Thread: Rem

Default Rem

REM is a finish in conjunction with special chemicals.

Is it legal in IT for anything other than the engine? I tried to search this but nothing came up.

Good band....

If you can't find an allowance, IIDSYCYC...
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    Good band....

If you can't find an allowance, IIDSYCYC...
    Maybe I shoud know this but I don't..what does IIDSYCYC mean and is this a definate no?

IIDSYCYC: "If it doesn't say you can, you can't"

i.e. exactly that. If there's not something in the rules that says you can REM finish a gear or connecting rod or whatever, then you can not do it.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

Quote Originally Posted by Matt93SE View Post
    IIDSYCYC: "If it doesn't say you can, you can't"

i.e. exactly that. If there's not something in the rules that says you can REM finish a gear or connecting rod or whatever, then you can not do it.
    Then why would the GCR address "plating, painting & coatings"? If they want something to be illegal they should not address it correct?

Thanks, I always wondered what the hell that meant.

Cue Kirk. And Andy. And Greg. And me. etc etc. yes, a book that says 'Anything not allowed in these rules is not allowed" shouldn't then go and list specific things that aren't allowed. Logic fail.
    It makes the reader say, "Oh, in this area, you can't do this or this, but they didn't say I couldn't do THAT, so I guess I can!".

There are a few of those items in there.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Unfortunately the GCR was written eons ago and is now updated by about a bazillion different people. some have one way of thinking, some have another. this leaves this 'living document' with a lot of ambiguity.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

I looked at the REM process, looks like you just drop the part into a vat of ceramic beads, then apply a special reagent for the final few minutes. Dan, if you're planning on doing this to the final drive, then any gear set that fits is allowed.

As an aside, where does the ITCS allow crank polishing? When you have a machine shop check the bearing journals, they'll polish them to remove any scufs. But this isn't mentioned anywhere.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

The two gear systems that can use the REM process in IT racing is the transmission & the diffs, transaxle for Porsche's. Since it is not a paint, coating or plating it would think it would be allowed. This "If it doesn't say you can, you can't" is like a parent saying don't do as I do, do as I say. Which was BS even when I was little. 8~) I just want to get this in the open and clarify it.

Quote Originally Posted by dj10 View Post
    The two gear systems that can use the REM process in IT racing is the transmission & the diffs, transaxle for Porsche's. Since it is not a paint, coating or plating it would think it would be allowed. This "If it doesn't say you can, you can't" is like a parent saying don't do as I do, do as I say. Which was BS even when I was little. 8~) I just want to get this in the open and clarify it.
    How is transmission legal? I say no.

Since diff gears are open (given certain parameters), I say you can plate, polish, REM, whatever.

Tranny gears are to be stock.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

This "If it doesn't say you can, you can't" is like a parent saying don't do as I do, do as I say. Which was BS even when I was little. 8~) I just want to get this in the open and clarify it.
    And it's really not Dan. The whole ITCS is predicated on the very first principle of the rules:

"The following modifications are authorized on all Improved Touring Category cars. Modifications shall not be made unless authorized herein."

If it doesn't say you can, then you can't.
    Andy Bettencourt

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    And it's really not Dan. The whole ITCS is predicated on the very first principle of the rules:

"The following modifications are authorized on all Improved Touring Category cars. Modifications shall not be made unless authorized herein."

If it doesn't say you can, then you can't.
    Then they should not have addressed paint, coating or plating. Your explaination is fine with me and also less expensive.

Then they should not have addressed paint, coating or plating. Your explaination is fine with me and also less expensive.
    As mentioned earlier, that's one of those instances where someone did us no favors by stipulating what cannot be done. I've argued for a decade that those should all be stripped out of the rules.

K

REM is a type of finish and i would have a hard time saying you can't.

No interchange of parts between assemblies
    is permitted, and all parts of an assembly shall be as originally produced
    for that assembly (such parts may, however, be coated, painted or
    plated)
    on the engine, that would be different;

The application and/or use of any painting, coating, plating,
    or impregnating substance (i.e. anti-friction, thermal barrier,
    oil shedding coatings, chrome, anodizing, etc.) to any internal
    engine surface, including intake manifold internal surface, is
    prohibited.
    so if you can coat/paint/plate parts, why not REM? because of the way the finish is achieved?
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

Quote Originally Posted by tom91ita View Post

so if you can coat/paint/plate parts, why not REM? because of the way the finish is achieved?
    Exactly. It tells you the WAY you can modify the parts, not the result (color, kind of plating or coating).

Basically it tells you what you can do, and 'micro-polishing' is not one of them. You aren't going to 'coat, plate, or paint' your tranny gears anyway.

And REM is not a type of finish, it's a PROCESS. LOL
    Andy Bettencourt

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    As mentioned earlier, that's one of those instances where someone did us no favors by stipulating what cannot be done. I've argued for a decade that those should all be stripped out of the rules.

K
    I'm with you K..

I'm with you K..
    As are most of us. BUT, I guaran-damn-tee you that if you took stuff out, half the racers would then see that as an allowance.

Ignorance is bliss.
    Andy Bettencourt

REM is a very refined polishing process. Nothing is deposited on the surface and nothing is changed on the base material. So any/all statement specifically stating coating, anodizing, painting, etc. does not apply to this process. The only premise to use for this process not being legal is that it falls under the unauthorized modification umbrella, except for R&P's.

Worth mentioning is the REM can make parts too smooth and that there is a diminishing return on the ultra polished surface finish. The example is some gearbox and R&P results from NASCAR that show REM gears fall back to a rougher surface finish after running the cars with REM processed gears. Get well maintained used parts and the friction surfaces will be polished as a result of regular use.

A side benefit could be oil shedding, but that is tough to quantify.
    David Russell
    IT Volvo 242