Thread: Adding GPS and Speed to Aim

Default Adding GPS and Speed to Aim

Anyone use the GPS-2 add on for aim Mychron 3 Plus? http://www.competitiondata.com/sensors/pg11_gps.htm I know it would be nice to jump out and buy a new system,but thought this might be a compromise for time being.
    Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1986 RX-7 ITS #63. "Diesel Haulin' Rotary" 2005 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab The Hemi has retired "Long Live the Hemi" Bill Weaver Driver- 2004 NYSRRC John Chave Award. 2006 & 2013 ITS NYSRRC Champion!. Truck Driver Named Glen Region Worker of the Year 2008.Located 45 miles southeast of Watkins Glen in Sayre PA.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...asp?RecID=8086

Tom, this is the AIM GPS unit, current production. It appears it's not compatible with the MyChron3. I'm a MXL user.

The unit you're looking at is very expensive at 600+, and this about is half that. I'd call AIM, and inquire directly before taking the plunge.

Whenever you're mixing two manufacturers on things like this, be careful as software upgrades can orphan you, and create issues.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Have you considered the Solo? It's got GPS and three-axis accelerometers for $400, along with track mapping.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

What's a good GPS based in car lap timer? Inexpensive...
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

Yeah Ben...good question. I would like some recommendations also.

Something simple. Don't like track side ray guns.

I know price is a serious subject, but consider making the jump to integrated data and video. You can compare sector (that you define) times, and can see exactly where you brake, accelerate, turn in, apex, etc. Very few drivers can remember exactly what they did at every turn on every lap!

Ease of installation and use are also considerations.
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

Bill--It is not a price point I am looking for but simplicity--Just a GPS lap timer.

Any brand ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Z3_GoCar View Post
    Have you considered the Solo? It's got GPS and three-axis accelerometers for $400, along with track mapping.
    The only thing I found for this was listed for sale in Austrailia and New Zeland? Any USA website?
    Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1986 RX-7 ITS #63. "Diesel Haulin' Rotary" 2005 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab The Hemi has retired "Long Live the Hemi" Bill Weaver Driver- 2004 NYSRRC John Chave Award. 2006 & 2013 ITS NYSRRC Champion!. Truck Driver Named Glen Region Worker of the Year 2008.Located 45 miles southeast of Watkins Glen in Sayre PA.

Quote Originally Posted by tdw6974 View Post
    The only thing I found for this was listed for sale in Austrailia and New Zeland? Any USA website?
    The first case were delivered to Bimmerworld, but I'd expect them to be at most AIM retailers soon. How I found our about them:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...1692018&page=5

There's a version comming soon with the ability to read data from an ECU, for throttle position as an example. It'll be $600 and availible in late September.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Check "HarrysLap timer" for droid
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

Check this timer out - almost a data logger for $399. Hoping Mrs. Santa gets me one!

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...asp?RecID=8780
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

I have been playing with the AIM Solo GPS based lap timer for about a week. It seems to work very well. It retails for $399.00.

For those that have an OBD II port on their race car the AIM SoloDL plugs into the OBD II port and pulls all the OBD info out and stores it as well. That one goes for $699.00.
    When you plug the SoloDL into a Aim SmartyCam the two talk to each other seamlessly and the OBD II data can overlay right into the video.

Pretty cool stuff. I have been "testing" the SoloDL in my street car setup in point to point mode (what you would use for autocross or rally) and then downloading the data out when I get to work.
    Both units have a predictive lap timer function as well.

Since my racecar does not have OBD II, I will be putting the regular Solo into for the coming season.

cheers
    dave parker
    "Ignore All Confrontations With Common Sense."