Thread: Turbo Diesel

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Turbo Diesel

Aside from ex TDI cup cars, will we find a home for Turbo Diesel powered cars in ST*?

Whoa, my 7.3l diesel in a Focus chassis!!!!! Front wheel drive too!!!
    Going to need some big springs!!
    Chris Leone
    318i going STL!!!
    E36 ITS underconstruction(sold)
    84 944 ITS (sold)
    71 240z more than half way there/now GT2 bound!!
    ChrisLeonemotorsports.com
    Roll cages and fabrication

There's no restriction against 2L or below diesel engine in STL and/or turbo vehicles in STU. Gotta run the correct TIR for a turbo car and gotta meet 9.3.26 for fuel... - GA

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    There's no restriction against 2L or below diesel engine in STL and/or turbo vehicles in STU. Gotta run the correct TIR for a turbo car and gotta meet 9.3.26 for fuel... - GA
    Ok, so this answer is just a touch confusing, what your saying is that a 2.0L Turbo Diesel would go into STU?

A naturally aspirated Diesel under 2.0L would be in STL?

is that it?

Quote Originally Posted by Conover View Post
    Ok, so this answer is just a touch confusing, what your saying is that a 2.0L Turbo Diesel would go into STU?

A naturally aspirated Diesel under 2.0L would be in STL?

is that it?
    Yup.

to make it a bit more clear...

1. 2.0L and under are allowed in STL. Turbo engines are not permitted. Note there is no distinction between gas and diesel engines...

2. If the engine is turbo, then it can run in STU following their inlet restrictor scale. no distinction between gas/diesel here either.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

I'm sorry if I'm a bit "obtuse" on the regs, I just wasn't clear where the confusion is. STCS does not specify gas or diesel other than to refer the user to GCR 9.3.26 for fuel requirements, and 9.3.26 starts out with something like "permitted fuel is defined as gasoline or diesel fuel meeting these specs" blah, blah, blah. Ergo, diesels are allowed in Super Touring and must meet the same prep regs.

Now, we have a request on the table for an alternate turbo for the older 1.9L diesel, and we're trying to get specific turbo information from the guy in order to address that. If someone is really sharp on these engines we'd consider some kind of alternate turbo for the whole range, we just need specific information to list on an allowance line. I don't think we're at a point where we're willing to let turbodiesels run without restrictors, but given their limited RPM range I don't see the TIRs having much of a performance affect on them anyway (except the wallet).

Bring on the TDIs! If you want some alternate equipment, send us a note with what you're looking to do with supporting info on what will result, and be as specific as you can.

GA