Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Cheap Date

Rob Thiele - BMW 328is ITR
    www.motorsportcollection.com

First off let me apologize to Nat for talking to him after the race. I went to tech after the race to look for you but never found you. At the next event I will definitely find you and we can talk about this. Second I do not place blame on Nat or Tim or anyone for the contact. I spun in turn 2 and put myself in the situation. From all the videos it is clear that Nat was correcting trying not to spin when the contact happened. Had he seen me I don't think he could have done anything differently to miss me. When I came into turn 6 I saw the inside open and went for it. I tried to controlled my speed so that I would not track out into the cars outside of me. Anyway these things happen on to the next race.
    Last edited by coutzen; 09-17-2011 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by benspeed View Post
    Talk about a long shift throw on the Vulva!
    I just had to quote that, LOL. Not sure I need to even make a comment...
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    BMW had made his pass, was at the apex and Volvo didn't see him.
    Not so from my full-screen viewing of the only video posted here. The BMW *may* have had the VW in the braking zone before turn-in, but not the Volvo by a long shot. The Volvo had the corner (see him turning in while still at least a full car length in front of the BMW), and probably would have crossed the apex before the BMW even got there had it not been for the VW tagging the Volvo first (apparently because the BMW took the VW's line away). Even at the apex, the BMW was not yet even with the Volvo and only instantaneously at the point where one could be expected to see him (i.e., nose at driver's door). The BMW should have backed out of it -- it was an ill-advised pass to begin with. I hope he learned or will learn from the experience. Telling him that what he did was okay is counter-productive.

Sometimes those in a faster class improperly expect the leaders in a slower class to make room for them no matter what. A pass of a hotly contested battle in a slower class can be made with the assumption that the slower class car will make extra accomodation only where such giving will not hurt the slower class car's race with others in its class. Moreover, if only out of etiquette, such a pass should not be attempted where it slows others down unnecessarily. Here, attempting to pass the ITB leader in an ITR car at the apex of 6 was simply ill-advised, and wedging between the first and second cars in that slower class was poor etiquette by any standard. The pass of both could have easily waited until the hill (judging from the apparent power advantage of the BMW), which probably would have been faster for *all*. IMHO, the BMW driver owes an apology to the Volvo driver for the contact.
    2006 NARRC ITC, 1ST
    2006 NERRC ITC, 1ST
    2000 NERRC ITB, 3RD

BUGCITY -- RANCO Collision -- FlameTheHorse -- Shine Racing Service

I ALMOST posted that it seemed like this would be the first incident where we discussed the fault etc and all agreed on in the end....

-but I knew better, LOL
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

The perspective matters. For the most part, I have been in the 'faster' class in run groups. We all look at it from where we would typically be.

In Nat's video, I can see the BMW making the pass and coming inside. Is it unreasonable to think that (if Tim hadn't clipped him) that he would have left some racing room (he might have been seeing as how there was a 3rd car in there)?

And to add, when Nat sees the BMWin T-1/T-2, he probably has no idea he spun because he is rolling pit-out. Noticing an ITR car there would have me extra focused on the mirrors in the short term.

But like Lawton said, it's all arm-chair at this point knowing Tim bumped Nat. God, video is cool.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

On the BMW vs the "Rolling White Shed"....

Not upset with anyone as I have been on both sides of this before but here are my thoughts.

1 There is no way that Nat could see the BMW from where he was on the track. His view was blocked by the VW and also by the angle and side distance of the BMW.

2 Any car that is riding the rim (Nat) with a car underneath (Mullen) should ' Hold there line' and not aim for the apex curb. Mullen should have been left some room as Nat (by his own thoughts) could not see who was alongside him. Meaning if he could not see who was there some room should have been left. We all need racing room. Please!

3 From the BMW perspective. There is some responsibility (or self preservation aspect) here. When approaching slower cars racing each other (especially one that is 2 lanes over from where you are ( the White Shed)) anticipate that the other car cannot see you. A little holding back at that point to "see" what the traffic was going to do would be better racecraft.

4 All that said...OK I have also done this crap (hit and been hit) as well so it is easy for me to blab about it. I am trying to let the paint be shiny for longer periods of time.

Phil # 38 ITA at Cheap Date