Thread: Pro IT Series (NE) - Round 5 at Pocono

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Last event I went 4 off just to the right of the chicane, hit that cement strip, and bent all 4 wheels!.. one of which cracked wide open... that concrete is seriously hazardous.

After the May event my carnage was:

- Axles/CV's
    - Front struts
    - Hubs/bearings (it was close to normal replacement time; the track moved things up a few weekends)
    - No play yet, but I did actually have a rotor make slight contact with the radius arm ball joint. Think about that flex and deflection in the front end.

Does anyone know if those traffic calming bumps aka SAFER Barrier foundations have had any asphalt placed to make the ramps up and down any less severe?
    Rob Foley
    Race: ITB '87 CRX Si
    Autocross: GP '86 Civic Si

wtf.... you guys are starting to scary me. Even though it's my first time there, it sounds like I need to keep qualifying to minimum. And why do we race there again?
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

In my decade of years racing, I avoid that place like the plague. The REGION people have always been nice. But it's downhill from there. The track is bumpy, and frankly pretty lame. I prefer the old COUNTERclockwise direction (Same as NASCAR) that has you flat thru the tunnel turn for the hard left into the infield, but they don't run that anymore. It was rather challenging in certain cars, at least.
    Now the track consists of the meh infield turns, the awful transition onto NASCAR tunnel turn, the boring non turn tunnel turn that used to be a challenge, then the terrible, anti rhythmic chicane with the awful concrete section, and the huge car eating HOLE at the second (Well, fourth actually??)apex, then the boring run thru the banking, and then the infield reentry with more car eating holes right next to the track.

So, there is not one section of that track that's remotely fun, or interesting. AND, even if YOU do a good job, your chances of returning home with a car that needs just the normal service is 50/50. Three trips there have resulted in three busted windshields. And I'm lucky.

I'll never go back. We have so many better choices.
    But hey, that's me!

It's a shame the management has such an apparently disinterested attitude. Could be a neat facility.
    Last edited by lateapex911; 08-13-2011 at 02:54 AM.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

I'm in the same club as Jake. Went there once, never going again. Bad drive, bad accommodations, bad track. (Good people, I hasten to add.)

Steve Ulfelder
    Author of Purgatory Chasm and The Whole Lie
    www.ulfelder.com

The host regions and their member have to make some serious decisions after this year on the future of racing Pocono unless some serious improvements are made. There are other tracks available including I hate to say it after the cancellation of the ProIT race last year, Summit Point. We've heard from the drivers but I'd like to hear from someone from the host regions on their thoughts.