Thread: S5 Fuel Pressure Regulator

Default S5 Fuel Pressure Regulator

ok sorry if this has been gone over before but i searched and have not been able to find anything.

looking to install a FPR on an S5.

so my understanding is i will have to cut off the factory FPR and weld on a fitting to be able to plumb the new regulator in. correct? suggestions on fittings?

this is all on the return side of the system correct?

FPR with a range of 30-70 PSI will be sufficient? I am on the fence with buying the kit from Flatout, ISC or just piecing it together from Summit Racing or such (not sure if this is even a good option from a financial perspective).

Thanks for the help!
    Wes
    29 ITS

Default fuel pressure

have raced for years with stock regulator in place.. the regulator you are considering will over-ride the stock pressure..

Quote Originally Posted by racingralph View Post
    have raced for years with stock regulator in place.. the regulator you are considering will over-ride the stock pressure..
    Which is the point. If you don't want to buy a programmable ECU, adjusting the FP on these cars can result on some found HP.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Andy are you saying that with a programmable ECU an adjustable FPR is not necessary?
    Wes
    29 ITS

Quote Originally Posted by monsterbronco View Post
    Andy are you saying that with a programmable ECU an adjustable FPR is not necessary?
    On this car, I would say yes. Most cars run rich. With an AFPR you are making a 'crude' wholesale adustment to lean out the mixture to find the sweet spot on the dyno. With a programmable computer, you are going to end up doing the same thing but in a much more finite way. You can see much bigger gains by electronically controlling the fuel. But the FPR is a great way to find some power on the cheap.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

What fuel pressure are you guys running? Any recommendations on which regulator to use?

As andy was saying you only need a regulator if you plan to use stock computer. You will usually see 42-45 psi with the stock regulator. If you want more pressure just add the aeromotive A1000-6 in the return line to go higher. If you plan to drop pressure for some reason then you will have to disadle the stock one on the rail. As a general rule the S5 is too rich to begin with so unless you play with sensor inputs you will not see a gain.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/B.../?autoview=SKU
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

thanks steve! thats the information i was looking for!

Wes
    Wes
    29 ITS