Thread: Looking for a 2.3L adj. cam gear!

Default Looking for a 2.3L adj. cam gear!

As part of a Lemons car build I am in need of an adjustable cam gear for the Ford 2.3L engine. I plan on having the head milled and want to get the stock cam back to stock or near stock timing. Anyone?
    1988 ITA Scriocco 16V #80
    MCSCC member since 1988

racer walsh, speedway motorsports, and maybe mustangsunlimited.

Am I the only one perplexed by adjustable cam gears for a "lemons" car...?

Shark. Jumped.

Esslinger engineering.
    Russ

Default Adjustable cam sprocket 2.3 liter Ford

Jim,

I happen to have one that I didn't use. I found out that after head milling, the cam gets retarded, some six degrees. About what I wanted anyway...the reason for buying the sprocket.

I have one with multi keyways broached in it with indexing. It is not the two piece unit that can be adjusted without loosening the tension on the cam belt.

As Manny stated, many outlets have them. If I can find it, I would offer to sell it. If interested, respond!! When you use this unit, you have to pretty much degree the cam to confirm the timing. The indexing is relative to the cam only.

Your choice.

Bill
    Bill Frieder
    MGP Racing
    Buffalo, New York

Why some may think that needing such a gear is not in the sprit of Lemons I think that as long as it fits within the budget what's the problem. After attending a couple of Lemons races as an observer the "$500" budget for these cars is a joke! Porsche, Mercedes Benz, BMW, etc cars were common. No one is going to tell me that some of those cars had a value less then $500!
    My team is going with an old, rusty but solid Opel GT and a Ford 2.3L engine & T5 trans drivetrain out of a Ranger PU. Since a carbed 2.3L engine is not a powerhouse I intend to help it along by porting & milling the head. Hence the need for the adj. cam gear.

I came here looking for a used one for a low price. I know that I can buy them new but it will hurt the budget!

billf please contact me via PM about the gear you have.
    MCSCC member since 1988

Default Cam gear

Hey! I can remember the days when you could build an IT car for under $500.

Jim,

I'll look for it tomorrow (Saturday), and then PM you.

Bill
    Bill Frieder
    MGP Racing
    Buffalo, New York

Jim,

Forget the PM...e-mail me at:

[email protected]

bill
    Bill Frieder
    MGP Racing
    Buffalo, New York

Thanks for all your help. I have made an agreement to buy the one "billf" offered.
    MCSCC member since 1988

Quote Originally Posted by jimbbski View Post
    Why some may think that needing such a gear is not in the sprit of Lemons I think that as long as it fits within the budget what's the problem. After attending a couple of Lemons races as an observer the "$500" budget for these cars is a joke! Porsche, Mercedes Benz, BMW, etc cars were common. No one is going to tell me that some of those cars had a value less then $500!
    My team is going with an old, rusty but solid Opel GT and a Ford 2.3L engine & T5 trans drivetrain out of a Ranger PU. Since a carbed 2.3L engine is not a powerhouse I intend to help it along by porting & milling the head. Hence the need for the adj. cam gear.

I came here looking for a used one for a low price. I know that I can buy them new but it will hurt the budget!

billf please contact me via PM about the gear you have.
    I have an engine that just needs freshing for a new season that will fix power issues $1000 , EXCELLENT head on it !

If you had to buy a bunch of offset keyways, you can spend more than the adjustable pulley.

The engine is all done and the milling of the head retarted the cam timing just a bit which is a good thing to improve top end power. The engine hasn't been started yet but I am confident that it will run well. I don't however expect to have a powerhouse on my hands as the cam is still stock! Aftermarked cam not in the Lemons budget!
    MCSCC member since 1988

Default 2.3 cam sprocket

Jim,

As I told you early on, the cam sprocket is virtually wasted money. When milling the head, the timing moves exactly as you want it to (retarded timing), and the multi-key sprocket is not needed.

Joeg,

The 2.3 uses a round pin instead of a traditional key (hemispherical style retained in a grove in the nose of the cam). Ergo, there is no alternate "off-set key" to use to reset the timing.

Good luch with the projects, guys!!

Bill
    Bill Frieder
    MGP Racing
    Buffalo, New York