Thread: 280Z Classification

Default 280Z Classification

I have a 280Z that I have been using in drivers ed and was wondering if if it fits and SCCA class. I have been going through the GCR and know less now that when I starred. Motor 280 .040 over flat tops, Arizona Z intake and 4 barrel Holey, Datsun competition oil pan, MSD ignition with Protronics in stock distributor. Car legal 6 point cage with window net, right side net, adjustable struts, Toyota front disc, Nissan 240 SX rear disc. electric shut off. I know I neew to change cell to an FIA approved, and add fire bottle, attach seat beack. The safety items are not a proble, however, I need to determine if it would be legal in any class. Any help would be appreciated.

You could run ITE or SPO.

Depends on which way you want to go.

If you want to go ITS, you would need to change back to OEM intake setup and Carbs. That part is pretty easy. You would also need to change the brakes back to OEM setup.

IMHO, the car would be competitive in ITS and maybe not so much in ITE and SPO. I would think the changes would not be that hard as the OEM stuff is pretty readily available for the Z.

Cell is not required so no need to change it out. I believe of the mods listed only the intake carbs and brakes will kick you out of ITS.

Good luck.....

EDIT, wanted to add that if you are not yet licensed, forget about changing things just to make it fit a class. I will almost guarantee that if you show up at a drivers school the class will not matter and the people there will help you figure out what needs to be done to make it fit a class. Come join us and I think you will find that we will help you through the process of getting your car to specs. Things are plenty confusing in the rulebook, especially to a new driver, and even to those of us that have been around a while.

Paul
    Last edited by pballance; 11-27-2011 at 05:35 PM.
    Paul Ballance
    Tennessee Valley Region (yeah it's in Alabama)
    ITS '72
    1972 240Z
    "Experience is what you get when you're expecting something else." unknown

where are you located? Also, I am not familar with Z's, so I would also wonder about legality of the pistons in IT.
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

Oops, I missed the piston part but I don't think that creates an issue. IIRC all 240-260-280 Z's hat flat top pistons, I know my 240 does and I can't remember when the Z swapped over to FI so You may need to go back to a FI if your car had it, then again, with t he recent update/backdate you could pretty easily make it fit.
    Paul Ballance
    ITS '72
    1972 240Z

You did not mention wheels or bumpers, also must be stock or legal size, also I am not up on ITS but dont the 280's have to run FI vs carb if so you will need to back date to the system, you are cought in between IT and SP/EP its going to cost to go either way, if you want to go back to near stock a local member is parting out a stock 280 so he will have a lot of what you need, Paul B can get you hooked up. SP will let you go foward and use most of what you have (not sure about the carbs?) but till you spend a lot the car will not be very competetive, same for EP even more $$$. Also for school make sure you safety equip is up to date/rules, befor you go to school, have someone in your local club (tech inspector) go over your car/equip, to see what you need. That being said, chase your dream you will have a blast.

Thanks for the reply's. I have all the original injection and brakes. In a perfect world I would like to find a regional class the car would fit into. Additional info wheels are 14" X 7", bumpers have been removed. Car is well sorted in present configuration and reliable. I find I get 3 hours + seat time in drivers ed and the cost is reasonable. Looking to do my 2 regionals to keep my license without renting or purchasing a second car to keep license. I want to maintain my SCCA license as it is accepted in most race organizations.

ITS might be attractive for you. What region of the country are you located in? ITS is strong in the NE/SE, but other areas not so much and participation is certainly something to consider before making the conversion.

I am in the SE division Buchaneer Region. Looks like GT is open carburetors and brakes. In ITS it looks like I would have to go back to the injection.

If you are just looking to just keep your license ITE or SPO will get you on track and allow you to get in your required races. If you are looking for a race, then you need to decide what, if anything, you want to change on your car.

You can source all of the parts to make it ITS legal with the possible exception of the drums, I do know of one new aftermarket drum that is now being manufactured since the OEM and Brembo's are NLA. I also have some sources of other parts if you need them.

Either way come and have some fun with us.

Paul
    Paul Ballance
    ITS '72
    1972 240Z

If you're in the SE then I think you'd enjoy ITS. We've got a great bunch of guys in ITS, some new cars and racers joining ITS in the SE, and we'd love to have you. I'm a former Z racer and know most of the guys in the SE racing Zs. All of them are extremely helpful and I'm sure we could help you find the parts to make your car ITS legal and help you get out on track.

Ron

SEDiv ITS here as well.

GT is tube framed cars with big dollars on engine, etc. I'd avoid frankly.

The Bosch L-Jet that came on your car is pretty simple and with tuning (and good exhaust work) can make really good power. Stock brakes are adequate if ducted.

I'm biased, but if it were me, I'd do the school as is in ITE and then convert it back to an ITS car. 10 and 15 car ITS felds in the SEDiv are the norm in regional racing. Not sure I've ever seen more than one or two GT2 cars and your car would, honestly not be competitive in GT2.

Quote Originally Posted by 66-68shelby View Post
    I am in the SE division Buchaneer Region. Looks like GT is open carburetors and brakes. In ITS it looks like I would have to go back to the injection.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

I recently ran a 1978 280Z at Daytona under ITS rules. It is a fun car with exceptional handling. Since it was my first race with the car I thought it has good potential.