Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Glen updates?

the big WOW was Thiele with a 2:12.6 in qualifying - yes, not a misprint!

I second this Ben! Nice time Rob no matter when it was done!

Some follow-up on the RX8...
    I came in because the car started to sputter and wasn't running well at all. I could smell fuel and thought I had a bad leak or something... Not the case. The car had a 3/4 of a tank of fuel. We did drop out and replace the tank today and found the source of the smell. I did run it out of gas on Friday and it acted the same as it did in the race which is why I thought I may have had the gas issue. I did have bad plugs which I have now replaced. I also replaced the fuel pumps just in case those were an issue. I am really hoping it runs better, I am heading up to NHMS to do some testing this week. If anyone has any ideas on the sputter issues (after 20min at race speed) let me know.

The other issue with what feels like wheel spin is still a bit of a mystery and my largest concern at this point. I see tons of $$ being spent to figure out what the issue is and I am hoping to figure it out before all that $$ is gone! I am hopefully dropping of the "racing" rear-end on Monday to be looked at. At this point I have no idea what could be wrong with the car. We put it on the lift today and double checked all the suspension and everything appears to be fine. We also did cross weights and they all came out good. I did not drop out the transmission since I didn't have time ao I have not checked the clutch. If the diff comes back without any known issues then I will try to look at that then. I would love it If a few of you wouldn't mind watching a lap or so of the attached video and give me a few ideas on what may be wrong.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz4ooW4geQQ[/ame]

Just added a Youtube video of a few laps of me during qualifying. I was chasing down Dad Please don't give me a hard time about driving! This was only my third time driving the car and only the third session the car was ever on track!

If you watch all the way to the end you will get to see Dan Hall having a little fun

Stephen

PS: I never did find any info on photos for the weekend but I did see a lot of photographers on track. And YES if anyone gets a photo of me shooting some flames I will probably buy it

It sounds like the clutch is slipping.
    Rob Driscoll
    ITS 25
    NER

Quote Originally Posted by robits325is View Post
    It sounds like the clutch is slipping.
    Agreed. BUT why would it only do that in right hand turns? It doesn't do it in a straight line or in left hand turns at all.

If that was wheel spin your Dad would have seen tire smoke.
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

Quote Originally Posted by StephenB View Post
    Agreed. BUT why would it only do that in right hand turns? It doesn't do it in a straight line or in left hand turns at all.
    After watching your video, my guess is that you replaced one open (or broken) rear end with another open rear end, ergo the same result. If that was a slipping clutch, it would happen in LH turns as much as RH. For that matter, it would have happened while going straight... and in any case you sure as Hell would have smelled it after that much slippage, gas fumes or no.
    Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E
    http://www.youtube.com/user/denrael

Didn't think of the smell Gary, good call! Definetly no clutch smells.

Stephen

Thanks Dan and Ben. I wished I could go fast more than one lap.. :-( congrats to Dan for a nice win, we had nothing.
    Rob Thiele - BMW 328is ITR
    www.motorsportcollection.com

Is it a Torsen or a clutchpack? If Torsen, I would check the suspension droop on the right side - if it is lifting the right rear corner, then you could get wheel spin, and a Torsen would behave like an open diff. Do the right and left side have the same travel in droop?
    Dave Youngren
    NER ITA RX7 #71

Ooooo, SUPER thought^^^^! Nice.

And thinking along those lines check rear dsmper rates in rebound. if one is excessive it could hang the corner up perhaps
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Stock on an RX-8 is a torsen...
    Marcus
    miller-motorsports.com - Its always an Adventure (and woefully outdated)
    1.6 ITE/SPU/ST2 Turbo Miata (in pieces... err progress)

Thanks guys! I will check droop tomorrow. I wonder if the shock is damaged? Do you think a bad shock could do that?

Stephen.

PS: rear diff is from a second gen rx7 turbo. Special order through mazdaspeed with a three month wait. I do have someone at a diff/transmission looking at it. Someone smarter than me that knows what they are lookimg at!

Yes, but unlikely. It would literally have to be keeping the wheel from rebounding to the ground and overpowering the spring. Doubtful I think.

But Jake's post got me thinking. Are you running out of suspension travel on that side? Is anything binding? If so, and you are going "infinite wheel rate" you could get spin like that and even with the Torsen (is is a Torsen?) it could act like you had one wheel in the air.

Thanks guys! I will check droop tomorrow. I wonder if the shock is damaged? Do you think a bad shock could do that?

Stephen.

PS: rear diff is from a second gen rx7 turbo. Special order through mazdaspeed with a three month wait. I do have someone at a diff/transmission looking at it. Someone smarter than me that knows what they are lookimg at!
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Stephen.

Stephen,
    IMO you would have noticed very unusual handling characteristics if the rebound was bound up someway especially on entry and mid off. Jack the car up and put another jack under the rear wheel then jack it up and quickley release it to see how the rebound is set. Do this to each wheel you want to check the rebound on. As you jack the wheel up you can also see or feel how the compression is, of course check for leaks.
    Best of luck.

For some fun, here's the in-car of the qualifying race contact in turn 1. Looks a lot worse in Glen's video.

My car is all fixed with some hillbilly body work :-)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_TnA0ZBuuc[/ame]
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

Ben what were you thinking watching tha Armco getting closer and closer? :~)

If you special ordered that diff I would be really disappointed. Very possible if it is the T2 clutch type it is not assembled correctly. If it is a torsen you will be hateing life for years to come in that chassis, they suck for the RX8. Stock Clutch type with a few mods is much better than what you have. When you get it back drop me a line and I will walk you through checking a few things out. Do not waste money throwing parts at the car.

Was the fuel problem the transfer pump?
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

Quote Originally Posted by seckerich View Post
    If you special ordered that diff I would be really disappointed. Very possible if it is the T2 clutch type it is not assembled correctly. If it is a torsen you will be hateing life for years to come in that chassis, they suck for the RX8. Stock Clutch type with a few mods is much better than what you have. When you get it back drop me a line and I will walk you through checking a few things out. Do not waste money throwing parts at the car.

Was the fuel problem the transfer pump?

I am picking the Diff back up tomorrow. Nothing wrong with it, they said it was in perfect shape. I can't remember exactly what they called it but I think they said it was "gear driven" (I was on the phone with them while multitasking at work). I am now thinking it has to do with the "droop" that a few others mentioned. It is a huge difference between the two sides... almost three inches! Coilovers are NOT set to the same spot.

As far at the sputter... we replaced the pump that was on the right side of the tank because it was not working. (Steve, when you say transfer pump are you refering to this one, the one on the passenger side?) We did not change the primary pump on on the drivers side which is what we are going to do now. I didn't happen to have one or I would have done that at the test day. The fuel pressure was not consistant at all. (Installed a permanent gauge inline that is hooked up just before the fuel rail on fuel test port) The fuel pressure was actually dipping as low as 15-20 when it was sputtering AND the fuel pump was humming extremely loud with inconsistant tone. At the test day this past week we tried plugs, coils, alternater, battery, relays, fuses, and checked voltage/amps for various parts. Nothing worked and we packed up a bit early.

Stephen

Steve, I tried to send a PM but I am not sure it ever worked. feel free to e-mail me or PM me. sblethen "at" RSTPerformance.com
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by StephenB; 08-09-2011 at 06:06 PM.

I can't remember exactly what they called it but I think they said it was "gear driven"...
    NOT what you want in a race car, especially one with suspension problems... Any kind of gear/helical diff will go fully open unless both wheels are firmly on the ground. Obviously, yours are not (and won't be when, for example, you hit a good bump and/or run over a curb.) This will be an ongoing source of frustration for you.

If some kind of loaded clutch-type diff is available to you, I'd recommend selling that diff to a street car owner and buying one.

GA