Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Converting a SM Miata to an ITA Miata

Abhi

I think it will depend on what group you want to run in and if you expect to cross-over. Based on the few weekends you ran in ITA last year you seemed to enjoy the group, fellow competitors, and the racing.
    Jim Alley
    1990 ITA Miata

Its all about doing your personal Best

Quote Originally Posted by TStiles View Post
    Now that I've put a Icy Hot on my wounded ego , I'll see if we can get this conversation going with some specifics.

1st a little background , about this time last year , I bought a tired 95 SM . All I did other than R&M was :
    - ISC Top Hats , Revalved the SM shocks , Offset Bushings in front
    - Removed restrictor , added intake & header , made 115 HP on the old crate motor
    - After my season was over , I added Megasquirt and made 10 HP
    - Next week I'll get rid of the 4.1 Torsen and add 4.78 clutch pack

What's the next bang for the buck ?
    So you have the basic bolt-ons and an ECU. You still have to find about 8whp in all the little things like compression bump, exhaust tuning, etc. It's a tough road but it's there. If you hit 130+whp, start spending your money elsewhere.

Like springs, shocks and bars. Splitter to get the air away from the big front tires that will hog the air...
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

... What's the next bang for the buck ?
    A tire budget and practice.

K

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    So you have the basic bolt-ons and an ECU. You still have to find about 8whp in all the little things like compression bump, exhaust tuning, etc. It's a tough road but it's there. If you hit 130+whp, start spending your money elsewhere.

Like springs, shocks and bars. Splitter to get the air away from the big front tires that will hog the air...
    Thanks Andy , I'm always asking myself the benefits of doing a proper suspension. Are you aware of a splitter solution , or do I need to got dig out my jigsaw ?

Tires : Oh yeah , could always use some fresh rubber ... Like most of us , I save my best rubber for the most competitive races and run on junk the rest of the time.

Practice : Of course , can always use more laps. I'm fortunate enough to instruct with a DE group , so I can get laps. We have several competitive miata guys in the group so we pound around and critique each other.

Are you aware of a splitter solution , or do I need to got dig out my jigsaw ?

Oh, Andy knows splitters!! He's destroyed more than most NASCAR teams.

Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Do you run As on the Miata especially at tracks that aren't so harsh on tires? I would imagine the Miata would handle them. (More of a question for Andy.)
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

I run the Goodyears. The A tires could be run without issue up here in early Spring and Fall.

And I have busted 2 splitters, a friend has taken out 1. Hve a spoiler now that needs a forgiving splitter.
    Andy Bettencourt

Quote Originally Posted by jimalley View Post
    Abhi

I think it will depend on what group you want to run in and if you expect to cross-over. Based on the few weekends you ran in ITA last year you seemed to enjoy the group, fellow competitors, and the racing.
    Jim,

I really did enjoy running with the ITA folks. It was close racing but without the unecessary contact and intensity in SM.

Also, I like the variety of running against different cars.

I am bringing the car down to Matt's soon and will call Andy to get his advice on priorities for "most bang for the buck".

My goal is to get most of it done by year end and then send the car down to Florida and run some races there. I will probably base it at the Skipbarber facility at Sebring or Road Atlanta and run out of there.

At this point I need to work on the driving as well as developing the car.

Thanks
    Abhi

1 - SM6 Hoosiers (something like 75% or less the cost of 225 A6s);

2 - Leave the Spec suspension in until you see how/what the SM boys do with the Spec suspension on Ho-Hos;

3 - Header and intake for a handful more ponies;

4 - Megasquirt for tuning;

5 - "Profit".

But you knew all that already.

Later, if you decide to go full-boat on the ITA effort, you can develop the car for 225 Ho-Hos with better springs/shocks, lighter wheels, full-up IT engine build, etc.

Do the easy stuff, then shut up and drive (and have fun).

GA

In SEDiv, I've owned parts of 2 SMs and have run SM a fair amount, in addition to the ITS car.

VASTLY prefer IT. Cars are different enough that the racing is more interesting to me. More importantly, in SM, since the cars you are running with are all equal (but don't get me started on "pro" motors), you CANNOT lift. If you do, you lose everything you worked to gain over the preceding 4-5 laps in a just a split second.

I hate that really, and it breeds some of the contact, which becomes necessary due to the fact that NO ONE can lift at risk of blowing a sprint race.

IT? We race hard but generally give room and have a blast. Welcome.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Do the easy stuff, then shut up and drive (and have fun).

GA
    Greg,
    You hit the nail on the head here.

I think I'll spend some money on driver coaching.

Abhi

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    In SEDiv, I've owned parts of 2 SMs and have run SM a fair amount, in addition to the ITS car.

VASTLY prefer IT. Cars are different enough that the racing is more interesting to me. More importantly, in SM, since the cars you are running with are all equal (but don't get me started on "pro" motors), you CANNOT lift. If you do, you lose everything you worked to gain over the preceding 4-5 laps in a just a split second.

I hate that really, and it breeds some of the contact, which becomes necessary due to the fact that NO ONE can lift at risk of blowing a sprint race.

IT? We race hard but generally give room and have a blast. Welcome.
    This is why I run IT vs. SM

My only complaint is that we don't have enough cars running IT in SW Division , but I guess the flip side of that is that if it were as competitive as some other places I would be spending alot more $$$$$

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    I run the Goodyears. The A tires could be run without issue up here in early Spring and Fall.

And I have busted 2 splitters, a friend has taken out 1. Hve a spoiler now that needs a forgiving splitter.

Andy I am tied with you at two splitters. I am woking on a more forgiving design, but have not had time to test.
    Jim Alley
    1990 ITA Miata

Its all about doing your personal Best

how about this one?
    http://cafephoto.smugmug.com/LoneSta...319909_FFqXjn2

Brian Laughlin out of Tulsa, OK. He says the car is fully ITA legal, but I wasn't aware you could turn your IT car into a platypus...
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

Quote Originally Posted by Matt93SE View Post
    how about this one?

Brian Laughlin out of Tulsa, OK. He says the car is fully ITA legal, but I wasn't aware you could turn your IT car into a platypus...
    I remember seeing Brian's car @ the Memorial Day race ( good looking car ) I'm not sure which air dam that is , but I want to stay away from something that takes out fenders , bumper cover , ect. when there's an off

Quote Originally Posted by jimalley View Post
    Andy I am tied with you at two splitters. I am woking on a more forgiving design, but have not had time to test.
    I believe I trump you both. In my RX-7, it seemed I blew up an expensive, Flatout-made fiberglass splitter at every race. And the car ran hot as hell without it.

I'm just running the OE chin spoiler on the S2000. I think the car would benefit from a splitter, but I don't know if I can afford one a weekend ...

Steve Ulfelder
    Author of Purgatory Chasm and The Whole Lie
    www.ulfelder.com

Quote Originally Posted by Matt93SE View Post
    how about this one?

That's the ISC version that I used as well.

4 ways to determine legality: Look at it from the top of the car, if you can't see it, legal. Can't be lower than the bottom edge of your wheels. And can't be further back than the trailing edge of your front fender...and finally, it should be attached in some way to your front facia/bumper cover. All IIRC.
    Andy Bettencourt

I've had really good luck with the Tougerun G-style spoiler.

That is where most of us are at now.

Andy Bettencourt

Nothin' like a shameless plug, eh Andy??
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place