Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Vintage" IT Rules, ie 1989 or Earlier?

Default "Vintage" IT Rules, ie 1989 or Earlier?

My midwest vintage racing club (VSCDA) recently updated our last year of eligible cars from 1972 to 1989. This means I can race a 1st gen RX7 that I always wanted to own back in the 80s. The last year are cars can be prepped to is the 1989 SCCA GCR. Before I rush out an get an RX7, I need to have a feel for what was allowable car prep in the late 80s. Can anyone describe in general (or specific) terms how the rules differed then vs now? New safety stuff is not an issue, as my club already mandates fuel cells, fire systems, seat back braces, catch tanks, etc. I am more looking for what "go fast" mods currently allowed were not allowed back then.

I wasn't sure if this question was better suited for this forum or for the General Discussion forum. Thanks for your help.

Marc in Indy

GREAAAaaat.... like I wasn't feeling old enough already, now 1989 is VINTAGE????

Glenn Lawton
    GSMmotorsports
    #14 ITS RX7
    NARRC ITS Champion 2012
    NERRC ITS Champion 2013 12 11 10 09 08
    NERRC STU Champion 2010

Quote Originally Posted by lawtonglenn View Post
    ...1989 is VINTAGE????
    "Kids" born in 1989 are drinking...legally.

You're old.

I may have a 1992-ish GCR and Showroom Stock regs, but probably nothing earlier. I'll look, though. You need to know that way back in those bad old days all the category rules were in separate books: you bought the GCR and then you separately purchased the category rules you were interested in (Showroom Stock, Formula cars, Production, GT, etc). If I remember correctly, the Improved Touring regs were published within the Showroom Stock category book...?

GA

Quote Originally Posted by 128 racecar View Post
    My midwest vintage racing club (VSCDA) recently updated our last year of eligible cars from 1972 to 1989. This means I can race a 1st gen RX7 that I always wanted to own back in the 80s. The last year are cars can be prepped to is the 1989 SCCA GCR. Before I rush out an get an RX7, I need to have a feel for what was allowable car prep in the late 80s. Can anyone describe in general (or specific) terms how the rules differed then vs now? New safety stuff is not an issue, as my club already mandates fuel cells, fire systems, seat back braces, catch tanks, etc. I am more looking for what "go fast" mods currently allowed were not allowed back then.

I wasn't sure if this question was better suited for this forum or for the General Discussion forum. Thanks for your help.

Marc in Indy
    Do a LITTLE thinking on this. The 1st gen RX-7 is going through a tough time parts-wise. 12A rotor housings are VERY scarce...VERY. Go with a nice 2nd gen car!!!
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

If you must get a first gen,get the 13b GSL-SE prepped to ITS spec.

It will be easier in a few years to get parts as the 13b was produced longer and the parts are still available. The tough part is the REGI engine in the first gen is specific to that car.

Going to rankle some local feathers here of some folks that I like a lot.

There is a move afoot in the SEDiv to create a new class for the 1st Gen RX7s call IT7R. There are two competing camps as I understand it, one in Florida that is using a modded Renesis designed to accept a carb, and the other here in NC that is using a Renesis with a Megasquirt system.

I understand the desire to keep these cars running, and the folks involved are all good folks, but (and I have some self interest here no doubt) do we really need this from a big picture perspective?

Would it be better if these car owners moved to 2nd Gen ITS cars, or put 13bs in the 12a cars and ran in ITS?

It seems to me that the cost of coverting to a Renesis woudl be similar if not more than the cost of acquiring a decent 2nd Gen ITS car. I understand the point that the IT7 guys like running on Toyos for cost reasons, and I get that -- it's a good point.

In any event, thoughts on this?
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    Going to rankle some local feathers here of some folks that I like a lot.
    Would it be better if these car owners moved to 2nd Gen ITS cars, or put 13bs in the 12a cars and ran in ITS?
    In any event, thoughts on this?
    They already have a class for cars with swaps. It's called STU.
    ...Just sayin'.

What about running the Renesis or 13b in IT7 with a restrictor plate to keep them equal to the 12A and just keep them in the same class instead of creating another offshoot class that applies to only one ancient car?

FF is moving to the Honda Fit engine in order to keep the class alive. I see this as the same move.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

Guys that are racing the 1st-gen RX-7 generally have no interest in the 2nd-gen car. They're in the first gen because it's a good car, fun to drive, value-priced in the market, and reasonably plentiful. And they get to compete against other cars like themselves in IT7/Spec-RX7 Their major problems are twofold:

- The IT process fails them in ITA, and for various reasons they can't/won't be moved to ITB, and
    - The 12A engine is running out of parts.

There are many ways to address this, but not within the current structure and philosophy of Improved Touring. For example, to address the housing problem we can offer low cost loans to those that can't affo....ooops, sorry, wrong forum...to address the problem with worn-out housings we can allow re-finishing of the them, where they're plated and machined (similar in philosophy to the original reason for allowing overbores in IT, that being the ability to service the blocks.) This would allow the existing fleet of engines to be rebuilt.

As for the process failing the -7, the market has responded with numerous options, such as IT7, Spec RX-7, and now IT7Renesis (the first I've heard of this, BTW). I have been a big proponent of these various classes, and have been vocal that if I were to start from scratch today I'd pick up one of these cars for a song and go play. But, especially with this revelation, I see one major problem: various factions fighting with various rules.

We've been chatting up here in the NE about this class, and I've told the players that if this is going to be successful then they need to get together a national committee to standardize the rules.There's enough of these cars around - both active and sitting in garages - that they can have a pretty nice group. But they have to standardize. The base group should be a set of rules that mimic the car's prep in IT -- call it IT7 Classic. As part of that ruleset they should explicitly allow plating and repair of the housings (frankly, I'd be doing it anyway if I were racing one). Then from there they work together to develop a spec carb and intake to bolt onto the 2nd-Gen 13B that can be dropped into the 1st-gen chassis, with a weight to being it into performance parity with the "classic". now, if others want the Renesis in there, then they can do the same thing for that, too (though I have to imagine the costs of buying that engine must be pretty steep compared to the 2nd-gen engine).

But like the growth of Spec Miata it's all gotta be consistent nationwide. And it can be done.

GA

Greg makes a lot of good points.

Only thing I'd add. The IT7 drivers I know (good friends and good racers all) generally say the following about moving to a "traditional" IT class:

1. They already have the car and the cage, and spares, and they want to stay in the 1st Gen chassis.

2. They don't want to go to B because of cage issues, and wheel issues (they mostly run on 13X7s right now).

3. They don't want to run ITS in 2nd Gen cars because those cars are viewed as more finicky, and more importantly, they lose there spec tire (Toyos) that last (for many of them) a season or sometimes more.

Just throwing that into the mix for thoughts.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

In general, if you have a group of people LOCALLY, who want to create a LOCAL class, to generate LOCAL dollars for the LOCAL region...

...You do it.

The Challenge is to (to steal a tree-hugging term) think globally and act locally. Get buy in from the IT7 and Spec7 factions all over the country that 'these' are the rules and you would like to keep them from getting buthered. Create a Chairman, Secretary, and committee, get a website and have it serve as the home for IT7R. Allow seemless movement from either S7 or IT7...

I think you should go with IT7LS1 myself...
    Andy Bettencourt

Basically there are 2 proposals in the Southeast.

Both use the Renesis motor because it is the newest and will have the longest availability of parts. Second gen housings and cast irons will get scarce and we are not getting rid of our spares.

One proposal uses injection and has some changes to brakes, etc. Problem is some of these cars will be going faster than their chassis or brakes can handle, and the trans will suffer as well. I suggested they run small TB to choke HP to close to 12A levels.

Other proposal uses an adaptor to put the stock 12A carb and intake on the renesis and leaves the rest of the car alone. Power should be slightly more than 12A but below ITS levels.

At the moment we have guys building both as test mules to see what works and is cost effective and then a proposal is made to the RE's of SEDIV to adopt it as a regional class. Until then regions can allow them to run as provisional as we do F600 now.

I have the entire rule proposal for the carb version if anyone wants to see it. Might be better elsewhere so we stop thread jacking, but vintage 12A anything is an expensive proposition with rebuilt housings going for $750 plus. We did some 13B housings narrowed and re-machined for a vintage 12A car and it is not cheap.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

Is the 2nd Gen stuff getting that scarce?

Again, I'm looking at this from a biased perspective, but it sure seems like getting a 2nd Gen car would be cheaper than a Renesis conversion? I know Blair has one, and Rex too.

That said, I understand their attachment to the 1st Gen chassis. I certainly can't be one to criticize irrational love for a race car.....lol.....
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

As a guy with four sets of every 12a engine part, yet getting ONE engine is doubtful, here's my take.

Gregs right. The Process fails the car, sorta. One, the Process power is optimistic. MAYbe one guy in the country can make it, but maybe not. BUT, even if they lowered it to a more realistic number, ITA is still not the right class, because the PW ratio makes the car too light...far lighter than is can actually weigh.

As for the typical situation, the motor parts can't be found. Now, there ARE good aftermarket solutions for using the old shot for current rules parts, and they add no measurable power, but they are illegal. (Philosophically, Greg's right, the solution matches the piston engine rebuild method)

In my time on the ITAC, it got discussed, but, there was no support behind allowing replating, etc. Somebody mentioned VW hubs, and Nissan distributor gears, and it went downhill from there. "Tell them to move on, they've had their day in the sun" was the general consensus.

Here's the bottom line to me:
    My car, which holds a bunch of track records etc, is worth, with some spares, (if it had the track record engine in and running) MAYbe $4K .
    NObody will pay more and there are a BUNCH for sale all the time for less.

So, I can:
    -Buy one of those $3000 cars, and use the engine and convert it to spares.....BUT, that engines likely a questionable quantity at best, and a short fused time bomb at worst. So, $3K to stay in place and get a short extension on life.
    -Get my parts replated (I actually have to sort through everything with a fine Steve Eckerdged comb to make sure I can't get one engine from 4) and run ...illegally. That will probably end up costing $2500 or so.
    -Convert to a 13B and run ITS. New brakes, wheels, hubs, suspension geometry, (and parts!) engine and electronics. Gulp. THAT won't be cheap. And I'll have a car worth.....$4K. Cuz it sure aint gonna win ITS with a live axle, 145 hp, and struts!
    - Get a 2nd Gen car and move on. The real issue with that is: It's a whole different car. I'll need to relearn all the stuff I've learned about the old one...and that's fine, BUT, IT is only 3-5 years younger, so I'm really only buying a few years at best. Now, I might be able to dump my car, and get into a new(er) 2nd gen for $6 - 8K all up, so it's not that bad, but, it's an interim step for sure.

So I see where the guys are coming from with the Renesis motor. If you're going to change it, at least do it so you're not doing it again in 3 or 4 years.

To me, just adding an allowance for plating in the ITCS for rotary sideplates and housings makes the most sense, but, I think the ITAC will allow that right after they allow a Viper engine to run in the TR8...
    Last edited by lateapex911; 08-01-2011 at 04:29 PM.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

I agree with everything Jake wrote. It's a real quandry for the 12A guys. Great car, lots of history, good group of drivers.

But I knew when Russ Marshall's car didn't sell at $3k or whatever he was asking for it that the class was in trouble. Honestly Jake, I think you'd have a hard time getting $4k for your car just because of where IT7 is now, and not anything to do with the car itself.

I look at those options and, with an "ITS racing in the SEDiv is really good right now" bias, just see getting a $6-8k 2nd Gen car as the best option. They are known quantities, bugs have been sorted, and they are a great race car. But that is me.

We'll see how it plays out.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

RX8? I mean , if you want the newest thing and to limit your relearning... I know a guy in NC who could build you a real nice one.

My Miata has a 1989 production date, can I play?
    Jerry
    NER South

It doesn't matter what WE would do. It matters what they want. The key to lasting success is a simple package and a ruleset that can cross over Regions. Adapt a carb to the 13BR and size it to create a power target window. Eliminates ECU's etc.
    Andy Bettencourt

Quote Originally Posted by Chip42 View Post
    RX8? I mean , if you want the newest thing and to limit your relearning... I know a guy in NC who could build you a real nice one.
    Me too! But...BUILD a car? $$$$$$$$...
    AND...the (quite literally), $64,000 question: Will it be a winner?

Jeff, yea, sadly even $4k would be a stretch, even with it's provence! (I just had to use that word for one time in my life, LOL)
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Actually, Jake, the word you wanted to use was "provenance". (unless you're from France)
    Tom Lyttle
    Decatur, GA
    IT7 Mazda - 2006, 2008 SARRC Champion
    ITS Nissan 200SX - finally running correctly
    FP Ford Capri - waiting for a comp adjustment
    GT3 Dodge Daytona - what was I thinking?

2nd Gen RX7 answers both of those questins -- don't have to build and can buy cheap, and it is a winner....

Don't worry, I am with you on the sale price of a race car. I probably have $50k+ (well, a lot of plus) in TR8 build and development costs since 2004...and I bet I couldn't get any more for it than Ron got for his Z car ($7k).

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    Me too! But...BUILD a car? $$$$$$$$...
    AND...the (quite literally), $64,000 question: Will it be a winner?

Jeff, yea, sadly even $4k would be a stretch, even with it's provence! (I just had to use that word for one time in my life, LOL)
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8