Thread: Steering Rack

Default Steering Rack

I'm building a Miata ITA car and have been so confused with the whole power/de-powered steering rack talk. It seems that all the forums are saying that it is not legal to de-power a power steering rack. I keep reading the GCR and can not find where it says anything about steering racks. Can someone please tell me where to find that rule in the GCR? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by the1jbh View Post
    I'm building a Miata ITA car and have been so confused with the whole power/de-powered steering rack talk. It seems that all the forums are saying that it is not legal to de-power a power steering rack. I keep reading the GCR and can not find where it says anything about steering racks. Can someone please tell me where to find that rule in the GCR? Thanks
    There isn't. The ITCS is written in the 'if it doesn't say you can, then you can't' format, outlined in the D section on page 356.

Currently, it is not legal to de-power your power rack. As a Miata owner however, it is legal to swap in a non-powered rack via the update/backdate rule. Remember to always keep SM and IT rules separate.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Boy, didn't we just go through the PS discussion? What thread was that on?

I appreciate you taking the time to think of a sarcastic response, however I don't spend alot of time online. I'm too busy working during the day and building my car at night. Oh yeah, the wife and kids get a piece of me too.

Ahh, Apparently I didn't catch that before. Thanks. I assume that rule also applies for Digital gauges? I'm sure I'll be posting more questions here in the near future, so all of the quick responses are appreciated. It's easier for me to post a question, rather than go searching for previous discussions. Call me a "short-cut" taker.

I assume that rule also applies for Digital gauges?
    Sorry, what rule? There is an allowance to add gauges and instruments. If ya missed that one, I suggest spending some more quality time with the rulebook. It makes sense for people to help with interpreting a rule that you have read and are trying to understand, but not so much if a rule is 'there'.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

I appreciate you taking the time to think of a sarcastic response, however I don't spend alot of time online. I'm too busy working during the day and building my car at night. Oh yeah, the wife and kids get a piece of me too.
    It isn't meant to be sarcastic. It was meant to stir some of us that are here often to remember the thread title of PS discussions that went on here about three weeks ago. For the life of me I can't remember the thread title.

In that thread you'll get a lot of different viewpoints on the PS rules and if you can, or can't, "depower" the rack in some form or fashion. It isn't as cut and dried as "no".

The rulebook states that manual gauges and instruments can be installed. It doesn't say anything about digital gauges.

The rulebook states that manual gauges and instruments can be installed. It doesn't say anything about digital gauges.
    Well actually, yes it does. Here's the applicable ITCS statement (9.1.3.D.9.c.):
    Gauges and instruments may be added, replaced, or removed.
    Nothing in that language limits you to a particular type of gauge... it's permission to install whatever type you wish. The word "manual" does not appear; you apparently read that into the statement somehow. But just in case there's any remaining doubt, go to Appendix F (Technical Glossary) of the GCR and look up the words "gauge" and "instrument":
    Gauges - Mechanical or electronic readouts of automotive parameters.
    Instrument – An indicator or readout which, when active, contains information about some aspect of car operation for driver reference.
    Those are pretty open definitions IMO... digital gauges are okey-fine.
    Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E
    http://www.youtube.com/user/denrael

I don't know what I was thinking, but obviously I was wrong. Maybe I read that on some other forum or something. Digital gauges it is. Thx