Thread: Runoffs Drivers at the ARRC by GRM?

Default Runoffs Drivers at the ARRC by GRM?

As some of you know, there's been a long-standing policy that drivers who participate at the Runoffs cannot enter the ARRC by GRM in the same class. This was implemented so we (Atlanta Region) are not seen as competing with the Runoffs for entries plus it adds to the "Regional Driver's National Championship" nature of the event. Last year Topeka said they'd actually PREFER we eliminate that restriction, but I've not been able to overcome the second objection in the racing community. In the past cars have had to go through the dual-homologation process and/or we've had invent classes for everyone to play in, and quite frankly that's been a PITA.

So what if we did this?

"Runoffs drivers that enter the ARRC by GRM in the same class will automatically waive their finishing position at the ARRC and be listed behind all non-Runoffs drivers on the official results. Any track records set by those drivers will still be valid assuming they are competing in a compliant car."

What this means is you guys can all race together in your "proper" class, but the Runoffs drivers will be moved to the bottom of the sheet on the official results page. If the official winner (which means s/he is a non-Runoffs driver) chooses to hand the trophy to a Runoffs driver than might have finished ahead of them that's up to the individual parties.

I'd like to make a final decision on this at our Aug. 22 Race Board meeting, so let me know whatcha think...
    Butch Kummer
    Former SCCA Director of Club Racing (July 2012 - Sept 2014)
    2006, 2007, 2010 SARRC GTA Champion

I'm a special case, being in a non-National class, so it might be different for other folks but I say "Let 'em race, give 'em their due." I view this as a shot over the bow of the Regional/National distinction, and an opportunity to show that "regional-only" drivers can compete - and should compete - with the best in our business.

K

As an IT racer it wouldn't matter to me one way or another, but I really don't see the need for the restriction at all. I think if I were racing in a national class at the ARRC, I think I would welcome the chance to test myself against the top guns.
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

Personally I'm in favor of letting everyone in regardless, but then I compete in a non-Runoffs class as well. What I'm hearing from some is the fear that letting the Runoffs (aka - "well-funded") drivers in will keep the less serious drivers away, but I also have folks telling me they want to compete against the best regardless.

Last year we added the Runoffs classes and the world didn't explode. If we have the same (non)result by allowing Runoffs drivers to compete in 2011 maybe we can take the next step in 2012?

Y'all really need to not fall asleep during those Cat-Herding 101 classes...
    Butch Kummer
    Former SCCA Director of Club Racing (July 2012 - Sept 2014)
    2006, 2007, 2010 SARRC GTA Champion

Butch,

i've only competed in the ARRC twice but i would say do what maximizes revenue for the region.

many decide/budget at the beginning of the year where they will be for year end (if choosing between runoffs and ARRC, etc.).

hope you pick up some additional drivers/entries by doing this!

and as others have said, many don't cross over because of the IT/regional vs. National nature of the classes anyways.

tom
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

my question would be, if the arrc is effectively a national championship race where regional only classes are allowed to enter, is there something that can be done to make the national/runoff class races different from the runoffs?

Rob Bodle
    Rob Bodle Images, LLC
    RBI Competition

2007 ARRC Three hour "not a real" Enduro ITO Co-Champion.
    2009 ARRC ITO Champion.
    2009 ARRC Enduro Pole Winner
    2010 ARRC ITO Champion(car owner for Cliff Brown)
    2011 ARRC ITO Champion