Thread: Making Windows Removable?

Question Making Windows Removable?

I've seen more than a few ITS RX7s with front windshields that seem to be removable. I've noticed they have little clips around the edges that I assume are to hold the window in place.

So, how do you do it?

I've heard third hand that you tape the edges of the window with duct tape. Then lay a thick bead of silicone in the window frame, put the window in place, and let it setup. Then you remove the window, remove the duct tape, and put the window back in place but hold it in with clips. Silicone is supposedly non-adherent to the duct tape.

I'd like to have the front removable just so I can replace it easily, and I'd like the back removable for ease of access to the rear, which is hard to access in this stang with no hatch.

Ron

I use adhesive-backed rubber foam door seal from Home Depot. Stick it to window frame, drop in window, clip in place. Just need to make sure the clips support the glass so it doesn't move.

What you describe is what we used to do with GT/TA cars way back in the dark ages, Ron.

The only concern is that with a modern unibody, you are actually gaining an important amount of chassis rigidity with glued-in windows - and not just the windshield. They turn those bays essentially into monocoque structures.

Given how cheaply we can get a mobile glass guy out to replace a windshield, I think gluing them in is a good idea.

K

I used the normal urethane adheasive, and coated the inside edge with vasoline. I also put a bead of silicone under each of the clips. One other thing I noticed is that I needed shorter wiper blades to clear the clips.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

K--If the car is caged, urethane is not necessary for a windshield. The structure of the shell is very much improved with the cage and supergluing the glass will not help stiffness.

I use good old ribbon Butyl, which seals quite well and is much easier to "cut-out" by an amatuer.

I think you're optimistic about both how much stiffness the cage adds and how little *additional* the glass provides but to each his own. And this is coming from a guy with way more cage than most IT cars have...

K