Thread: DC Sports 4-1

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default DC Sports 4-1

Any opinions on this header? It's 1/3 the cost of a Skunk2 or equivalent. Trying to find the sweet spot for cost vs ultimate performance with bolt-on engine parts.

Thanks.

Rory

Ive used a DC header on my car for a long time and im satisfied with it. Are there better headers out there? Yes, im sure there are. But in my opinion for the price and the durability of the DC header, you cant go wrong.
    Greg Vandersluis
    #4 1990 Honda Civic Si
    #97 2003 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
    #93 2006 Ford Mustang
    Carbotech/BFGoodrich/Vandersluis Motorsports
    2010 Great Lakes Division ITA Champion
    2012 Great Lakes Division T1 Champion

Thanks Greg. Just the sort of first hand info I was after. Are you using a 4-1 or a 4-2-1?

Quote Originally Posted by backformore View Post
    thanks greg. Just the sort of first hand info i was after. Are you using a 4-1 or a 4-2-1?
    4-2-1
    Greg Vandersluis
    #4 1990 Honda Civic Si
    #97 2003 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
    #93 2006 Ford Mustang
    Carbotech/BFGoodrich/Vandersluis Motorsports
    2010 Great Lakes Division ITA Champion
    2012 Great Lakes Division T1 Champion

Make sure you are looking at a race header with a 2 1/2 inch collector. A lot of header collectors are as I recall 1 7/8" to fit with a stock cat converter and exhaust. That small collector puts a cork in the goodness.

I did some research into headers a few months back for the CRX.

A 4-1 header will generally give you more high end power and is better for high RPM applications.
    A 4-2-1 will give you more low end and mid range torque.

Exhaust pipe size also matters. Smaller diameter pipe will increase your back pressure which helps on low end torque but suffers at higher RPM's. Vice versa for a larger diameter pipe. Most Honda-Acura (early 90's 4 cylinders) exhaust write ups I have seen recommend either a 2.25" pipe or a 2.5" pipe depending on tuning levels. A 10/10th's engine will be putting out more exhaust flow for more of its operating cycle and can make more use of the larger diameter pipe.

So when changing headers make sure to look into what the effects are going to be on the system. A higher flow rate (4-1 header) could be hindered by using a smaller diameter pipe thus negating its added flow rate.

Note: This is coming from an internet junky who reads forums, tuning articles, and others personal experiences to make informed (seems like a good idea) choices. Take what I said with a grain of salt. Ask some experienced exhaust techs.

If you already knew what I said then well someone else one day may find this useful.

-Sean