Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pro IT Series (NE) - Round 5 at Pocono

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Then you should already know that we're already running it backwards! We originally used to run this track the other direction, and without the "back straight" chicane. Made for a lot of fun L1 heading into Devil's Elbow...!

GA
    The last year that config was used, Nick Leverone spun at 125 mph in the qualifying race, performing one of those NASCAR-style tire-boiling burnouts to stay off the wall. We gave him new rear tires and a fresh pair of shorts for the race.

Steve Ulfelder
    Author of Purgatory Chasm and The Whole Lie
    www.ulfelder.com

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    Boy does the butt-end of that wall loom large in that config...

Mow down the cones on the first lap...
    Cones - no problem. Pile of tires - problem.
    Rob Driscoll
    ITS 25
    NER

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    I've run the South Course at Pocono and it's kinda fun actually. Running both the North and South courses together wouldn't make the place particularly exciting, but it would add some flash to an otherwise-boring place.
    I know I am not normall... Ya I said it But I LOVED the north/South combination and found it to be one of the best tracks in the North East to race on. Other than the fact that reference points are non-existant and your in the middle of the field the actually layout and rolling hills are awesome. 4th gear going like hell into a blind rolling right hand turn... then hard on the brakes for a sharp left, then back onto the main straight with a hard right... I LOVED IT! I really enjoy tracks like Lime Rock with high speed blind, "suck it up" kinda turns, This North/South combination had that! However I guess it didn't meet SCCA safety standards... something about only having the chainlink fence between grid and the track, amongst other things, so I heard.

Terry, Bring back the North/South configuration!!!!

Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by StephenB View Post
    Terry, Let's autox!!!

Stephen
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    Andy, did you race on the north/south configuration? Without cones...
    Entry speeds into both infields are as fast as west bend, if not faster. I still think Turn 1 at pocono is a blast (when they don't set up those blasted cones!)

Stephen

PS: I think NHMS is an autocross. I also think it is probably the WORST track in the North East and I live about 15 min away.

Quote Originally Posted by StephenB View Post
    Andy, did you race on the north/south configuration? Without cones...
    Entry speeds into both infields are as fast as west bend, if not faster. I still think Turn 1 at pocono is a blast (when they don't set up those blasted cones!)

Stephen

PS: I think NHMS is an autocross. I also think it is probably the WORST track in the North East and I live about 15 min away.
    OK, maybe not an autox. A go-kart track.

Dude, totally flat. The infield in the current config SUCKS. Double that??? At least the way it is now you can try and draft and get up to actual racing speeds!

NHMS is a super busy roval that does stink, but come on!
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by rthiele View Post
    Most feedback is that Pocono is incredibly boring. Stupid fast. I vote for two infields.
    +1 Course cannot be any worse than it is now with turn one the way it is and that terrible chicane. lets mix it up.

Have they done anything about the concrete strips at the transitions from the NASCAR track to the infield? The ones that they put in to anchor the SAFER barriers to? The one exiting Devil's Elbow was especially rough, I started thinking of them as railroad crossings!!

Bob Clifton
    #05 ITB Dodge Daytona

Quote Originally Posted by rcc85 View Post
    Have they done anything about the concrete strips at the transitions from the NASCAR track to the infield? The ones that they put in to anchor the SAFER barriers to? The one exiting Devil's Elbow was especially rough, I started thinking of them as railroad crossings!!

Bob Clifton
    #05 ITB Dodge Daytona
    The last race there going through the elbow Ben Phillips said the rear of my car was off the ground!

Quote Originally Posted by rcc85 View Post

Bob Clifton
    #05 ITB Dodge Daytona

I had to replace both of my front shocks after the last event.
    Rob Driscoll
    ITS 25
    NER

Last event I went 4 off just to the right of the chicane, hit that cement strip, and bent all 4 wheels!.. one of which cracked wide open... that concrete is seriously hazardous.

After the May event my carnage was:

- Axles/CV's
    - Front struts
    - Hubs/bearings (it was close to normal replacement time; the track moved things up a few weekends)
    - No play yet, but I did actually have a rotor make slight contact with the radius arm ball joint. Think about that flex and deflection in the front end.

Does anyone know if those traffic calming bumps aka SAFER Barrier foundations have had any asphalt placed to make the ramps up and down any less severe?
    Rob Foley
    Race: ITB '87 CRX Si
    Autocross: GP '86 Civic Si

wtf.... you guys are starting to scary me. Even though it's my first time there, it sounds like I need to keep qualifying to minimum. And why do we race there again?
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

In my decade of years racing, I avoid that place like the plague. The REGION people have always been nice. But it's downhill from there. The track is bumpy, and frankly pretty lame. I prefer the old COUNTERclockwise direction (Same as NASCAR) that has you flat thru the tunnel turn for the hard left into the infield, but they don't run that anymore. It was rather challenging in certain cars, at least.
    Now the track consists of the meh infield turns, the awful transition onto NASCAR tunnel turn, the boring non turn tunnel turn that used to be a challenge, then the terrible, anti rhythmic chicane with the awful concrete section, and the huge car eating HOLE at the second (Well, fourth actually??)apex, then the boring run thru the banking, and then the infield reentry with more car eating holes right next to the track.

So, there is not one section of that track that's remotely fun, or interesting. AND, even if YOU do a good job, your chances of returning home with a car that needs just the normal service is 50/50. Three trips there have resulted in three busted windshields. And I'm lucky.

I'll never go back. We have so many better choices.
    But hey, that's me!

It's a shame the management has such an apparently disinterested attitude. Could be a neat facility.
    Last edited by lateapex911; 08-13-2011 at 02:54 AM.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

I'm in the same club as Jake. Went there once, never going again. Bad drive, bad accommodations, bad track. (Good people, I hasten to add.)

Steve Ulfelder
    Author of Purgatory Chasm and The Whole Lie
    www.ulfelder.com

The host regions and their member have to make some serious decisions after this year on the future of racing Pocono unless some serious improvements are made. There are other tracks available including I hate to say it after the cancellation of the ProIT race last year, Summit Point. We've heard from the drivers but I'd like to hear from someone from the host regions on their thoughts.

Default Good luck to everyone at Pocono

Guys.....this has been a very tough year for me making any events with the opening of our store at NJMP. It just takes up a ton of time having to be there. I am hoping over the winter I can work on helping out ProIT again finding some product sponsors like we had a few years ago. You guys are a great group and I am looking forward to getting involved again in a small way.
    Fyi......I purchased brand new Corghi tire mounter and balancer which is located at our Dover NJ location. If you are nearby and need this service please give me a call.....even if it is for your personal vehicle.....1-800-275-4667....thanks and hopefully I will see you soon.
    Sincerely,
    Bob Zecca
    Proud sponsor of the TEAMDI PROIT SERIES and F2000 CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES

Default go north young man!

If anyone would ever think it thru-the north course is the best track at Pocono. Lap times are similar to Limerock, and it minimizes time on the banking while maximizing road course experience.
    And it is ever so satisfying to take the kink off the banking flat out without lifting til the first real turn-that'll seperate the men from the boys. Ask Butch OC what he thinks.
    The clockwise long course, especially with chicanne, just is stupid.
    However, the CCwise long course is a great asphalt dyno and a good first run of the season, especially if you want to do some tuning and sorting. Not much for "road-racing" though.
    Last edited by pfcs; 08-03-2011 at 09:13 PM.
    phil hunt

The long and short of this is that this is a National Race, what ever configuration they run we run. Sometimes we have to suck it up and do what the series wants. Then after the season is when you can change things if you want. It would be a good idea during the drivers meeting to address all the potential hzards around the track so we minimize damages to all. I'm sure everyone's intentions are to keep their cars intact so they can look forward to the last ProIT @ the Glen.

I'll be there for tire support on Thursday afternoon to noon Sunday.
    Give me a call to place orders.
    866-208-6551
    TreadZone ProIT