Thread: GMs in IT

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by erlrich View Post
    I know 3300 lbs sounds heavy to us in IT-land, where 2600 lb cars are considered pigs, but I think that car will work at the higher weight. That said, I really don't think this will be a great car in either class; I think Andy summed it up well...something like "you can put lipstick on a pig, but in the end it's still a pig".
    Time to get some pigs in IT. What are they making these Camaros out of, Tungsten?

I bet the car can make ITR weight with some serious work. Dick got his RX7 to make ITA weight, against all the naysayers, and it was apparently a lot of work. I can get Dercole's ITR stang to minimum weight and I think he's convinced of that too.

I can't get my ITS stang down to weight, but I think I can get close enough to weight that it'll be a threat in ITS, at the expense of many man hours of work, but it might just be possible. The Camaro could be a similar situation in ITR.

So in ITS trim the 3.8:

200x1.25x12.9 = 3225 (no "torque adder" applied, does it get one?). Dang ol. No doubt the 3.8L can make some power, but that is some serious weight to haul around. About 600 lbs heavier than the RX7, more than 700 lbs heavier than the Z. I've always liked those GM 3.8L engines. Powerful workhorses that didn't complain much. Man ol man, talk about parts aplenty.

In ITR trim it is considerably lighter, 2815 lbs. Let's say it can't make 2815 lbs and has to race at 2950 , still seems like a good package for ITR. I'd be surprised if they moved it to S, but you never know. S or R, I'd love to see some of them on track. High time to move away from the Mazda Car Club of America.

Earl, how user friendly are they? I haven't poked around them much, but the ones I have looked at seem like a definite "front mid-engine" design. The motor seems to live under the dash between the two occupants. Definitely a slick exterior. And, from the times I spent in the back seat of the 3rd gen cars in the 80s I know there isn't a lot of room there. The Mustang seems like a more usable package although maybe at the expense of handling.
    Last edited by Ron Earp; 10-05-2011 at 09:16 PM.