Thread: .40 over pistons for 1.8L

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default .40 over pistons for 1.8L

Hello, everyone! Where do you all recommend I purchase pistons for my ITB engine build? I'm having some difficulty sourcing these. I would also be interested in hearing your recommendations about the type of piston to use.

As always, thanks!
    Last edited by S2_ITBVW; 07-22-2011 at 04:37 PM. Reason: spelling . . . of course!
    Dave Ellenwood
    ITB Jetta
    SCCA Ohio Valley Region
    [email protected]

Dave, for the VWs it was always easy to get German made pistons through a European part supplier and know you would be getting a good part. It seems some of the older pistons are being dropped from stock in many places. Summit Racing had some pistons that do not appear in their standard catalog if you search by vehicle. The reason I did not try these last time I was shopping was the listings were not 100% clear as to what compression/engine code each was for. A call to them may help clarify. Techtonics Tuning usually lists what you are looking for but they are not cheap.
    Tom Broring
    Wash DC Region
    ITA Nissan Sentra SER
    HP Triumph Spitfire
    HP VW Rabbit

Tom, thanks a bunch. I had not checked Summit. I am in a dialogue with Techtonics. They may end up cutting down another piston to create the piston I need with the right compression. I see that Wiseco has a .40 over piston at 11.5:1. I assume these could be cut down . . . Right?

I hope sourcing this important element does not become a problem.
    Dave Ellenwood
    ITB Jetta
    SCCA Ohio Valley Region
    [email protected]

Finding pistons for older VWs is already a problem, that's why you are considering using an illegal piston (a cut-down Wiseco would not be legal unless it is identical to the stock piston, which I'm 99% sure it wouldn't be.)
    Washington DC Region
    Scuderia Tortuga
    MARRS ITC Scirocco #12

Check w/ our gracious forum host, he may be able to help. www.bildon.com

Sigh. Well, I read the GCR again and am inclined to agree that the Wiseco piston's probably do NOT match closely enough to be legal. I was focused on making sure that the compression was legal and did not realize that the pistons had to match that closely. Dangit. I'm stuck for the moment. The fellow building the engine sent an email to Bildon several days ago. I sent an email to Bildon yesterday. We haven't had a response. I have called Techtonics and they don't have any stock pistons either. Techtonics suggested cutting down a VR6 piston. I now suspect that this is illegal too.

Is there a readily available LEGAL piston that can be modified to produce the proper compression? Any other ideas/suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks for the help!
    Dave Ellenwood
    ITB Jetta
    SCCA Ohio Valley Region
    [email protected]