Quote Originally Posted by jhooten View Post
At the Sowdiv meeting Saturday the division Exec Stew said to bring him a rule set for ITL(emons) and he will consider it.

The current discussion is centered on reducing the number of run group not adding more. I suggested combining SRF and SM into one group. BTW if the numbers for both of those classes continue to drop they will loose their single class groups. Formula guys do you really want a single run group for all formula cars? If the number of FF FV and F5 do not increase it may happen. FB are about 40 seconds a lap faster on the TWS 2.9 than a FV. Think that is a good combination? Putting SM in with slow closed wheel, and SRF in with FV, FF, and F5 we are down to 4.
We face the same issue of declining small-bore formula car counts here in SEDiv. Many regions run them all together, but what we've started doing in Atlanta Region is combining all open-wheel cars for qualifying but then give them separate races. It doesn't buy a LOT of time during the day, but it does make the day shorter. There was a bit of grumbling when I first floated the idea but so far everyone seems to play together well during qualifying. We also sent all the Vees out together during the qualifying sessions so (at least initially) the faster cars would encounter them all at once rather than in onesies-twosies on multiple laps.

We run SRF with the small IT/Prod cars, but do split-grid qualifying (SRFs together) and split starts for the races. Again a bit of grumbling, but it seems to be an effective compromise.

We ran SM & SRF together one time and I vowed to never do that again. Despite similar lap times and a split start, we had a major "encounter" when the pack of leading SRFs came up on the pack of leading SMs. Simply put, cars that race in packs should not be grouped with another class that also races in packs.