Thread: GMs in IT

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by erlrich View Post
    I do think it will make 250 HP with a full-tilt build, but that's about it.
    That is some serious power for ITS, even at 3300 lbs weight.

Quote Originally Posted by erlrich View Post
    Obviously the ITAC agrees. I just don't see anyone in their right mind building one - when you have the choice of a 2,800 lb E46, a 3,000 lb S2000, a 3,050 lb 968, and a 2,950 lb Camaro, I think the Camaro comes dead last every time.
    The thing is, the same, or functional equivalent cars exist in ITS . All of those cars exist in ITS (replace S2000 with Miata, 968 with 944 S) with larger weight differences compared to the Camaro (at 3300 lbs), so using your line of thinking the car would be a last choice car in ITS too.

Don't you think you might be assigning too large of a performance detriment to the live axle? Of the few cars in IT that use them, most notably in my area the ITB Mustang and ITS TR8, the axle doesn't seem to be a detriment at all. As long as the full rear axle allowances in IT are taken advantage of both chassis are SARRC Champion winners and podium material any weekend in their respective classes. I'm looking forward to using the axle in the Mustang compared to messing around with Datsun 240Z geometry.

I think a well-built ITR Camaro sporting 250 flywheel hp at 2815 lbs could put a hurting on some ITR regulars.
    Last edited by Ron Earp; 11-14-2011 at 03:13 PM.

Default Camaro in ITR

Ron:

I'm considering building a 4th Gen Camaro for ITR. I agree with you, I think if done right, it can be a very competitive car.

Back in the day, 1984, when ITA first started out here in the San Francisco Region, I built a ITA V6 Capri and did very well with it. Although everyone said it couldn't be done, we won some races and usually finished in the top 5 - 10. We would have 20 - 25 car ITA fields with mostly RX3's.

I sold that car back in 1992 and built an AS Camaro. Raced it for a couple of years and then took 15 years off. I got back on the track last year. I now have the itch to build one more car. This one for my son. I'm thinking a V6 Camaro could be a good build. Plus I want to build a car I can run in the annual NASA 25 hour enduro at Thunderhill Raceway Park in Willows, CA that gets better gas mileage than my AS Camaro gets.

Stay Tuned!

Darryl Seefeldt
    AS Camaro #22
    San Francisco Region