Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Championship????

Quote Originally Posted by red986s View Post
    Ralf - I think Albin has a money tree in his back yard! I have seriously considered double dipping (ITA/STx) but you need deep pockets to be competitive. Two cars/classes has to be expensive!
    Running up front in STx will be expensive too. Much cheaper for a full ITx build than an STx. don't plan on running up front in STU unless you have money to burn. When I started building my car for the class, I figured I'd get a couple more years out of it before it got $$$$ to run up front. nah. that happened this summer. I'll always be the poor guy 5 sec off the pace.. but I'll still be there.
    Last edited by Matt93SE; 10-13-2011 at 12:57 PM.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    Generally speaking, it seems more of an attendence game.
    Depends on how you design the points system. In the amateur world we live in, where everyone can't get to all the events, when you have all the races count like this year in the NAARC, then I agree 100%.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

I just ran the SARRC series for points this year and won. Best six races count PLUS double points for the SIC (equivalent of the NARRC runoffs I think).

We had 100 separate cars run over the course of the year (I believe) with maybe 10 guys running more than 6 races. 3 of us had a shot at the championship.

SARRC is not a show up and win series, although it can be "gamed" in some ways if you are willing to tow long distances. Daytona, Sebring, VIR, Road Atlanta, CMP, Roebling, Charlotte and Barber generally get large ITS fields and you need to have your A game on to win.

That said, if you are willing to tow to Palm Beach, Homestead or Nashville, you can score some easy points.

To me, the SARRC championship is more prestigious (to me) than the ARRC becuase of the year long need for consistency and reliability, the competition, and the fact you have to run and win at very different tracks.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post

To me, the SARRC championship is more prestigious (to me) than the ARRC becuase of the year long need for consistency and reliability, the competition, and the fact you have to run and win at very different tracks.
    Agreed.

The Atlanta Road Racing Championship is just that, a single race in Atlanta that says you won that race, i.e., you're the champion for the weekend. To me it isn't any different than any other race at Road Atlanta.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
    The Atlanta Road Racing Championship is just that, a single race in Atlanta that says you won that race, i.e., you're the champion for the weekend. To me it isn't any different than any other race at Road Atlanta.
    The difference is that it attracts more/deeper competition, at least in theory. Otherwise the Runoffs would be "just another race" too.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

yes, this threads timing is VERY interesting!

Stay tuned indeed!

(Stephen, good luck on getting 30 car fields. And even tho the NARRCoffs has a strong 20+ car field, lets face it, most aren't ARRC quality. (The front IS strong, but, ever been to a MARRS race in ITB? I can think of 3 down there that will shake you up. Then there's Albin, etc etc etc....
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    Should I go get a lottery ticket?

Quote Originally Posted by red986s View Post
    Should I go get a lottery ticket?
    Just start thinking about your goals for 2012. What do you want to accomplish?

K

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    I just ran the SARRC series for points this year and won. Best six races count PLUS double points for the SIC (equivalent of the NARRC runoffs I think).
    Let me ask you this. How would you feel if ALL your races had counted?
    Andy Bettencourt

Hopefully one of those goals will be to get an invite to the "National Improved Touring Road Racing Championship"!!!

You guys have my full attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    Let me ask you this. How would you feel if ALL your races had counted?
    Not speaking for Jeff, but I'd find something else to do if each year I had to run all 30+/- SARRC races (14-18 weekends) in order to contend for the the series championship. Different parts of the country have different challenges, but in 2011 SEDiv held 32 SARRC races at ten tracks from Homestead (South Florida) to Barber (Birmingham) to Nashville to VIR (Southern Virginia). Requiring folks to compete at all or even most of those races in order to win a championship would have resulted in maybe three people (overall) participating. We constantly debate whether or not counting one's best six is too few, but so far that number seems to be working. It also means you could have 3 or 4 drivers show up at the final race (the SARRC Invitational Challenge) with the same number of points, which makes for some VERY good racing there.
    Butch Kummer
    Former SCCA Director of Club Racing (July 2012 - Sept 2014)
    2006, 2007, 2010 SARRC GTA Champion

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post

Stay tuned indeed!

(Stephen, good luck on getting 30 car fields. And even tho the NARRCoffs has a strong 20+ car field, lets face it, most aren't ARRC quality. (The front IS strong, but, ever been to a MARRS race in ITB? I can think of 3 down there that will shake you up. Then there's Albin, etc etc etc....

I wish we could have 30+ car fields. I think it would be extremely hard to get that many cars in a class at anypoint anymore. But I WISH it could happen.

MARRS races in "B" are awesome! I bet the summit race is the BEST race in the country for "B" and I have always wanted to go. On my list the ARRC would come in third to the MARRS Summit race and the NARRC runoffs. Sadly both Summit and RA are so far and costly to travel that I just haven't been able to do it.

On Edit! I am at the edge of my seat waiting to hear this new news!!!!!! I don't visit the sandbox often but are they talking about it on that site? Should I go visit it and search through all the clutter?

Stephen
    Last edited by StephenB; 10-14-2011 at 11:06 AM.

The best B race I ever saw was ITFest 2008. 22 cars very few 'slow' ones and some very fast ones. Not likely that I will get a chance to sample a MARRS event, so I can't compare.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Just curious on the other IT classes what are the biggest events for those that are racing throughout the country.

Stephen

No need to go to the sandbox Stephen, it'll be announced shortly on here.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Quote Originally Posted by StephenB View Post
    On Edit! I am at the edge of my seat waiting to hear this new news!!!!!! I don't visit the sandbox often but are they talking about it on that site? Should I go visit it and search through all the clutter?

Stephen
    I hate to be evasive on this, but we've been asked to wait until next Wednesday to make the "official" announcement about this. What I can tell you right now is this program (which WILL happen in 2012) developed out of the following thread over on RRAX.com:

http://roadraceautox.com/showthread.php?t=35806
    Butch Kummer

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Kummer View Post
    Not speaking for Jeff, but I'd find something else to do if each year I had to run all 30+/- SARRC races (14-18 weekends) in order to contend for the the series championship. Different parts of the country have different challenges, but in 2011 SEDiv held 32 SARRC races at ten tracks from Homestead (South Florida) to Barber (Birmingham) to Nashville to VIR (Southern Virginia). Requiring folks to compete at all or even most of those races in order to win a championship would have resulted in maybe three people (overall) participating. We constantly debate whether or not counting one's best six is too few, but so far that number seems to be working. It also means you could have 3 or 4 drivers show up at the final race (the SARRC Invitational Challenge) with the same number of points, which makes for some VERY good racing there.
    So ours is a TON less vigorous, but we all also have multiple series to choose from. Here it was 11 events over 7 weekend, with one must-attend double-points Runoff. 5 different tracks. Then there is the NERSCCA, NYSRRC and Pro It series all at the same time with additional weekends. Most racers here think one more than half the races is a good call to allow for real life.
    Andy Bettencourt

I agree 100% with Butch. If I had to tow from VIR to Barber in Alabama to Sebring and all points in between to run 30 races since all of them counted, I'd be (a) broke and (b) even more single than I already am.

Butch, FWIW, I think six is dead on. Seems to work the same every year. We get 75-100 entries in SM, SRF, ITS and sometimes ITA, with 4-5 guys running enough and well enough to contend for the championship. I tihnk that works. Anything more and it gets tough for the amateur racer to run enough races to count. Anything less and it can be too easy to be good at just one track.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Is this going to be an East coast or a National thing?

The West Coast guys will say it's an East Coast thing, but I'd prefer to say it's (currently) an "East of the Rockies" thing.

Three parts to the Championship:
    . The IT-Fest at Mid-Ohio in late July
    . The ARRC by GRM at Road Atlanta in early November
    . Your best single result at a number of well-attended "Elective" events

I'm not yet at liberty to disclose the entire schedule, but the closest to you, Mitch, would be the Firecracker Grand Prix at Hallett in July or the Kettle-Moraine at Road America in mid-August.

We currently have no West Coast events listed among the Elective races but we could easily add one or two if there's interest. Given that the eventual champion will most likely have to attend the IT-Fest AND the ARRC, however, I'm not sure any of the West Coast guys would be interested.
    Butch Kummer