Thread: ITB Sentra - WTF?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default ITB Sentra - WTF?

Was just perusing ITB specs, daydreaming about racing something that might actually have a chance at a win...but I digress...

Came across the B13 Sentra in ITB, and I see it is classed at 2520 lbs. I'm thinking, wow that's heavy for ITB, it must make gobs of power. I look it up and, um, no, not really - 110 HP and 108 TQ. So just for comparison, I check out the '03 Golf, which makes 115 HP and 122 TQ - and is listed at 2350 lbs!

So now I'm thinking, WTF? Is the Sentra one of those cars that got missed in the great realignment, or is there something I don't know about it? Can someone shed some light here?

Thanks.
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

Correct. Probably not processed.

Process weight would be something like 2290 (110 x 1.25 x 17 x .98).

Quote Originally Posted by erlrich View Post
    Was just perusing ITB specs, daydreaming about racing something that might actually have a chance at a win...but I digress...

Came across the B13 Sentra in ITB, and I see it is classed at 2520 lbs. I'm thinking, wow that's heavy for ITB, it must make gobs of power. I look it up and, um, no, not really - 110 HP and 108 TQ. So just for comparison, I check out the '03 Golf, which makes 115 HP and 122 TQ - and is listed at 2350 lbs!

So now I'm thinking, WTF? Is the Sentra one of those cars that got missed in the great realignment, or is there something I don't know about it? Can someone shed some light here?

Thanks.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    Correct. Probably not processed.

Process weight would be something like 2290 (110 x 1.25 x 17 x .98).
    That sounds more like it - and with a 2300 lb curb weight it might actually make that weight even with a fat-ass like me in the seat.

Should I send a letter?
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

Why would you want to race a Sentra rather than your 240 Earl? Not for nothing, but your car is a proven front runner, while there are no Sentras built, and who knows how much $$ and development it would take to make one a front runner? MARRS aint weak in ITB!
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    Why would you want to race a Sentra rather than your 240 Earl? Not for nothing, but your car is a proven front runner, while there are no Sentras built, and who knows how much $$ and development it would take to make one a front runner? MARRS aint weak in ITB!
    Jake - not to start a big debate, but (and I know there are those who disagree) I'm 100% convinced the 240SX is done in ITA. Back when Stretch was winning at Atlanta, with a full-tilt, custom-everything, 100 lb lighter 240SX, he was winning with 1:43+ times. I know tracks change over the years, but I just don't see anyone getting one of these to run 41s at that track. Neal Harrison has one of the best built & driven 240s I've seen in the past few years, and he's still a couple of seconds off the ITA record at VIR on his best day.

And yeah, I know ITB is a very competitive class right now; that's why I'm looking there. I wouldn't want to run in a 'lame' class; hell I can go race with EMRA if I just want to collect a bunch of trophies. I know there have been some pretty fast Sentras in ITA (Crazy Joe's comes to mind immediately), so I think one of these - at the correct weight - could do pretty well in ITB. And like I said, I'm just daydreaming right now; but when I came across that listing I just thought it looked funny.
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

Come to the darrrrk siiiide....

K

Jake - not to start a big debate, but (and I know there are those who disagree) I'm 100% convinced the 240SX is done in ITA. Back when Stretch was winning at Atlanta, with a full-tilt, custom-everything, 100 lb lighter 240SX, he was winning with 1:43+ times.
    We SHOULD debate this. What times did Serra win with? Alex? Ya know Ruck ran in the 41's this year right? How do you explain that? Do you think that if Stretch built a car now, and developd it, he wouldn't be any faster?

Tracks change, tires get better, people develop. Look at how much faster Moser has gone in just the last 2 years under intense pressure. NOBODY thought there was anything left in that car - but guess what? It NEVER STOPS.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

So just for comparison, I check out the '03 Golf, which makes 115 HP and 122 TQ - and is listed at 2350 lbs!
    It doesn't change your point at all, but IIRC the 93-98 Golf was moved up to 2400, and the 99-04 Golf should have been also...
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Thanks.
    Earl, you ever raced a FWD car? Might want to take that in to consideration.
    After 7 years, if I could throw pixie dust at mine and turn it into a 240SX or a Miata, I would....
    Steve Linn | Fins Up Racing | #6 ITA Sentra SE-R | www.indyscca.org

Quote Originally Posted by Racerlinn View Post
    Earl, you ever raced a FWD car? Might want to take that in to consideration.
    After 7 years, if I could throw pixie dust at mine and turn it into a 240SX or a Miata, I would....
    Steve - no, I've never raced anything but a 240SX, so yeah, my perspective is pretty skewed. But then, I never said I wanted to race a Sentra...

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt
    On edit: The more I read the more I am convinced that most people have no clue when they are getting whooped by a DRIVER, not a car.
    Andy - I can see that too, but fwiw, in my case at least, my opinion is in no way, shape, or form based on my own experience. I know my car is not 10/10ths, and I know as a driver I'm not in the same league as guys like Brian, Joe, Kevin, and you. I'm basing my opinion on what I'm seeing the best drivers, in the best cars, doing. And maybe it's just that we haven't had anyone since Bob come along with a fully prepped AND driven 240SX. But then, how do we know?
    Last edited by erlrich; 11-17-2011 at 01:01 AM.
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5