Thread: GMs in IT

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by TomL View Post
    "Torque adder"? Is that still around? I'll say it again. Horsepower counts, torque doesn't. "Torque monster" is noting but a synonym for "revless wonder". I wonder why things like torque adders are still even discussed, much less used. Color me disappointed.
    Tom, I agree, but here's why it is part of the Process:

What really matters is not only peak HP, but also, the breadth of the peak part of the HP curve. Until we are all using CVT transmissions, we'll be spending some full-throttle time away from the HP peak. We need something to approximate how quickly HP falls off on either side of the peak to account for this. Neither displacement nor peak torque are exactly related to this, but on average are decent indicators of this breadth and are easily available to the ITAC.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by JoshS View Post
    Tom, I agree, but here's why it is part of the Process:

What really matters is not only peak HP, but also, the breadth of the peak part of the HP curve. Until we are all using CVT transmissions, we'll be spending some full-throttle time away from the HP peak. We need something to approximate how quickly HP falls off on either side of the peak to account for this. Neither displacement nor peak torque are exactly related to this, but on average are decent indicators of this breadth and are easily available to the ITAC.
    You have to admit that is is completely bogus to have an adder for torque, but not account for the transmission. We have cars getting deductions for low torque that also have ridiculously good ratios in 6-speed boxes.