Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Glen updates?

Default Glen updates?

So...... Other than tGA's Integra fun, haven't heard anything.

How did things go Stephen with the new car?

ITB results?
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

tGA's "fun" was an aftermarket intake cam gear breaking (Billiel driving), lunching the whole top end of the engine. We got the head off an hour after we got home, minimum two bent valves and wiped out cams and rockers. Pistons have no physical divots, but if we have to rebuild the bottom end we're done for the year.

Blethan was fighting problems all weekend with putting the power down. They traced to a bad diff, changed out the diff Saturday to a stock part, but still had the problem Sunday. Watching the Pro-IT race from Turn One Sunday I respectfully suggest the problem is a slipping clutch, not a rear end or tires.

John VanDenburgh showed up with his new-build Audi Coupe, but couldn't get it to rev in the test day. They went home Thursday night (John, I still owe you for the UC, thanks for bringing it!)

Dan Jones walked the Pro IT field. No contest. Nice battle for 2-4 overall behind him. Ben Phillips had a hell of a battle in the Pro IT, looked like fun. He made a KILLER inside/outside pass on a lapped car, that one got my hair standing up!

Nat walked the field BIG TIME in Saturday's qually race, lap record times from what I heard.

Weather was damn hot on Thursday test day, but tolerable the rest of the week. Almost downright pleasant in the AM Sunday.

Seneca Lodge and Roosterfish Brewing have some good micros on tap...

GA

HOT--Sunday morning actually rained a bit.

Default Blow side seals?

Saturday am Practice. Dumped left Rear shock. no replacement so jacked up to High setting . Ran good for Pro-it and Regional Race qualifier. Started pro-it having a good run until oil prssure spiked smoke rolled shut down costed to Garage. Oil allll over engine dipstick blown out parked and out. At this point I don't know plans for rest of season. Maybe drop a small block chevy in to run. Did I mention Hot!!!!!! ironically the Engine temps were great even in heat. TW
    Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1986 RX-7 ITS #63. "Diesel Haulin' Rotary" 2005 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab The Hemi has retired "Long Live the Hemi" Bill Weaver Driver- 2004 NYSRRC John Chave Award. 2006 & 2013 ITS NYSRRC Champion!. Truck Driver Named Glen Region Worker of the Year 2008.Located 45 miles southeast of Watkins Glen in Sayre PA.

Yup the word of the weekend was HOT... Gosh dang was HOT on Thursday and Friday

Greg summed up our crappy weekend well. This Integra has not been kind to us and I am about ready to let it fall off the trailer towing it somewhere.

EDIT: It was awesome hanging out with the guys though and really owe Jerry R a big THANKS for letting me hit the Miata crack pipe even though I eventually decided to not race it as I had already done enough damage for the weekend.
    Jeremy Billiel

Sorry to hear that guys.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

As I suspected, my ITB CRX Si in its present state of motor has no-where near the ponies necessary for the Glen. I only did Pro IT, and was solidly 4th of 4 in B. Made a great start, pulling up past the class by the stand except everybody was back by after one heading up the hill.

So I just kind of motored around for 45 minutes. I've had some recent gremlins in this car that I've been chasing that are now all exorcised. If they didn't show up this weekend they're definitely gone. It's still a fast in the turns turd on the straights hooptie though.

Oh, and that Sunday morning rain? I take credit for it drying out as I did change to wet tires. Then back to dries. The Wood Brothers would have been proud.

Top three in Pro IT ITB, which Terry H. posted up in that thread as well: 1)Reece - A2 VW 2)Noakes - 2002 3) Hall - Protege. I didn't watch the Sunday Group 3 race for ITB, but from Saturday qualifiers the Volvos looked strong.....

Did someone say it was hot? I saw 108 in the truck driving up Friday afternoon. Got there way too late to score a spot with a nearby electric plug, so no A/C in the trailer this weekend, only fans that I knew my little EU2000 would run on Ecothrottle all night. More

I've had better weekends, but all in all it wasn't too terrible.
    Rob Foley
    Race: ITB '87 CRX Si
    Autocross: GP '86 Civic Si

Seems like the Glen whammy was in full force this weekend. More people went out there only to have problems. Either the Glen is fabulous.......or it's not.
    Hopefully better in September for the Fun one.
    Stephanie Funk
    <Couple of NARRC and NERRC bragging things here>
    HP Honda CRX in progress, ITB Honda Civic, ITA Honda CRX, ITC Honda CRX
    "Green Booger Racing"

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    tGA's "fun" was an aftermarket intake cam gear breaking (Billiel driving), lunching the whole top end of the engine. We got the head off an hour after we got home, minimum two bent valves and wiped out cams and rockers. Pistons have no physical divots, but if we have to rebuild the bottom end we're done for the year.

GA
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Billiel View Post
    Yup the word of the weekend was HOT... Gosh dang was HOT on Thursday and Friday

Greg summed up our crappy weekend well. This Integra has not been kind to us and I am about ready to let it fall off the trailer towing it somewhere.

What are you guys revving that thing to??
    Sucks that it broke....

Jeremy, now now, can you REALLY blame all the past 'issues' on the car!?
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    What are you guys revving that thing to??
    Sucks that it broke....

Jeremy, now now, can you REALLY blame all the past 'issues' on the car!?
    I was revving it high, but its now very obvious that these cam gears were not ready for the abuse like the rest of the valve train was.

EDIT: While I would love to blame Greg for all the Integras woes, *some* were not his fault. LOL
    Jeremy Billiel

Hmmmmm, so *some* were not gregs...some were gregs, and some were.....the cars fault??

Just wanting to make sure the right car/person/persons is pushed off the back of the trailer.

Again, it sucks guys, sorry....it's racing, and sometimes thats the breaks. if it was easy, everybody would be doing it.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Blethan was fighting problems all weekend with putting the power down. They traced to a bad diff, changed out the diff Saturday to a stock part, but still had the problem Sunday. Watching the Pro-IT race from Turn One Sunday I respectfully suggest the problem is a slipping clutch, not a rear end or tires.

As Greg mentioned I had problems hitting the gas and it wasn't just because I was scared It was weird... I could turn left and apply full throttle basically at turn in, but if I tried to turn right I could barely touch the gas at all and something would slip. The car was also very loose on right turns when I applied the throttle but felt great when I turned left. I got a ton of great suggestions as lots of people stopped buy to give us some ideas. We changed the entire suspension including taking the sway bar completely off. Nothing changed. We (I) was convinced it had to do with the rear end. The rear we put in the car during the build is the mazdaspeed 5.12 rear end and it was originally on a car that was hit extrememly hard in the right rear. So long story short I figured it was broken and had the guys drive out with my spare diff from home, then spent 3-4hrs changing the damn thing... shitty job that will go much faster next time! When changing it we noticed a bunch of axle grease from the inner joint. After some reflection we realized that the rear end we just replaced the mazdaspeed one with was from an automatic which we think is an open diff. We also realized that the axles we had were out of the car that diff came out of and maybe just maybe the automatic ones are different then the manuals... not sure on that yet but they do have different part numbers. In the end the diff from the automatic acted exactly like the original one, fine in left turns but horrible in right turns. Greg and Dick had the suggestion that maybe it was a clutch which it does feel like, but I am not 100% sure since it is honestly only right hand turns. At this point we have no idea but we are going to be ordering some axles for $400 bucks each (That my wife is thrilled about) and see if they are different.

The other issue we had was that I could smell gas and it seemed to use a ton of it! During warm-ups we used 4 gallons of gas. then in the race after 20minutes the car started to sputter. I thought the gas smell was from over filling it but I am not convinced. We are going to take the tank out, inspect it and all the lines then possibly put a stock tank back in it. This one was modified for a quick fill system compliant to continental challenge rules. We possibly could have damamged this in the build process and gas is just something I am not willing to fool around with. I chose to end my race early and take some pictures

Overall it was a fantastic weekend for me. I got to drive a car that I put together with my friends and it actually drove! I got to do 130mph and not worry about a speeding ticket in a nice controlled environment and for a few laps I had a great battle with Ann in her BMW M3. Plus being in the Watkins Glen area with family and friends is my dream vacation
    Attached Images Attached Images

The B race on Saturday was pretty good. I started 26th on the grid and 7th in class and was 18th and 5th by the exit of 1. Nat seemed to disappear and left Curran, Mullen and myself battling for p2. With the help of some miatas in front, i made my way to 3rd before botching the toe, leaving the door wide open for Mullen to take 3rd, wish i had known it was the last lap haha.

Our sister car driven my Lee Carpentier was fast but had some bugs to work out, and had some un-called for contact by "rookie" miata drivers that put him in the gravel trap during race 2.

Race 2 for me didnt go as well as my start was not nearly as good and Michael Reese and Greg Sultby got by me, i managed to pick back up a couple spots and stay in the fight for a little while, but when the window net came down, i got meatballed

Those Volvos sure like them straights!! haha

We're hoping to have both cars at New Hampshire, and looking forward to running back with ITS and ITR
    Ryan Hall

Just Boss It
    #03 Mini Cooper B-Spec
    Indian Summer Racing/Advanced Monograms
    SolidSkills.Net

Here are videos from the ITR/ITS/ITA/STL Sat qual race, and the Sunday race:
    (when the HD versions finish processing, you will have the option to cycle the
    HD on or off if the video is choppy)

http://vimeo.com/lawtonglenn/videos

In the Saturday video, between turn 1 and 2 on the green flag lap, you
    can see Ben Phillips (Black Porsche), Darrell Stein (Red RX7), and Tyler
    Monroe (White/Green BMW) all try to occupy the same space at the same time.

Please look carefully several times at the event before you decide for
    yourself who caused it, who went into a space that wasn't there, who
    should've or shouldn't have done this or that.

What I know for sure is who was really lucky that Ben narrowly missed the
    rapidly oncoming blue wall ... ... ME! ... because even though Jay Dedrick
    (Yellow RX7) and I slowed drastically because of the repeated bumping ahead,
    I was in the absolutely wrong place if Ben bounced off and back on to the track

whew!

My car was running VERY hot (240F) after changing a few things after the
    morning, but I decided to keep pushing it, and was able to get Dedrick before
    the BIG RED light on the dash came on...My crew added that Water Pressure light
    after I melted my second engine several years ago, so I decided to abort,
    and as a result was placed last for the Sunday grid

The warning light was a false alarm BTW

In the Sunday race, starting at the back, I tried to make my way safely to the
    front, and was able to get from 39th to 7th OA, just behind Darrell Stein, which
    is where I'd have likely ended up had I qualified correctly

a great, fun, HOT weekend...sorry about Tom Weaver and Greg/Jeremy's difficulties

Glenn Lawton
    GSMmotorsports
    #14 ITS RX7
    NARRC ITS Champion 2012
    NERRC ITS Champion 2013 12 11 10 09 08
    NERRC STU Champion 2010

wow .. sorry to hear.

Greg,
    I'll catch up to you at some point this year for beer money...

All in all, I got some laps in with the new Coupe on Friday's test day and well, its super down on power. We went through and checked all the timing , marks , adjustments, ect... I am thinking its probably fuel system related. To my own fault I have reused a lot of older/used fuel system parts and I think that's the culprit. So we packed up Friday night and headed home early Saturday morning.
    But it did move under it's own power, stopped/brakes worked , and I got my log book with only a couple easy fixes to do... I wish I could of made the race...but all in due time, once I get the bugs worked out.
    John VanDenburgh

VanDenburgh Motorsports
    ITB Audi Coupe GT

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    Hmmmmm, so *some* were not gregs...some were gregs, and some were.....the cars fault??

Just wanting to make sure the right car/person/persons is pushed off the back of the trailer.
    When the engine blew up at Road America it had nothing to do with Greg. It was a stock oil pump with 85k on it. Wear and tear...
    Jeremy Billiel

Stephen--I would suspect rear suspension (something loose, mis-aligned, tweaked or whatever--probably on the left side) before a diff.

Tough weekend but it's nice to hear you guys being so positive about it.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Billiel View Post
    When the engine blew up at Road America it had nothing to do with Greg. It was a stock oil pump with 85k on it. Wear and tear...
    whose idea was it to run the stock/original oil pump? *ducks*
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"