Thread: STL engine builds?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I need to go get it dynoed and go from there.

The motor feels good, maybe it makes more power than my estimate.

I have a few small cheap items I can do to generate some additional power too on top of what we discussed.
    CFR STL #59 Civic

www.circuit-racer.com

I wanted so badly to get Non-USDM Engines in ST, but the CRB would not have it. Actually I think that everyone on the STAC wanted Non-USDM engines. We'll keep trying, but I worry that we need a huge change of the guard on that one.

Happy Racing
    Chris "The Cat Killer" Childs
    Angry Sheep Motorsports
    810 417 7777
    angrysheepmotorsports.com

IT,SM,SS,Touring, and Super Touring

In my case by using a jdm head increases airflow by about 29 cfm putting it just a little behind a B16 head.
    CFR STL #59 Civic

www.circuit-racer.com

I keep thinking about STL, and the relatively small number of car/engine combinations that could yield really competitive fruit. Seems everything I think of (other than the known core cars like the CRX, Integra, etc) has a "gotcha".
    I'm not a Prod guy...I still have a distrust of the 'system' and the abuses it's shown over the years, and the all the whining of the Prod guys over their world and crap has soured me. So that's not a National racing path for many.
    ST is objective, and that's similar to IT, which I helped get rolling in that direction. It's new, fresh thinking (well, in a National category), and has an approachable (sort of!) ruleset.

But finding a RWD car that could be competitive, even as a thought experiment, has proved impossible.
    My latest "Hmmmm, I wonder?" idea:

The new Subaru or Toyota BRZ/ FRS thing. 2.0 litres, 170-ish hp stock, RWD, and it looks like a good basic platform.

OK, the $$ aspect is nuts, but assuming wrecks become available in a year or so (or less, LOL), what could that engine make? Are my calcs right that it would currently weigh 2665?
    I KNOW theres some "gotcha" that will make this car unacceptable, LOL. What am I missing/
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    I
    OK, the $$ aspect is nuts, but assuming wrecks become available in a year or so (or less, LOL), what could that engine make? Are my calcs right that it would currently weigh 2665?
    I KNOW theres some "gotcha" that will make this car unacceptable, LOL. What am I missing/
    Seems heavy compared to the uber-Hondas.

Why does the RX7 weigh the same as it does in ITS trim, 2680 lbs? That seems mighty heavy for a 180 rwhp car with a horsepower curve resembling more of a spike than a curve.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
    Seems heavy compared to the uber-Hondas.
    Same exact weight as any other allowed 2L RWD Honda...

Why does the RX7 weigh the same as it does in ITS trim, 2680 lbs?
    Intentional, to keep STL from poaching away ITS drivers. It was a double-dipper "gimme", not an intended performance evaluation.

GA

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Same exact weight as any other allowed 2L RWD Honda...

Intentional, to keep STL from poaching away ITS drivers. It was a double-dipper "gimme", not an intended performance evaluation.

GA
    So, are you inferring that the Toyobaru won't be allowed???
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post

GA
    Huh?? As Ron noted above (and has been noted many times previously), setting the RX7 weights at their IT level makes little sense given the STL philosophy - basically "IT-with-engine-mods". All the non-rotaries get more horsepower from cams and compression and many of them get weight reductions, while the rotaries get -- absolutely nothing. Based on your 12lb/whp baseline, the ITS RX7 ought to come in at maybe 2160 and the ITA RX7 at around 1560 (!!). Plus RWD adder, of course. So the rotaries are at an absurdly high weight if the stated philosophy were being followed. (2680 vs 2225 for 13b and 2280 vs 1600 for 12a.)

But of course it isn't. But the "keep STL from poaching ITS" rationale is laughable. Considering practically every STL eligible car is an ITS (or A or , why is it necessary to give RX7s such "special" consideration? Is any one worried about poaching Miatas (or CRXs or Integras) from ITS or ITA? It seems the real reason is that, for whatever reason, some people don't want rotaries in their class (except as IT level field-fillers). If that's so, why not just be honest and allow them in as IT cars along with the SMs and be done with it, instead of pretending they are being admitted to the class on the same basis as other cars?

Or am I supposed to be thankful that the request to increase the weight of the rotaries got turned down?
    Tom Lyttle
    Decatur, GA
    IT7 Mazda - 2006, 2008 SARRC Champion
    ITS Nissan 200SX - finally running correctly
    FP Ford Capri - waiting for a comp adjustment
    GT3 Dodge Daytona - what was I thinking?