Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Devil in the Dark 2012

Congratulations to Harold Petit, Randy Mueller, David Baker and Scott Baker from the #28 Johnstone Supply Team BMW M3 for their second consecutive victory in The Devil in the Dark 2012. This year the team covered 433 laps exceeding last year's winning total of by five laps.

And congratulations to the other 38 teams that hit the track in the third edition of The Devil. Several teams struggled with mechanical gremlins, a few did not finish but 30 teams were still running when the checker flag flew at the end of the 12 hours.

Class Podiums

E1

1 - #28 Johnstone Supply BMW M3 - 433 laps
    2 - #20 Bodymotion Racing 1 Porsche Cayman - 415 laps
    3 - #92 Team Track Pro BMW M3 - 288 laps

E2

1 - #94 Radial Motorsports Acura Integra - 405 laps
    2 - #99 Elgin Racing Mazda MX5 - 403 laps
    3 - #21 Dog Gone Racing Spec Racer Ford - 396 laps

E3

1 - #58 Henwood Motorsports / Main Line Overland Miata - 403 laps
    2 - #32 Flatout Motorsports 2 Miata - 402 laps
    3 - #91 Bollywoodlawn Sync'd Miata - 399 laps

E4

1 - #2 Team Troxell VW Golf - 341 laps
    2 - #9 Ted Hulse Racing Honda Si - 313 laps
    3 - #42 Maximum Attack Motorsports 2 VW Golf - 303 laps

The complete results are at: http://www.nediv.com/images/results/...linthedark.pdf

Thanks to all of the teams who helped make this year's 12 Hour a very successful event.

See ya same time, same place next year

Terry

We talked about it in person, Terry, but so I'm on public record as well, I think the "E" classing structure is a great idea and was implemented well.

There will always be someone who thinks they are getting dorked by the grouping but, particularly in an endurance race, the variables controlled by the teams and drivers have a MUCH greater influence on outcomes than do the class we're plunked in.

Fewer classes and more competition should always be an objective in our game.

K

I wasn't at the race but I like K said, wish more enduros were that way! In my ITB car I would rather finish last trying than first just driving around...

Raymond
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

Quote Originally Posted by brandonl View Post
    Pics of these broken parts are coming soon. Stay tuned.

Brandon

Maximum Attack Motorsports
    www.max-attack.net

Sorry about the parts explosion...

I think tGA said it once as well as others. if you want to run lengthy enduros and survive until the end, you need a car setup to run just enduros. You better have installed new ball joints, axles, bearings, hubs, brakes, rotors, etc... and done so for every enduro.

"$$$$ I will make it rain all in here! $$$$" ... yeah not.
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

There used to be a big problem w/ A1 (Rabbit) VW front wheel bearings. You pretty much could not torque the axle nuts too much. I used to use a 3/4" breaker bar w/ a 6' long pipe and stand on it, to tighten mine (or the 3/4" impact gun w/ 180 psig of air behind it).

I know Cameron is pretty meticulous w/ Pablo, and I know Kirk is almost fanatical about presenting a well prepared car, so I'm a bit hesitant to speculate that the axle nut wasn't torqued enough, but that's what the pictures look like.

I pack my axles evrey 14hrs. check the bearings the same. ( stethoscope)
    I use a bearing grease press to pack the bearings with mobil one Synthetic.
    Torque the axle nut every morning.
    I dont go over on the toque as much as Bill. maybe the breaker bar and 160# gently standing on the end.

Yeah, to be successful you need to go over the entire car for any endurance racing, every race.
    I have gone to failure point reduction. Simplify and get rid of complicated stuff. The wiring is all surface mount and tagged. 100% soldered.
    The brakes, calipers, pads, rear cylinders, are fresh every time . water cooled brake ducts. Welded chain loop exhaust retainers.
    Double nuts every where. MLS head gaskets, dual ignition modules, coils, . It doesnt stop.
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

We loved the Watkins Glen 4 hr this year so we are now thinking that this event is a "Must do" for 2013! Does anyone know how many drivers you can enter for a car? entry form last year had 5 spots BUT nothing limited the drivers. Sadly we will need to stop every Hr with the RX8 for gas. Since you need to exit the car to do a pit stop why not change out drivers. Thinking if 11 or 12 of us did this it wouldnt be that expensive and I think we could afford it

We use about 1 gallon of fuel every 5 minutes so it looks like 150 gallons for the race and probably up over 220gallons for the event. $850 in gas

2 sets of tires $1K each (not hoosiers, maybe BFG)

entry fee $750

Brakes $300 (Do you all change them 1/2 way??)

Complete fluid flush Oil $20, rear end $30, tranny $30

And if NOTHING Breaks.... that might be all the expense? thoughts??

4K plus travel and food??

Stephen

The track was ROUGH on tires last year...

K

There is a max number of drivers (6, iirc), check out last years supps. Kirk is right, you burn through left front tires at njmp. Interesting idea though.

Brandon
    www.max-attack.net

Mogren, can you share more about your hub/bearing pm? Are your bearings and hubs always fresh, or do you just repack the bearings with hi quality grease? What tool do you use to pack them? Have to pull the seals and replace them afterwards?

Stephen

We loved the Watkins Glen 4 hr this year so we are now thinking that this event is a "Must do" for 2013! Does anyone know how many drivers you can enter for a car? entry form last year had 5 spots BUT nothing limited the drivers. Sadly we will need to stop every Hr with the RX8 for gas. Since you need to exit the car to do a pit stop why not change out drivers. Thinking if 11 or 12 of us did this it wouldnt be that expensive and I think we could afford it
    I know you guys have been very interested in long distance enduros and its great that you are actively considering The Devil in the Dark 2013.

We have never had a specific limit on the number of drivers (nor any requests for a team as large as yours ). I'm sure that we can accommodate your team - let me know how I can help you.

Hope to see ya at The Devil

Terry

Thanks for the reply Terry! I am going to start getting the tropps ready to go and we are going to try and make this happen. Lemons has nothing on us... this is AFFORDABLE racing!! Should be a blast.

Need to get the number plates and figure out the gas thing. Do people normally just keep buying gas at the track or do they bring a crap load in with them? that is a LOT of gas cans!

Stephen

Terry any info on the 2013 devil? I am all excited watching the threads on the 25 hours at Thunderhill! I will keep watching for a new thread on this site

Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by StephenB View Post
    Terry any info on the 2013 devil? I am all excited watching the threads on the 25 hours at Thunderhill! I will keep watching for a new thread on this site

Stephen
    +1. I'd actually like to see all the Enduros listed in one thread. Looks like there's one at NJMP already on the calendar for April 26-27, anyone know the length of that one?

Unless something weird happened, it's 12 hours.

K

Stephen / Will

Kirk is right - The Devil in the Dark is returning.

https://improvedtouring.com...ad.php?t=31266

See ya at The Devil

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by StephenB View Post
    Thanks for the reply Terry! I am going to start getting the tropps ready to go and we are going to try and make this happen. Lemons has nothing on us... this is AFFORDABLE racing!! Should be a blast.

Need to get the number plates and figure out the gas thing. Do people normally just keep buying gas at the track or do they bring a crap load in with them? that is a LOT of gas cans!

Stephen
    Stephen,

We bring 55 gallon drums. Fill them before you enter the track and avoid the higher prices at NJMP. Transfer to your fill cans, then send a gopher out to refill the drum(s), or just bite the bullet and refill at the track pumps.

Hope to see you guys out there, we will be servicing a mighty thirsty rotary car this year as well. Yikes.

Brandon
    www.max-attack.net