Thread: Lifter clacking

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Oil pressure is great. Feel test is hard to do, It's hard to get the two lifters that are soft coming out of the motor (because they are depressing a valve) to pump up.

I'm a little worried about running it with the current situation. A few weeks ago (after swapping lifters) I had an occasion when it sounded as if a piston hit a valve a few times. This was when the engine was still cold and I cracked the throttle open a hair. After idling for 5 mins and warming up this didn;t happen again. So my belief is that there is a stickly valve. However, as I said before, leak down is OK and the machine shop checked head and claims that every valve is good, no indication of a strike, etc.

So I'm . What to do next?

At least I'm providing good business for the gasket makers.
    timo

Is this a new rebuild?

The story goes that Zinc was removed from oil and this said zinc is needed in the critical break-in period

I read in grassroots motor sports how David Vazird cured a problem on a GM truck that had lifter clatter using Royal Purple oil

On cam and lifter changes proper break-in is essential
    Now more than ever since they removed the zinc

http://royalpurple.com/breakin-oil.html

HTH
    David

David,

Appreciate the thought. Yes it's a new motor, though this issue didn't appear until race # 3. I used Joe Gibbs break in oil at start-up and for dyno testing and am now using the Valvoline "racing" 20W50 that is supposed to be high in zinc and other critical materials. I debated trying a different oil but have done so yet...

Tim
    timo