Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "RAL" NERRC Regional at NHMS 8/6-7

So yea... Saturday was a mess! The car pushed bad and didn't have much more grip on the rear. I knew my tires were used up, but damn!! The car was also too loud causing me to end ITA qual early I added a turn down(out) for STU quali, but even after a tire pressure change and then a toe change, I still struggled with the car's handling. I don't know the track real well and didn't expect to set records, but it was awful!!!! It also didn't help that the gearing wasn't working out very well for me. I felt like I was rowing the car around the track and if I found ANY more speed I was going to need to shift to 5th on the front straight or buzz the rev limiter in 4th!! I had known from looking at DL1 files that this would be an issue, and purchased a whole 'nother rear end, but I'd not had time to install it yet :/

The ITA qual race was exciting as I started at back. I was able to make some progress, had a decent race with a couple guys, but I was still giving up alot in the turns. Then with a few laps to go I ended up by myself and the sound guys got me again!!! The temperature had also just spiked a couple times, so I pulled in what turned out to be two laps early...

As soon as I turned the car off I found the cause of the temp spikes, a leaking rad!!! Just a pin hole, but I could hear and then feel the steam pushing out the top corner of the rad!

Needless to say, I didn't make the STU race and Saturday night was very busy! We changed the whole rear dif housing to one I'd just purchased and picked up (on the way to the track!). This unit had a 4.1 vs the 4.6 that was in the car. We removed and repaired the rad with some JB weld, (LOL) Undid the front toe change I had made trying to get the car to turn, unhooked the front bar (Mark Gregory made me do it), installed a 90 on the exhuast, readied the "good" tires (rain was likely so we didn't install them), and did all the usual night checks. Oh and we threw on some vinyl that Stephen Blethen had been nice enough to make up on short notice!

Time for a snack, more to come soon and some vids!
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

Wow... Short but full weekend for me as I was balancing being "dad" and selfish racing fun. Showed on Sunday and was a little nervous to have my first lap a "live" lap... Though I had a blast working through traffic.

I had a major issue with a certain EP car who fundamentally could not understand that he was in the process of screing on race, screwed another clearly and was racing like a headless chicken in the middle of a very close ITA race. The hard part of me when I talked with the driver afterwards was his lack of situational awareness. If you are putting everything you have into going forward... Bad stuff and silly stuff goes down. Linda had a moment in T2 as a result and it was nervous for me passing her, hopefully there was a learning here.

Victor won his first race.... Pete won his first race since 1980 something, and I had my first win. Felt amazing and had big flashes of building the car in the driveway, in the winter, in the snow, without a job. I was too excited in the car video to a level that I am almost embarrassed, abut it was a great feeling. There are a lot of people who have helped me fix the car, the driver, offered advice, taken my text at strange times, etc... Much thanks to everyone.
    Brad
    1995 Mazda Miata (aka Black Betty)

Congratulations Brad on your first win! I do have to correct your post, to let you (and I'm sure most people here already know) that Saturday was my First win of this season, but certainly not my first win in the past 10 years of racing in ITA. [I don't know the count but probably won around eight races or so.]

Victor
    #03 ITA
    www.victorgangi.com
    (disclaimer-website not updated due to little children in my house/life)
    Last edited by biovic; 08-11-2011 at 11:10 AM.

Well... That is not as much fun! Your having won races befor ruined an interesting storyline!
    Brad
    1995 Mazda Miata (aka Black Betty)

Sorry Brad to be buzzkill. (And since your videos are super pro, I could never top those) You're right, I'll admit a win is always exciting, and since they don't happen too often for me even, it's great to have the checkered flag (currently displayed in my work office).

Victor

Good job to everyone in ITA and STU! I had a great time! It was great to actually be racing again!

Here are the best parts of my weekend, the starts!!! First time using the GoProHD's, need to tweak the mounting a bit, but it's ntb and my focus for these WAS the driver cuz I have another front pointing camara... The point is, you might wanna make the front ones big for better viewing.

ITA Race Start
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cb6Nph7PymQ[/ame]

ITA Race Start (rear view) Pardon the sound :/
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPiSRbb75zU&NR=1[/ame]

The ITA start was fun... as were the qual race starts, the STU race start was off the freaking chain!!!! Not flawless, but VERY exciting! just count the cars!

STU Race Start
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oVzQaGhZ1s[/ame]

STU Race Start (rear view)
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8iD9-joNWM&NR=1[/ame]
    Last edited by CRallo; 08-15-2011 at 12:37 AM.
    Chris Rallo "the kid"

Good stuff Chris - gotta adjust that front view
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

Quote Originally Posted by benspeed View Post
    Good stuff Chris - gotta adjust that front view
    Thanks Ben!!! How about that STU start? 3 wide on the banking baby!

In regards to the in car view, I don't disagree, and thank you very much for watching, but did you READ my post?
    Chris Rallo "the kid"

I missed the "first time use" - once you have it tweaked it'll be awesome. Nice driving man
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion