Thread: Roll cage rules

Default Roll cage rules

I'm thinking of building an STU E-36. I've looked through the GCR regarding roll cages. Maybe I'm old and feeble but I can't find any ST specific cage rules. My assumption is 8 points of attachment no going through the firewall.
    John Norris
    #07 ITS/R BMW 325is
    #07 ITS BMW 325
    Sponsors:
    GREEN FLASH BEER
    GT International BMW Service since 1976

GCR 9.4 governs minimum roll cage requirements for new cars.

9.4.E.1 states, "Improved Touring, Showroom Stock, Spec Miata, AND Touring...roll cage must attach...within the passenger compartment...a minimum of 6 points and a maximum of 8 points."

9.4.E.2 states, "All other classes–There is no limit on cage attachment points. The roll cage shall be integrated into the frame or chassis."

Welcome to the 'Roffe Corollary' to IIDSYCTYC: "If it says you can, you bloody well can!"

GA

What Greg said. In other words, build the strongest-badassest cage you want, and tie it into the chassis wherever you want.

you can also seam/stitch weld the chassis, so you might as well do it right the first time and strip the whole thing down to bare metal and start welding.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    GCR 9.4 governs minimum roll cage requirements for new cars.

9.4.E.1 states, "Improved Touring, Showroom Stock, Spec Miata, AND Touring...roll cage must attach...within the passenger compartment...a minimum of 6 points and a maximum of 8 points."

9.4.E.2 states, "All other classes–There is no limit on cage attachment points. The roll cage shall be integrated into the frame or chassis."

Welcome to the 'Roffe Corollary' to IIDSYCTYC: "If it says you can, you bloody well can!"

GA
    STU requires an under dash bar, IT does not.