Quote Originally Posted by mgrand34 View Post
If the car is full of Pro cars why not have Pro type of rules such as penalty weight to even up the cars?
We, effectively, have that Marty: if someone wants to build a car to the World Challenge VTS, they get a 5% penalty. The reason we do that is because some of the specs in WC exceed the prep level of our STU rules (e.g., too much compression).

However, there's nothing to keep someone with deep pockets from spending the same amount of money to build an STU-spec car to the same level of prep. I can, for example, walk up to PD Cunningham, who would be glad to take my 6-figure check to me me a championship-winning Acura TSX that meets each and every point of the STU rules.

You just can't legislate how much people can spend.

On the other hand, if you think the prep level is too high, then the solution is to either reduce the prep level (unlikely, given the philosophy of the class) or convince the CRB to add higher weight penalties for specific allowances, like what we do for moving pickup points and for sequential gearboxes.

Basically, people could take it easy all season and unleash at the Runoffs.
Exactly what happened last year. The 2010 STU champion qualified for the Runoffs in a BMW Z4 (SSB?) and then rented a RealTime Acura TSX for the Runoffs. Pretty smart strategy...