Thread: Hoosier R6 questions

Default Hoosier R6 questions

Hi,

I just purchased a set of Hoosier R6's for our '87 CRX Si that we run in IT. Just wondering if anybody can make tire pressure recommendations.

Set Up:
    Front= 1_deg toe out, -2.5_deg camber
    Rear= 0 toe (ever so slightly out), -4_deg camber

The only other tire we've used is the Toyo RA1 and we would typically run them at 32psi hot.

tia,

sani

Generally, 38-40 hot.

From what I have read, what Greg said 38-40 hot on hoosiers.

I am surprised at how low you were running the RA1's. I am running Nitto NT01's which are considered to be very similar to the RA1 but I normally start at 32 psi cold. Nitto recommended roughly 38-40 psi Hot for the NT01. 32 psi cold comes in between 39 to 40 in 70-80 degree heat.

Makes me second guess my tire pressures.

-Sean

With my fat ITR car at 3055 - I'll start out at 27-28 and end up 38-40 hot.
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

Haven't run Hoosiers myself, so take this FWIW.

Pressures vary widely on driving habits and the car.
    I was told to run my R888s at 32-34cold for 38-42 hot with 235 width on a 2700lb car.
    I started at 40psi hot and wore the centers out, while the car was sliding all over the track.

I now run them at 22-24 cold and still have no issues with shoulder wear. Any lower than that and they get real vague the first few laps until pressures build. run them higher and they get greasy toward the end of a race.

Everyone is telling me to run them closer to 40psi, but I have much better performance running them at 30.

That said, Hoosiers like to wear on the shoulders- you need to run quite a bit of camber with them. as for pressures, I don't know. all depends on car, weight, tire width, driver habits, etc.

Start all off at 29; see what they build to.

If you are under 40 hot, that is fine.

If you are FWD, you may have to screw around abit with the right rear--starting it at a higher pressure.

I can pretty much get 3/4 of mine the same at cold and then the same higher hot, but the RR requires some thinking.

Default tire preasures

same car on hankooks
    lf28 rf29
    lr34 rr 35
    Rick Benazic
    All Star Sheet Metal inc.

ITS Honda prelude #06

It's always best to go to the source.

I've been using Hoosiers for years and wouldn't use anything else...
    AJ

http://www.hoosiertire.com/tctR6_A6.pdf
    Last edited by ajmr2; 09-19-2011 at 06:06 PM.
    Art Jaso
    Former 1989 Toyota MR2 #55 ITB
    DC Region SCCA
    DC Region Board of Directors
    Coordinator of Racers Helping Racers Fund
    http://www.racershelpingracers.com/
    PDX/TT Committee Member
    PDX Co-Chief of Grid
    PDX Chief Technical Inspector
    SCCA Pit Marshall
    SCCA Pace Car
    SCCA F & C
    Producer of "Racing Summit Point" Video
    http://vimeo.com/67177646

Quote Originally Posted by benspeed View Post
    With my fat ITR car at 3055 - I'll start out at 27-28 and end up 38-40 hot.
    Wow, that's a lot of pressure buildup. With my less fat ITR car at 2800, I'll start out at 34-35 and up up at 39-40 hot. But I use nitrogen, mostly because it's by far the simplest source of air to carry around in the trailer.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Start with Hoosiers recommendations.

Then get a tire pyrometer. It will pay for itself in extending the wear of one set of tires.

High middle temperature means too much pressure. Low middle temperature means too low of a temperature.

Plus it will help you set up the correct amount of camber.

From what I've been told by Hoosier, the tire pyromter should be used more as a confirmation tool of information provided by data or the driver. The pressures are not just car specific but driver dependent. Using a bit higher pressure will offer quicker steering responses.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Thanks to all for the information! We ended up going with 32psi hot all the way around based on information from a fellow racer at redpepperracing. The car felt AMAZING. We took a second off our time on a track with a 1:21 lap!

Then we ran the Hoosiers in a 3 hour enduro and totally fragged them. I did the first stint and we were running a strong 3rd (same lap as leadders and a lap ahead of 4th). My brother had the second stint and the RF blew out with about 45mins left to go. Unfortunately, the tire blew out right after the pit in and so he had to do an entire lap on three tires. Then we had to change all four 'cuz we only had RA1's mounted. Ended up 7th, three laps down.

sani

Not sure how much a 2nd gen CRX (89 CRX here) would require a different setup but I generally start off at 30 front/34 rear and they usually come off 38-40 hot all around. I don't believe I have as much rear camber as you have there and the front might be a touch more but the toe is about the same. This is on 14x7s (205/55s).

Also, the year I ran RA-1s (2002?), I think our cold temps were what you have for hot ones. IIRC, we ran lower hot psi than we would for RS04s but they were still in the high 30s. That's going on old memory though but I have pretty good confidence in it.
    Last edited by Phat-S; 10-25-2011 at 08:25 PM. Reason: correcting tire info
    Adam in Charlotte
    #42 ITA CRX Si