Thread: "Vintage" IT Rules, ie 1989 or Earlier?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

2nd Gen RX7 answers both of those questins -- don't have to build and can buy cheap, and it is a winner....

Don't worry, I am with you on the sale price of a race car. I probably have $50k+ (well, a lot of plus) in TR8 build and development costs since 2004...and I bet I couldn't get any more for it than Ron got for his Z car ($7k).

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    Me too! But...BUILD a car? $$$$$$$$...
    AND...the (quite literally), $64,000 question: Will it be a winner?

Jeff, yea, sadly even $4k would be a stretch, even with it's provence! (I just had to use that word for one time in my life, LOL)
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    2nd Gen RX7 answers both of those questins -- don't have to build and can buy cheap, and it is a winner
    Except these guys aren't asking that question...Bueller? Bueller?

They want and love their Gen 1's. Focus!!!!
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    Except these guys aren't asking that question...Bueller? Bueller?

They want and love their Gen 1's. Focus!!!!
    Actually, the question was if anyone recalled the difference between the current rules and the ones back in the 80s. And to think I was concerned if posting in this forum would get any attention (LOL)

I appreciate the rarity of the 1st gen motors. Considering the previous cars I have vintage raced (Fiat 128, 1st gen Honda Civic 1200, and currently a Datsun 610), at least there are still 1st gen RX7s out there! It is unlikely you will ever see any of my previous models on Craigslist. Rarity is relative. I once drove 800 miles round trip for a 128 parts car.

Anyway, if practicality, availability of parts, ease to work on, decent suspensions, or reliability were requirements for vintage racing, that would eliminate 95% of the grid!!! I won my class with my Fiat a number of times because I was the only one of 10 or 15 in my class to get to the false grid for the feature!

Another factor of longevity is the frequency and level of racing. Typical race year for my is 3-4 race weekends. Likewise, while you are probably going 10/10ths, the majority of time I am driving 8/10ths- 7/10ths if there is no one to dice with. I got 8 seasons (29 race weekends) out of the motor I built for my Fiat 128. Mobil 1 is good, but so is stroking it when your buddies are on the trailer.

Is 1989 old? It's old enough for us in the VSCDA! Come out and join us- just don't put a fender on the guy next to you. Even Miatas are welcome, assuming if someone can help me figure out what the IT rules were in the 80s so since the club requires prep to that era's rules (hey, we came full circle!).

Thanks for chiming in- you IT guys are certainly an enthusiastic group, even when you don't agree with each other.

Thanks,
    Marc in Indy
    1975 Datsun 610 ITB rat rod vintage race refugee

To reply to "all' of the above; The carb option is a dying technology and will only get harder to get quality carb parts. The RX7 12A carb was a pain from the start to race. Some figured it out, but many still struggle to get a clean burn at al throtle positions. Corner exit is a problem for many that the fuel injection would solve.

I have no plans yet to build an IT-7R, but would welcome the option of fuel injection, even with a restrictor.

I met a guy at the VIR tavern this past July that had done a carb conversion on a Renesis and had it in the first gen chassis. I forgot his name, nice fellow, a vet.

You could put a little Holley or Demon carb on it - no shortage whatsoever of those carb parts and there isn't going to be for a long time to come. I mean, if you're making the rules then make the rules. An carb conversion Renesis sounds plausible.

Heresy, I know.

Why don't we just put a Miata engine in.

When the Miata first came out there were kits to put a rotary in them, so surely it could be made to work.

I'm proud to be on a LeMons/Chump team that runs an "Mx-7" - it's a 1988 Gen2 Rx-7 with a 1.6 liter Miata motor. The car is quite slow, easy to drive, and gets great mileage. Add the latter to the 16gal(?) stock tank and we rarely refuel. But it begs for more hp.
    The extra 1" length of the 1.8 would be a problem. Don't know how either would fit in a Gen1 Rx-7.