Thread: Guibo - Proposed Motormount rule

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Guibo - Proposed Motormount rule

Question about the legality of substitution of the guibo. The stock piece (BMW) connects the drive shaft to the transmission and is made of rubber. The alternate is of aluminum with poly bushings to cushion the forces. Both perform the same function, but would the aluminum piece be legal? Is the guibo a bushing? Thanks for your imput. Chuck
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq
    I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up!

So that's what those things are called...whenever I needed one for the old Formula Ford I'd call the guy and ask for "that rubber coupler piece in the driveshaft..."

Chuck, I'd suggest unless it was offered on a same-spec-line BMW, it's not a compliant part...I'd certainly not consider it a suspension bushing...

Greg, all BMWs from the 2002 to current (I think) use the guibo. Spec line has nothing to do with it. Chuck
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq
    I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by chuck baader View Post
    Spec line has nothing to do with it. Chuck
    If none of them use the aluminum version, then I suggest it's not a compliant part in IT.

Legal under the new driveline mount rules in my view, so long as there is some squishy stuff in it.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    Legal under the new driveline mount rules in my view, so long as there is some squishy stuff in it.
    Have those been approved yet?

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    The Guibo is not a mount, it is a driveshaft flex joint. It would be like replacing U-Joints with CV-Joints, or a solid shaft. Reading the Nov Fastrack, it states that the Rubber or other inserts can be replaced with other non-metallic inserts.

The BMW Guilbo that was on the E36 M3 I had (my only experience with guilbo's), was mostly a rubber piece, with metal strips inside for reinforcement. Sounds like the replacement part is mostly aluminum with a little rubber.

Is the intent of the aftermarket motor and transmission mounts is to include the driveshaft or halfshafts?
    Todd Cohen