Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Curious About D.C. Region IT racing

Default Curious About D.C. Region IT racing

I'm curious to see how the IT competition is in the DC region. I'm working for a company that wants me to work out of the office in the DC area. I was really excited to run the entire Pro-IT series next season, but I won't be able to do that if I'm living in the DC area. How is the competition? Is there a group similar to the Pro-IT series?

I'm a little bummed. I was just starting to get to know some of y'all..

Hey Drew, the competition is kick-ass in ITS, ITA, and ITB. ITC is nearly nonexistent (although there are a few holdouts, myself included) and ITR is minimal due to the idiotic practice of running ITR with the GT-1 cars. Welcome!
    Washington DC Region
    Scuderia Tortuga
    MARRS ITC Scirocco #12

Quote Originally Posted by evanwebb View Post
    ... and ITR is minimal due to the idiotic practice of running ITR with the GT-1 cars.
    wah!??!?
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

I think we have some of the most competitive racing here in the D.C. region. Our ITB guys just had an awesome showing at the ARRC (Herbert,Martin) as did ITA (Brian Price). ITS is also very strong with about 10 guys running each event (in the same group as ITB w/ split start) and there's a fast group of guys at the front. We also go to VIR, Summit Point and NJMP every year and we occasionally hit Nelson Ledges and WGI.

Have fun,
    Steven
    1989 ITA Honda Civic Si
    Washington D.C. Region

Quote Originally Posted by mossaidis View Post
    wah!??!?
    The region put ITR in the Big Bore group so the two or three who showed up at the beginning of the year seem to have taken their toys and gone home.

As the driver of a class that is NEVER the fastest in a group, and is often as much slower as the fast cars, as an ITR car is than a GT1 car, I confess that I'm not terribly sympathetic. If you look at qualifying sheets, there are only 3-5 cars in the BB group that are faster than a good ITR car (or S car, for that matter).

BUT all that said, there's really no reason the the R cars couldn't be in with B and S. Hoop-dee-freaking-doo.

K

Quote Originally Posted by mossaidis View Post
    wah!??!?
    For reference:
    https://improvedtouring.com...ad.php?t=29479

Drew-

As mentioned we have very strong, competitive IT fields at MARRS events. Typically there are 10-15 ITS cars and 17-25 ITA & B cars at most events with more at the MARRS Labor Day Double. You'll find this year's ARRC ITA & ITB winners, as well as the ARRC ITB runner up running regularly in the MARRS series, as well as many other strong competitors.

Although we did have an IT feature event w/ cash prizes at our National race last year, that it is the only Pro-IT-type event we ran, though there is a chance that the series may come down to Summit Point for an event this year. There likely wouldn't be a decision on that until the winter, however.

Since I'm not sure what class you'd be driving in, please feel free to contact the appropriate Drivers Rep for your class if you have specific questions. You'll find the contact info here:

http://wdcr-scca.org/ContactUs/tabid/57/Default.aspx
    Last edited by Gregg; 11-21-2011 at 04:28 PM.
    Gregg Ginsberg
    '96 Civic EX -- MARRS ITA #72
    WDCR-SCCA Rookie of the Year 2003
    MARRS ITA/T3 Drivers rep

Some interesting points. Sorry, I forgot to mention I'm running in ITS.

As an SSM racer with WDCR I can't really speak directly to the IT fields except to say it makes for some of the best racing of the day to watch. As Steven said, WDCR is home to some very fast ITB, SM, SSM, and ITA pilots. I can say that WDCR puts on a really good show on race weekends and that their (hard working, volunteer) staff is top notch. Plus you get to run Summit Point ad nauseum and can get the Labor Day Double on your schedule that much easier.
    Hero To The Momentum Challenged

Hi Drew,
    I've been running ITS in the MARRS series for 2 seasons. We generally have 13 to 15 ITS cars at most of the Summit races and we're grouped with ITB/ITC/SSB/SSC. We usually were one of the largest run groups at the MARRS races this year. We do a split start at Summit with ITS starting first so we catch traffic pretty early. The grouping has worked very well and we've seldom had interspecies issues. The ITS crowd consists of about 9 or 10 of the "Usual Suspects" and some very quick guys who show up from time to time from out of region, and some part timers who race when they can. Very good group to race with, I haven't regretted moving to ITS at all. If you are located near Summit you'll find there are plenty of motorsports activities to keep busy with. NASA is very active there and the Friday at the Track program is popular as well. A lot of SCCA folks instruct at FATT. Hope to see you at the MARRS races! -Al Gervais
    Al Gervais
    ITS RX-7 #27

For what it is worth, really enjoy running with the MARRS guys when they come down to SARRC/MARRS at VIR in May. Usually get 8 to 10 of them and they are always clean and fast.

Need to get up that way (I'm in ITS as well) next season. Been there to crew once, tracked looked like a lot of fun.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

I think DC Region and Summit Point have some of the deepest/strongest/most competitive fields I've ever raced in. (ITA 1998-2005 and again 2010-tbd) The Main Course is a great track too.

Peter

We towed 4.5 hrs from N.E. Ohio to race with those guys. MARRS Series in 05 & 07. They will make you a better driver! These guys race you hard. If you break they won't let you leave they help you fix your car. They save you paddock space 'cause they know you towed. They want you there....

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    BUT all that said, there's really no reason the the R cars couldn't be in with B and S.
    No thanks! Been there, done that. As stated elsewhere, ITS runs with ITB, SSB, SSC & ITC. The ITS front guys catch most of us pretty quickly, usually within 5 or 6 laps, and usually in a train, but they pass us clean and give each other an inch or so to do so. It's almost fun wactching them coming through and sometimes giving a wave. If you're in a race yourself and they're alone, they'll give you a chance to get through the corner so they don't split you up. Honestly, the entire group is a very nice collection of racers who will drop everything to help you out, but gettin' it done on the track!
    Al forgot to mention our own WDCR SCCA track day events, called PDX. We have been working hard on the program for 6 years and it's become a very popular program. We've worked in a Track Trial event day specifically for race prepped logbooked cars, and we are trying to repeat last year's schedule where we had the TT event 2 weeks before the SCCA CR Driver's school. It gives you an excellent opportunity to shake down the car (and driver) before the season begins. Detail below.
    AJ

http://www.wdcr-scca.org/TrackDaysTr...7/Default.aspx
    Last edited by ajmr2; 11-24-2011 at 10:08 AM.
    Art Jaso
    Former 1989 Toyota MR2 #55 ITB
    DC Region SCCA
    DC Region Board of Directors
    Coordinator of Racers Helping Racers Fund
    http://www.racershelpingracers.com/
    PDX/TT Committee Member
    PDX Co-Chief of Grid
    PDX Chief Technical Inspector
    SCCA Pit Marshall
    SCCA Pace Car
    SCCA F & C
    Producer of "Racing Summit Point" Video
    http://vimeo.com/67177646

Drew, Summit and the people there are awesome. They also have FATT (inexpensive track days). It's warmer down there, longer racing season, DC is a fun place, the Glen really isn't a horrible tow.... I'd seriously consider moving down in that area if the opportunity existed.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

hmmm...I have a lot to think about. Thanks for the help guys.

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    They also have FATT (inexpensive track days).
    You're killing me here...DC Region runs one of the larger PDX programs in the country which costs less that FATT and is run on weekends (read: no vacation days necessary to attend). Many FATT instructors work with PDX and vice versa. One of the main differences between FATT and PDX is that PDX pre-assigns instructors to students based on the student's car and experience. FATT instructors take the "walk of shame"
    Haz-Matt Racing

I watch the regional results, field counts and types of cars from all over the country. I would submit that the DC Regions IT program is top notch. You would really enjoy it.

PS: Running ITR with big bore would kill it here too. ITR/ITS and ITB is a perfect set up IMHO.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Art, what would be the problem with adding ITR into the group along with ITS? They run more-or-less the same lap times as ITS?

Quote Originally Posted by ajmr2 View Post
    No thanks! Been there, done that. As stated elsewhere, ITS runs with ITB, SSB, SSC & ITC. The ITS front guys catch most of us pretty quickly, usually within 5 or 6 laps, and usually in a train, but they pass us clean and give each other an inch or so to do so. It's almost fun wactching them coming through and sometimes giving a wave. If you're in a race yourself and they're alone, they'll give you a chance to get through the corner so they don't split you up. Honestly, the entire group is a very nice collection of racers who will drop everything to help you out, but gettin' it done on the track!
    Al forgot to mention our own WDCR SCCA track day events, called PDX. We have been working hard on the program for 6 years and it's become a very popular program. We've worked in a Track Trial event day specifically for race prepped logbooked cars, and we are trying to repeat last year's schedule where we had the TT event 2 weeks before the SCCA CR Driver's school. It gives you an excellent opportunity to shake down the car (and driver) before the season begins. Detail below.
    AJ

http://www.wdcr-scca.org/TrackDaysTr...7/Default.aspx
    Washington DC Region
    Scuderia Tortuga
    MARRS ITC Scirocco #12

Quote Originally Posted by evanwebb View Post
    Art, what would be the problem with adding ITR into the group along with ITS? They run more-or-less the same lap times as ITS?
    I think that's part of the problem. Two classes running similar lap times get in each others way and you end up racing cars not in your class.
    Enjoy,
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by EV View Post
    I think that's part of the problem. Two classes running similar lap times get in each others way and you end up racing cars not in your class.
    I've raced with ITR before. Some of them were very aggressive and could care less about anyone else on the track, no matter what the situation. My point is that the ITS guys are good sports and their car counts are managable. I'm not a fan of split starts, and since we're talking a 10 second a lap speed differential from the front of ITS to the rear of our group, they do catch us within a few laps. The pace car procedure was tightened up a bit in the last couple of races, but ITS is usually going into T3 at speed when we take the green flag. The split start procedure will hopefully be further discussed for next season.
    Art Jaso
    Former 1989 Toyota MR2 #55 ITB
    DC Region SCCA
    DC Region Board of Directors
    Coordinator of Racers Helping Racers Fund
    http://www.racershelpingracers.com/
    PDX/TT Committee Member
    PDX Co-Chief of Grid
    PDX Chief Technical Inspector
    SCCA Pit Marshall
    SCCA Pace Car
    SCCA F & C