts based on the evidence we both have presented.

jjj..The wrecked E30 is a friend of mine. He calculated the G load in excess of 160Gs. The H made the wreck survivable....period. If you can't see that I feel sorry for you. Chuck (Someone who has hit/been hit 5 separate impacts while wearing the HANS.)
    Interesting. I had nearly the same hit. The sound and feel are one you never forget. Mine was at the IT fest years ago, at wide open throttle at the end of the main straight. My car was crushed worse than that as I had another car pile drive me in. They didn't have HANS back then, and I got out without anything sore whatsoever. My car was so bent that two of the wheels (kitty-corner) didn't even touch the ground. What does that video prove? Absolutely nothing. Continue the debate. This crazy rush to please insurers without reasonable cost/benefit drives me nuts. hardly worth doing anymore. Damn hans hurts my collarbone - I can't imagine how that would feel in a crash. Show me the stats from other kinds of racing that justify this madness. The circletrack guys somehow have thousands of races annually without changing belts, seats, window nets etc. ever two minutes don't they? Are they dying off in droves?

SCCA would be better off strictly policing contact instead. Its no thrill to throw out thousands every time some hothead is a jerk and leans off you - getting to be like a demolition derby.
    Last edited by Spinnetti; 01-15-2012 at 01:01 PM.

Heres my post about the Hybrid over on C-C.com.

I linked it because of all the pictures.

http://www.corner-carvers.com/forums...181#post935181

If youre too lazy to click the link and are thinking about getting a Hybrid rage, be sure to order the M6 upgraded helmet latches and tethers. $65 more but well worth it.

The standard D rings are noisy and look like something I should hang the helmet up with, I called Safety Solutions and told them that too.

Me neither since I have decided to quit racing instead. It wasn't the H&N requirement alone, but it was another straw that eventually broke the camel's back.
    Tom Sprecher

Quote Originally Posted by tom_sprecher View Post
    Me neither since I have decided to quit racing instead. It wasn't the H&N requirement alone, but it was another straw that eventually broke the camel's back.
    I never like seeing comments like this.
    SCCA seems to have too many straws as of late.
    John W8

CSP10 Miata
    ITA50 Miata

Quote Originally Posted by tom_sprecher View Post
    That's why I went over to CHUMP. One class... basically no real rules other than to keep costs "down" and currently NO HNR rule other than you gotta have something. Belts get 4 years from manufacture date. You should find a team Tom. Guaranteed to have fun racing again
    Scott Rhea
    Izzy's Custom Cages
    It's not what you build... It's how you build it
    Performance Driven LLC
    Neon Racing Springs

I'm pretty much in Tom's boat as well. But I can still go solo untill the powers that be mandate H&N devices in auto-x.

Russ
    Russ

Come do hillclimbs and Time Trials. No H&N requirement, 5 year belts... Heck, you can even run just a bar in some cars (though I'm not fond of that...). I can also tell you that if you have a competitive road race car in the northeast, you will be in great shape car-prep-wise at Time Trials. Most of our competitors are not at the car preparation limits...
    Matt Green

ITAC Member- 2012-??
    Tire Shaver at TreadZone- www.treadzone.com
    #96 Dodge Shelby Charger ITB- Mine, mine, all mine!
    I was around when they actually improved Improved Touring! (and now I'm trying not to mess it up!)

Self explanatory:

Scroll down to video....on third page are pictures of the aftermath. Now, tell me you don't need a H&N device??? Chuck
    Steve Elicati
    ITA 1994 Mazda Miata
    Central Florida Region

Self explanatory:

I don't need a H&N device.

Neither the video nor the photos demonstrate the need for such a device... i.e. what were the g forces?

Most importanly, even if the video demonstrated the need for a H&N device, it certainly doesn't demonstrate the need for a SFI 38.1 device.

Quote Originally Posted by jjjanos View Post
    I don't need a H&N device.

Neither the video nor the photos demonstrate the need for such a device... i.e. what were the g forces?

Most importanly, even if the video demonstrated the need for a H&N device, it certainly doesn't demonstrate the need for a SFI 38.1 device.
    My only run in with a wall was during 3 day racing school in a Formula Skip Barber at LRP. went thru 11 too hot, let up on the throttle. hung the tail out(rear engine) and came around. Hit the outside tire wall sideways at 80+. No HANS but my head and neck were ok, despite all the lateral movement. Broke a couple ribs. don't know what would have happened without a H&N if I had hit the tire wall head on...but I guess an OZ of prevention(HANS,ETC) might be worth a LB of cure. Obviously, it didn't help Greg when it failed to work correctly!!