Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
...and that is the point. Someone convinced the STAC/CRB to let those cars run in a "3L and under" (now 3.2) class*, but no way were they going to be allowed to be cars to have. "Come play, but don't expect to win a National Championship with it".

P.S., It was before my time on the STAC, I think, as I'd have been opposed to the allowances greater-than-3L cars, even at hobbled prep. BTW, it's stock cam lift, not stock cams.
Yes, I keep forgetting the ST ruleset is segregated based on displacement. I tend to agree that those larger displacement cars should not be in the U class as it creates inconsistencies that don't jive well with me.

I do believe that had ST used a classing process based on valve curtain area and displacement then it would have been possible to equalize the various engine types (small OHC four valve vs. large OHV two valves) without having "under" and "over" classes. An IT on steroids that would have had a broader mix of cars competing against one another in the same class. But that ship sailed long ago and ST is fine.