Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Devil in the Dark 2012

We'd LOVE to get enough drivers together to do it in Pablo, with his new blue paint...

K

Nice and Shiney!!!

Stephen

Nice paint, K.
    Every time we have waxed the Golf, it has gotten wacked.

The basic marketing/econ 101 is premised on the cost per return.
    Most cost- less sales. If the cost to race the amateur endurance races, includes a fuel rig, you will have less racers, simple math.
    As soon as you remove the time limit for fuel stops, you up the tech wars for fueling speed, more cost= less racing.

That simple rule will remove the three ITC guys from saying, "hey, lets go run the 12 hr, you bring tires, you bring fuel , I'll bring the car"

I race and respect all of my venues for what they are. I have cars that race SCCA, NASA, Chumpcar,track days. All have some redeeming value. somewhere.
    Evey where tho, less rules equate to less racing and more cost.

SCCA Pro, used to Run Trans Am. The series cost a lot . The racing was poor inthe 2001 -2002years. The front guys drove off for the most part.
    Most teams could be a few as 3 guys., No pit stops, 1 hr on track( to fit the TV slots).
    Pro came up with new rules that required pit stops for fuel. Now you need 4 guys, fuel rigs, fresh tires, Tires/ wheels and fuel systems that can be serviced fast.
    The cost per weekend doubled. The cost outlay per car was about 5-6k for improvements. For the same win cash. GT1 Teams stayed home.
    I am pretty sure ,That was the last year for SCCA/ TA.

When I say to copy success, I mean to copy the stuff known to work. Upping the cost , does not increase racers. KISS and reasonable cost.
    Pick the best points that have made something successful.
    Chumpcar does just that. Chumpcar is running the best endurance series right now. One class , great trophies, good tracks. it is not perfect at all . The 500$ car thing is BS.
    SCCA runs pretty good value sprint races.
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

Let's be clear about the paint thing... A few weeks ago, it looked like this:

The point at which that, the bumper/grill, and the LF fender were replaced, and everything else was between a million and a zillion track miles old, it was time. Pablo is a racer, not a show dog.

K

That's some serious body work Kirk! And if you end up running Pablo in NJ, give me a call!

Wow Kirk, Pablo is lookin good! Pablo's twin is totally revamped as well, mostly under the hood and the suspension... Probably putting a wrap on there before the 12hr. If you do come up, we will have a good 'ol ITB... err... E4 shootout. We are bringing a second ITB VW too.

Brandon
    Maximum Attack Motorsports
    www.max-attack.net

No renter love that I can find for Pablo...

K

Default Earlbird Deadline Approaching

The Earlybird entry deadline for The Devil in the Dark 2012 is Noon on 21 February. Entries submitted before the deadline
    are eligible for the discounted entry fee.

See ya at The Devil

Terry

Looking for a good light bar set up for a 1990 ssm miata. Anyone have pictures of their set up. Also any info as to how much lighting we can add without overloading alternator

How many are signed up?
    Fuel rigs and all..
    K, not going??
    MM
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

Mike

How many are signed up?
    Fuel rigs and all..
    31 cars currently entered - more than started our initial race in 2010

Entry List

C'mon up - we have a place for Chumpcars if the meet SCCA IT safety standards ... and a separate class (E5) for B Spec

See ya at the races

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Flyinglizard View Post
    How many are signed up?
    Fuel rigs and all..
    K, not going??
    MM
    Actually, it appears we've worked out a deal to make it happen! Finalizing the entry this weekend. Pablo will be in the house.

K

Kirk

Pablo will be in the house.
    KEWL

Terry

Our entry went in this evening so we're official.

:026:

Terry - We'll be running with Brandon Lewis's Golf. I put in the same team name to (I hope) make it clear that we'll want to pit together. Can we use the same team rep?

K

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    Our entry went in this evening so we're official.
    :026:
    Rob Foley
    Race: ITB '87 CRX Si
    Autocross: GP '86 Civic Si

Kirk

We'll be running with Brandon Lewis's Golf. I put in the same team name to (I hope) make it clear that we'll want to pit together. Can we use the same team rep?
    We will be publishing the the Pit Layout and Pit Sign Up procedure in an Administrative Bulletin in early April. I'm sure that we can get you two together. Normally, the Designated Team Representative is a member of the team but I have no problem with two teams sharing a DTR. The best was to do this is drop our Registrar Val Heun a note at [email protected] a note telling who will be your common DTR and reference this post.

See ya at The Devil

Terry

Default Devil In The Dark

Report???!!!
    Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1986 RX-7 ITS #63. "Diesel Haulin' Rotary" 2005 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab The Hemi has retired "Long Live the Hemi" Bill Weaver Driver- 2004 NYSRRC John Chave Award. 2006 & 2013 ITS NYSRRC Champion!. Truck Driver Named Glen Region Worker of the Year 2008.Located 45 miles southeast of Watkins Glen in Sayre PA.

Bimmerworld came with their enduro car... had about 20 laps on the field. Fast car, huge cell and pro crew! TrackPro/Bulldog smashed their M3 in the rain causing one of only two FCY's... Limitless Racing was there with their R8 LMS, but were only running 2.5 hours to test for the GA race. The car was fast and sounded awesome!! Their rookie started the race from pole, spun and made it back to first before the driver change. They don't have a pro crew... I think the Bimmerworld car had the lead the whole rest of the way. The number white 61 Mx5 Cup car had a fuel pickup/sending unit issue that we found the hard way and got towed in for our first stop! :/ but solid driving and awesome stops got us back up to 10th overall which we held even when we lost 4th and then 5th and then 6th!! Fortunately for us it rained pretty solid for the last two hours... We still were passing people! I fueled that car in a last minute deal with Hale Motorsports and had a great time!!!!

Some bumping and banging out there, pretty clean overall... Body Motion had a Caymen there that was second over all. Dog Gone Racing was the leading Spec Racer in 9th overall and technically 3rd in class(E2). Some good tight racing out there between Miata's... Not sure how E3 turned out. The ITB VW's ran well as far as I could tell... Not sure if they ever had to stop for gas! LOL

Some what random off the top of my head stuff. I wasn't smart enough to get a results sheet...
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

Kirk said that they had parts breakage that never happened before. He suspects manufacturing issues.
    The Radial Motorsports Acura finished 3rd O/A and 1st in class behind the BMW and Porsche. Not bad for a 1.8 liter car that ran the entire time it was raining on dry tires.
    Tom Beverly is the new rain god!

Quote Originally Posted by callard View Post
    Kirk said that they had parts breakage that never happened before. He suspects manufacturing issues.
    The Radial Motorsports Acura finished 3rd O/A and 1st in class behind the BMW and Porsche. Not bad for a 1.8 liter car that ran the entire time it was raining on dry tires.
    Tom Beverly is the new rain god!
    Pics of these broken parts are coming soon. Stay tuned.

Brandon
    Maximum Attack Motorsports
    www.max-attack.net