Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Summer Thunder at NJMP

Default Summer Thunder at NJMP

The Jersey Racing Board (Northern New Jersey and South Jersey regions) will be conducting a MARRS - NARRC - NJRRS championship series event at New Jersey Motorsports Park. This event is the Summer Thunder regional races on the Thunderbolt course on 20-21 August. This will be the only head to head competition between MARRS and NARRC in 2011.

There will be a separate SCCA Test Day on Friday, 19 August on the Thunderbolt course.

Online registration is now open at on the DLB site - Select South Jersey Region as the Club to see the event calender.

Supps and Schedule ... Register ... Entry List

Terry

Group 1 - IT7, ITA, ITC, SRX7, SSB, SSC, T3 - 19 entries
    Group 2 - CF, F500, FF, FST, FV, NCF - 25 entries
    Group 3 - SM, SM5 - 42 entries
    Group 4 - CSR, DSR, FB, FA, FC, FM, FS, FE, S2000, CFC, ASR, S2, VS2, HS2 - 16 entries
    Group 5 - EP, FP, GTL, GTP, HP, SPU, Legends, STU, STL - 21 entries
    Group 6 - SRF, SR - 21 entries
    Group 7 - ITB, ITR, ITS - 43 entries
    Group 8 - GT1, GT2, GT3, GTA, ITE, SPO, T1, T2, AS, STO - 20 entries
    Group 9 - SSM, SM2 - 40 entries
    Thanks,
    Darrell Anthony

Where are the results?

John.

This was the best attended SCCA event at NJMP to date. We had almost 270 entries and the weather held out. I would like to thank the folks from NNJR, SJR and all other regions who made the trek out to work this event. We saw many volunteers from NE and WDC as well.

The fields were great especially IT....It looked like a train out there and Thiele kicked but two days in a row. There were many racers from Maryland and VA and all loved NJMP which was good to hear. THANK YOU TO ALL who came to NJMP...... We are finally getting on the map as a location that is easy on the racer financially and with many great amenities as well very local. Big thanks to the ZANE FAMILY....rumors have it that they may start their own region......lol....
    Proud sponsor of the TEAMDI PROIT SERIES and F2000 CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES

Quote Originally Posted by yannisalex2000 View Post
    Where are the results?

John.
    I have Group 1 (ITA/7, SRX7, SSB/C, etc) results in my truck. I will scan and post tomorrow.

On a personal note, the weekend was great! first time there, started P10 with 1.40 qual time (slow), got up to P8 in qual race with 1.38 and moved up to P2 in race with a blistering 1.35.5.

Finally caught up with Ed York in lap 15. His tires and brakes were starting to go. We were running really close (~3") at turns 1, 2 and 3. My turns in points and apexing were totally blind now since I had no cues other than Ed's bumper. At a certain part of the turn Ed was slower, I was faster, I simpy went too wide after the kinck on the back straight away. The rear left tire hooked in on the far side of the rumble stripes, it finally let loose and the car spin was inevitable. We lost the car into the opposite tire wall just after the stands. All is fine except for passenger-side fender, door, rear quarter panel and glass, hood, windshield and front driver side fender...photos forthcoming.

I spent some time at medical and I am fine. I don't have a soar neck at this point. I remember slowing down enough during the spin that the impact was more like 45-50 mph into the tires and not more (i.e. 90+ mph). It could have been worse for me and the car. It looks like mostly skin and glass damage which was re-affirmed by Tom Aquilante which I had the pleasure of racing with him in his SSB Camaro @ 3725 lbs... gulp MONSTER!

Big thanks for everyone's support, encouragement and sympathies. Ed York came up to me after the race and apologized 10 times even though it was NOT his fault I creeped up on his bumper and I lost it. Ed's next statement was the highlight of my weekend, "so have you ever been to ARRC, that's where all the fast drivers go.... well, well that's where you should go too." Ah, bliss.

Ciao for now
    Last edited by mossaidis; 08-22-2011 at 04:35 PM. Reason: grammar
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

Mickey - Glad you are OK and the car should just be skin. Looked 'bad' from where we saw you come in.

Bob - Thanks for the use of the truck and trailer. That was a fun weekend. Tell Jaclyn she can use the car for a school if she wants to join in on all the fun.

John - From past events and the posting of the results they should be on NeSCCA.com by Thursday.

Foley's - Congratulations to Rob abnd Robbie! But most of all to Cathy and Steph as crew and cheerleaders. Steph is next?
    Last edited by dtanthon; 08-22-2011 at 05:10 PM.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Anthony

This one was a major thrash to make, with car issues and busted-ass truck; at least the biblical precipitation held off until on 295 between Cherry Hill and Trenton on the way home.

This was my son's first race on a Novice Permit, running my ITB car in STL, and did really good, getting racey at the start and passing the two cars that sort of outpowered him at the green by out-braking and going underneath them at T1. Motored around reasonably clean, lapping a bunch of LBC's the small-bore classes, and IIRC finished 9 or 10 of 22 overall and 3rd in STL. So in his first race ever gets a podium. Ran consistent mid-high 1:41's breaking his own air with no draft.

Me in ITB, well, this was one of the tightest races I have ever run. Any of us in the top 6 could have won. Jack Banha was leading but had something happen mechanical causing him to fall back, Nat Wentworth spun with only a few to go, leaving Marty Raguckas in the lead, Tom Martin in 2nd, Michael Reece in 3rd and me right on his bumper in 4th. I got by a couple of time into T1 but got over/undered by T2. Tom was having brake issues with lock-up and lost 2nd, I was close, and had a better run out of the tail of the devil on the final lap, but didn't have the straightline to even think about a pass by S/F. I ran a 1:40.0 in the race which was a personal best at Thunderbolt. Unfortunately, no video as the kid being in Group 5 and me in Group 7, things were busy in between getting him out of impound, gassing and going the car and making false grid.

I'm just glad in my household we made the weekend happen.
    Rob Foley
    Race: ITB '87 CRX Si
    Autocross: GP '86 Civic Si

Me again, is Chris Humphrey okay? Tom Aquilante and I were in the running behind Chris and Emilee (sp?) and Emilee lost brakes, turn in, etc at end of the back straight away. She went off course and then back on course with ass end first and took out Chris and his miata in what appeared to me via my rear view mirror as... "painful".

Mickey
    '92 Honda Civic Si

Quote Originally Posted by mossaidis View Post
    Me again, is Chris Humphrey okay? Tom Aquilante and I were in the running behind Chris and Emilee (sp?) and Emilee lost brakes, turn in, etc at end of the back straight away. She went off course and then back on course with ass end first and took out Chris and his miata in what appeared to me via my rear view mirror as... "painful".

Mickey
    He's OK, by chance talked to him at Smarty's trailer while getting some tires mounted late Saturday afternoon. He was already trying to figure out whether to do a front clip or start off with another caged tub from Planet Miata.
    Rob Foley

Mickey
    Mickey,
    I hope you are OK. Sounds bad. Gonna be ready for Narrc Offs in Oct.
    Dan Deyo
    92 Acura Integra
    ITA #94

Mickey
    Thank you for your concern. I’m okay my neck is a little stiff today, but not bad. It’s the disappointment of tearing up one of the best ITA Miata’s in the country that’s got me bummed out.
    I just got in from taking the bumper cover, radiator and other bent up parts off and the good news is it doesn’t appear to have gotten into the motor.
    So with a boat load of OT at work and some long nights in the garage I’ll be back on track at some point.

Glad both you guys were fine after the crashes.

Chris, I just sent Mickey a message - if you guys want to offload some body work, I've got a body and car repair shop here in Baltimore behind my garage who have done decent work on my cars, at hourly rates that are *way* below what I paid anywhere else. Labor here in Baltimore seems generally pretty cheap.

Except for the bad crashes, I enjoyed the Group 1 races a lot. Had an intense SSC battle (yes, these still exist) with Rob Crawford in the red Neon, involving some ITA Miatae that were running similar times. Also double-dipped as an STL car in group 5 - ended up racing with the two beautiful GTL Minis that were, as it should be, driven by two veteran guys. Turns out one of them (yellow Mini) lives in FL, spends 3 months each summer in the Northeast to escape FL and race here, and races FL for the rest of the year. His comment: "It's great if you don't have to work anymore!"
    Astrophysathingy / goaheadtakethewheel.com
    99 Civic SI #9 WDCR ITS/STL
    93 Corolla / 97 PDX Miata

thanks Kai! it's good to have options! Time and money is tight, so I will to get some more quotes and options before we commit to anything.

I am not sure we'll be NARRCoffs or the Fun One @ WGI. I am heading to Sicily for 10 days beginning on Friday and we're on a budget already, so... the body work may have to wait. I was thinking about going with the no frills option this morning: aftermarket primerpainted body panels, aftermarket glass, decals and just bend everything else back into place. Tires are take-offs from an ITR BMW. So, as with anything right now, I will say "maybe"
    Last edited by mossaidis; 08-23-2011 at 11:11 AM.
    '92 Honda Civic Si

The shop Kai brought his to made some of wonder what would be in his future. Prices were crazy low and they did a nice job.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Rob Foley

...photos forthcoming.

At least I have my OEM washer bottle there...
    Last edited by mossaidis; 08-23-2011 at 10:35 PM.
    '92 Honda Civic Si

Sweet! That's the "Noeske Look", good for the street cred...

Ugh.

The caption was in my mind "Greg Amy, eat your heart out". But I got sad and just uploaded these silly photos. It DOES look mean now, the hoodies in my neighborhood we're saying "Dam YO!" "OMG, shiii da look nasty!" "Yo baldy, how fas jou wa goin?" I reply, "ah.... 1.35.5" They said "WOW! da fricken fas yo!" I replied "have you gone to NJMP? Do you know where it is?" "No..." That's gold my friends, pure gold.

I wonder if SCCA will let me just repair the glass, get a mirror, lamps, change fenders and just hammer out the rest of the dents before I can ran at NARRCoffs?
    Last edited by mossaidis; 08-24-2011 at 08:36 AM.
    '92 Honda Civic Si

I wonder if SCCA will let me just repair the glass, get a mirror, lamps, change fenders and just hammer out the rest of the dents before I can ran at NARRCoffs?
    See if you can get it fixed. But if not, as long as the safety equipment is resolved (e.g., glass, mirrors, lenses, etc) the worst that will probably happen is a "fix by next race" notation in your logbook. I can't imagine anyone telling you that you cannot compete for the weekend. - GA

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    See if you can get it fixed. But if not, as long as the safety equipment is resolved (e.g., glass, mirrors, lenses, etc) the worst that will probably happen is a "fix by next race" notation in your logbook. I can't imagine anyone telling you that you cannot compete for the weekend. - GA
    Exactly my thoughts... "Your honor, I present Exhibit A, many Spec Miatae, pre race conditions."
    Last edited by mossaidis; 08-24-2011 at 10:50 AM.
    '92 Honda Civic Si