Thread: Sowdiv IT Truck

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Sowdiv IT Truck

Atlanta region runs an IT truck series. Rules: http://www.atlantascca.org/documents...ck%20Rules.pdf

If we brought some similar to SOWDIV would you run it?
    Jerry

Lone Star Regional Executive
    Lone Star Tech Chief.

I had the perfect truck for that and gave it to Scott Johnson about a year ago. Not sure if he sold it or not, but I haven't seen it in his garage at the track in a while.

after that, unfortunately no. I have a LeMons car and the STU car to keep up- no room or money for another toy.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

My preference would be for us to promote the existing IT classes , get them healthy and then add classes.

I would love to stay in ITA , but wondering if I might need to spend the money to develop my car as an STU ( or STL if that gets going down here ) The problem is that the budget to do a proper / competitive STU car might get really expensive vs what I've got right now. Not a great time for an arms race.

The truck might work well for LeMons / Chump

Trey, you can run the car in STL as-is, but of course there's nobody to run against right now.

While I welcome any chance to get entries up, I wonder what the right direction is.

I don't know the last time I saw an ITS/ITE/ITR entry in our division- it's been a while and I know there used to be a bunch of them. There's usually a small handful of ITAs and Gersch in his ITB and that's it. The ITtruck idea would be 'fun', but I don't see it being incredibly well-subscribed and my fear is the increased "slow traffic". We already have a bad enough problem with some of the dangerously slow SRX7 and "STU" traffic. At the June TWS race, the guys in the back were 40 seconds a lap off the leaders in small bore. I can't count the number of times someone came down on me into a corner and I nearly bit it trying to get around them as well. There will always be traffic, but if we're going to add cars to the field, we might need to investigate an additional run group for those cars. Maybe stick slicks together and DOT-Rs together and have a 'fast' and 'slow' DOT race? i.e. STO, SP, T1/2/3, STU, in one group and IT*, SS*, and STL in another?? just throwing out ideas here.

Any ideas on what we can do as members to get participation up? I'm new to club racing and none of my friends really want to go through the expenses they're seeing me pay for 45 min of track time a month. they'd rather stick to DE days with their weekend toy and run a couple LeMons races a year where they get several hours of seat time.

This is something Rogerson mentioned in the past, but do you think there's enough interest (and the ability) to allow LeMons/Chump cars to run in ITE or something similar on a club race weekend? Many of those things like Troy Hogan's Z are full-bore race cars with proper cages (the cage in our Miata is SCCA legal, but we can't put a hard top on it due to height....), and the cars are usually gutted too much to be legal for IT simply because of the weight and junk removal.

any other ideas?
    Last edited by Matt93SE; 07-25-2011 at 02:05 PM.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

Matt , I like the thought process , but I'm not sure how many LeMons / ChumpCars would fit in but I'm willing try it.

If we had time in the schedule , we could add a group for those cars to attract entries ... It might ( or might not ) attract entries.

I'm like you , most of my buddies are fine doing lots of DE's and an occasional LeMons / ChumpCar event.

I think one of the major challenges the club has is that the barriers to entry are very high. Example : I've got a buddy who I instruct with , he's got a miata with a full cage and safety gear , but it's got a few non compliant parts , he's also blazing fast , he raced karts in England , and he does LeMons & Chump ... For him to run an SCCA race , he would need to go to one of the infrequent driver's schools , get a waiver on the 2nd school , go get a medical , prep the car to class specs , ect ... Get the picture ? ... The barrier to entry is just too high for a lot of people.

I think for the club to prosper long term , we need to revise our program to make it easier for new racers ... Maybe low entry barrier to the slow classes and high entry barrier for the faster classes ? ... One thing is for sure , it's going to require almost everybody to give up something to have it work for everybody.

At the Sowdiv meeting Saturday the division Exec Stew said to bring him a rule set for ITL(emons) and he will consider it.

The current discussion is centered on reducing the number of run group not adding more. I suggested combining SRF and SM into one group. BTW if the numbers for both of those classes continue to drop they will loose their single class groups. Formula guys do you really want a single run group for all formula cars? If the number of FF FV and F5 do not increase it may happen. FB are about 40 seconds a lap faster on the TWS 2.9 than a FV. Think that is a good combination? Putting SM in with slow closed wheel, and SRF in with FV, FF, and F5 we are down to 4.

There was a heated debate on the number of races in SOWDIV.. The area director believes we are having to many race weekends not just the number of races. Thoughts?

Restricted Regionals on R/N weekend are dead. Not enough IT drivers chose to stay and run on Sunday. Most weekends next year before September 1st will be Double Rationals

OH, just a heads up, any of you drivers with worker points you want to redeem for the $20 rebate on entries do it before August 1st.

What else was there? If I remember anything else important I'll add it then.
    Jerry

Lone Star Regional Executive
    Lone Star Tech Chief.