Thread: Glen updates?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Some follow-up on the RX8...
    I came in because the car started to sputter and wasn't running well at all. I could smell fuel and thought I had a bad leak or something... Not the case. The car had a 3/4 of a tank of fuel. We did drop out and replace the tank today and found the source of the smell. I did run it out of gas on Friday and it acted the same as it did in the race which is why I thought I may have had the gas issue. I did have bad plugs which I have now replaced. I also replaced the fuel pumps just in case those were an issue. I am really hoping it runs better, I am heading up to NHMS to do some testing this week. If anyone has any ideas on the sputter issues (after 20min at race speed) let me know.

The other issue with what feels like wheel spin is still a bit of a mystery and my largest concern at this point. I see tons of $$ being spent to figure out what the issue is and I am hoping to figure it out before all that $$ is gone! I am hopefully dropping of the "racing" rear-end on Monday to be looked at. At this point I have no idea what could be wrong with the car. We put it on the lift today and double checked all the suspension and everything appears to be fine. We also did cross weights and they all came out good. I did not drop out the transmission since I didn't have time ao I have not checked the clutch. If the diff comes back without any known issues then I will try to look at that then. I would love it If a few of you wouldn't mind watching a lap or so of the attached video and give me a few ideas on what may be wrong.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz4ooW4geQQ[/ame]

Just added a Youtube video of a few laps of me during qualifying. I was chasing down Dad Please don't give me a hard time about driving! This was only my third time driving the car and only the third session the car was ever on track!

If you watch all the way to the end you will get to see Dan Hall having a little fun

Stephen

PS: I never did find any info on photos for the weekend but I did see a lot of photographers on track. And YES if anyone gets a photo of me shooting some flames I will probably buy it

It sounds like the clutch is slipping.
    Rob Driscoll
    ITS 25
    NER

Quote Originally Posted by robits325is View Post
    It sounds like the clutch is slipping.
    Agreed. BUT why would it only do that in right hand turns? It doesn't do it in a straight line or in left hand turns at all.

If that was wheel spin your Dad would have seen tire smoke.
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

Quote Originally Posted by StephenB View Post
    Agreed. BUT why would it only do that in right hand turns? It doesn't do it in a straight line or in left hand turns at all.
    After watching your video, my guess is that you replaced one open (or broken) rear end with another open rear end, ergo the same result. If that was a slipping clutch, it would happen in LH turns as much as RH. For that matter, it would have happened while going straight... and in any case you sure as Hell would have smelled it after that much slippage, gas fumes or no.
    Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E
    http://www.youtube.com/user/denrael

Didn't think of the smell Gary, good call! Definetly no clutch smells.

Stephen

Thanks Dan and Ben. I wished I could go fast more than one lap.. :-( congrats to Dan for a nice win, we had nothing.
    Rob Thiele - BMW 328is ITR
    www.motorsportcollection.com

Is it a Torsen or a clutchpack? If Torsen, I would check the suspension droop on the right side - if it is lifting the right rear corner, then you could get wheel spin, and a Torsen would behave like an open diff. Do the right and left side have the same travel in droop?
    Dave Youngren
    NER ITA RX7 #71

Ooooo, SUPER thought^^^^! Nice.