Thread: I found my old race car!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default I found my old race car!

I have raced 3 different cars. My first was a 1980 Ford Fiesta preped for ITC in 1988. I raced that until 1995. That year I bought a 1993 Mustang Cobra "R" and raced that until 2003. And even now that I have the Scriocco I still wondered what happened to my Fiesta. Now last weekend I found out what happened to the car, where it was raced and who owns it! How this came to happen is the strange part.

I am a Ford/Mercury Capri car enthusiast going all the way back to 1974 when I bought a Capri new. I have owned 4 total and 1 other in partnership, the last one sold in 2006. I have made many friends within the Capri community and they have 2-3 get togethers every year. This year I decided to attend the "Capri Swarm" this year over Labor Day held near Columbus, OH. I last attended in 2008.

At Friday's meet & greet at the host hotel I happened to sit down at the same table with a man & his son. We got to talking about Capris, then about other cars we owned. We then both learned that we both road race. Then we both learned that we both have or still race Fiesta's!. I said that I got started in racing with a Fiesta and he said that he raced one from around 2002-2009 in both SCCA Prod, GTL, and GT4. He also said that he has gone to the June Sprints & the Run Off with this car and won his share of races. I was impressed! When I mentioned that I still wonder where my Fiesta was he asked to who did I sell it to. I couldn't remember the name but told him that is was sold in late 1995 to a father & son team from upper NY state and that a few years later I heard from the son that he was moving up to Prod and later saw it for sale in Sports Car. After that I heard nothing about the car. With that information he then told me that he owned my old race car! It was my car that he took to the Sprints and won, to the Run Offs! Now I can't take any credit for any of this but I still fell good about this and glad that the car is in a good home. As soon as the son is old enough and ready (He 15 and cart racing now.) the father will put him in the Fiesta and let him get his SCCA license.

I mean what are the chances of what happened!
    Last edited by jimbbski; 09-10-2011 at 09:57 AM.
    1988 ITA Scriocco 16V #80
    MCSCC member since 1988