Thread: I don't care about your SFI or FIA discussion

Default I don't care about your SFI or FIA discussion

I would like to know peoples opinion about the simpson hybrid Comfort, fit, usability. If you want to take this thread over to discuss the BOD or SFI 38.1 please excuse yourself to another thread! All i want to know about is how the simpson H&N device works. I have a HANS device in my possesion to play with and im not tataly sold on its performance but i have nothing to compaire it to. Are there other .com's i can go to to gain info constructive critisium , or just another opionion on the the 2 devices positive and neg. im in the prosess of buying one for the next race season and "need a litle help from my friends"

I have a HANS that is getting on 8 years old. It does not have any little wings at the edges of the shoulder yokes and I have problems w/ the harnesses slipping off. I have a sternum strap which is the only way I can be sure the belts stay on and even then I have to think about checking them a couple of times each race. HANS says its all my fault, there is no way that the belts can come off if they are tight and properly installed, but it's happened in 3 different cars.

You've raised a good question & I am curious to see what others think.

I used a hybrid (courtesy of Joe Cooley in NC) at the Goblins Go and it worked out pretty good. I practiced bailing out each time I got out of the car and discovered that I really needed to clear the shoulder harnesses to avoid hanging when getting out. It was pretty comfortable, although it moved the belt bruises to a different part of my shoulders.

K

I use an R3, so the similar parts, the quick release is great, I don't notice the plastic down my back, it'd probably be even less noticable with the straps of the hybrid. The other racing form that I read is pretty pro-HANS, probably due to HMS sponsorship of BMWCCA Club Racing, I know of only a few others that use R3's. Some were pretty bitter about HANS putting an expiration date on their teathers and getting caught up in teather-gate.
    Last edited by Z3_GoCar; 11-27-2011 at 10:50 PM.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

I'm looking seriously at the Hybrid Pro Rage. Any feedback is welcome. Any significant negatives compared with the Hybrid Pro?
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

No experience with the others, but I have a newer HANS sport with the sliding tethers and the little 'wings' MMiskoe mentioned. I have a regular 6pt harness with 3" belts and have never had an issue with the belts slipping off or anything as he mentioned.

I would love to have a bit more head rotation available, but otherwise I have no operational issues with the HANS. It slows me down a bit getting out, but I still average about 6-7 seconds from a roll.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

i am planning on buying the Hybrid Pro Rage from Joe Cooley. i contacted him via roadraceautox.com

i asked for package pricing because i need a helmet, harness and a H&NR.

i have not used one but everyone that has has liked them. i am also of the general opinion that it is all what we get used to....

Marty, i plan to ordering near year end to get the 2012 dating for both the harness and H&NR. if you want to try mine on, we should be able to find a place to meet near Rockford/Sparta, etc.
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

Quote Originally Posted by Matt93SE View Post
    No experience with the others, but I have a newer HANS sport with the sliding tethers and the little 'wings' MMiskoe mentioned. I have a regular 6pt harness with 3" belts and have never had an issue with the belts slipping off or anything as he mentioned.

I would love to have a bit more head rotation available, but otherwise I have no operational issues with the HANS. It slows me down a bit getting out, but I still average about 6-7 seconds from a roll.
    I have a HANS I bought in 2004 ... no little wings to hold the belt. I did upgrade from the original tethers to the sliding tethers a couple of years ago. The original tethers didn't bother me on track, only in the paddock, but I felt I should replace the nylon so went for the sliding. I now have no limit on the head rotation, I'm surprised to hear you say that you are still limited with sliding tethers.

Anyway, my older HANS without the wings did have frequent problems with the belts slipping off the first year I had it. I replaced my original 3" shoulder belts with 2" belts and still had the problem twice in enduros, but never during sprint races. I think it's a real problem with the older HANS devices.

Since mine is old enough to have no certifications, I'd probably replace it altogether if I decide to go back to racing rather than have it certified.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

My issues with the sliding tethers is only in the pits and getting out on track. one of our local tracks has an entry right at the end of a 180deg bend, so you basically have to turn and look at about your 4:00 to 5:00. it's too far out to see in my mirrors, and it's not just a peripheral glance to the side.

Once I'm on track, my mirrors cover enough of my field of vision that it's not an issue. Anything that I can't see in my door mirrors and/or hear isn't close enough to worry about.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

Those friends that I know of that use a Hybrid Pro Rage really love the device. Much more comfortable that a HANS, and better protection.
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com