Thread: Pro IT Series (NE) - Round 5 at Pocono

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The problem with Turn 1 was that every driver did not like it and thought it was more dangerous.
    If you watch my video from that race I had to go 4 wheels through the mud every lap racing side by side. all complaints fell on deaf ears. This is a business, make the customer unhappy and see if they return.
    watch at 6:35 in video but every lap was like that.
    http://vimeo.com/23596077
    Kevin Anderson

Most feedback is that Pocono is incredibly boring. Stupid fast. I vote for two infields.
    Rob Thiele - BMW 328is ITR
    www.motorsportcollection.com

^ so, wait... what are you suggesting about NASCAR tracks?
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

Quote Originally Posted by rthiele View Post
    Most feedback is that Pocono is incredibly boring. Stupid fast. I vote for two infields.
    Althought I'm all up for a handling track like Mid Ohio I also like a high speed handling track like Nelson Ledges and Lime Rock (which I've never been to but have see and heard about) too. I sure we would hear a protest from Ben. That also means we would have to learn the new configuration in a 30 min qualifying. just something to ponder...

I've run the South Course at Pocono and it's kinda fun actually. Running both the North and South courses together wouldn't make the place particularly exciting, but it would add some flash to an otherwise-boring place.

Dan, quit being old, man! Try something new once in a while...

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Dan, quit being old, man! Try something new once in a while...
    LOL GA!! Byte Me!! I've been doing this long enough if they want to run it backwards I'll be up for it. I'm usually pretty good about learning tracks, I just wanted to point out that everyone will have to learn the new track in only a 30 minute qualifying run. No matter what everyone will be in the same boat.

GA, will the car be ready and will you be @ Pocono?

Quote Originally Posted by dj10 View Post
    I've been doing this long enough if they want to run it backwards I'll be up for it.
    Then you should already know that we're already running it backwards! We originally used to run this track the other direction, and without the "back straight" chicane. Made for a lot of fun L1 heading into Devil's Elbow...!

...everyone will have to learn the new track in only a 30 minute qualifying run.
    That's whatcha gotta do anyway at any new track, you old fart!

will the car be ready and will you be @ Pocono?
    Negatory, good buddy. I have the head enroute to Blake Meredith as we speak (hurry up, Mr FedEx!) but it'll take some time for diagnosis, parts ordering, prep, and shipping. My goal right now it to try and make NJMP later in the month; if I miss that then we're looking to get back to the Glen for the Fun One, then maybe VIR in October...?

GA

Then you should already know that we're already running it backwards! We originally used to run this track the other direction, and without the "back straight" chicane. Made for a lot of fun L1 heading into Devil's Elbow...!

I never ran it that way Greg. When i used to run AMA with my TZ250 somewhere between 1978- 1980 @ Pocono we used the same course as they do today.

That's whatcha gotta do anyway at any new track, you old fart!

I guess I am an old fart, I just don't feel old most of the time. :026:

Negatory, good buddy. I have the head enroute to Blake Meredith as we speak (hurry up, Mr FedEx!) but it'll take some time for diagnosis, parts ordering, prep, and shipping. My goal right now it to try and make NJMP later in the month; if I miss that then we're looking to get back to the Glen for the Fun One, then maybe VIR in October...?
    GA
    That's a shame I hope you get it back on the track soon. I'd love to see it running and I'd like to hear what the diagnosis was.

GA
    The last year that config was used, Nick Leverone spun at 125 mph in the qualifying race, performing one of those NASCAR-style tire-boiling burnouts to stay off the wall. We gave him new rear tires and a fresh pair of shorts for the race.

Steve Ulfelder
    Author of Purgatory Chasm and The Whole Lie
    www.ulfelder.com

I've run the South Course at Pocono and it's kinda fun actually. Running both the North and South courses together wouldn't make the place particularly exciting, but it would add some flash to an otherwise-boring place.
    I know I am not normall... Ya I said it But I LOVED the north/South combination and found it to be one of the best tracks in the North East to race on. Other than the fact that reference points are non-existant and your in the middle of the field the actually layout and rolling hills are awesome. 4th gear going like hell into a blind rolling right hand turn... then hard on the brakes for a sharp left, then back onto the main straight with a hard right... I LOVED IT! I really enjoy tracks like Lime Rock with high speed blind, "suck it up" kinda turns, This North/South combination had that! However I guess it didn't meet SCCA safety standards... something about only having the chainlink fence between grid and the track, amongst other things, so I heard.

Terry, Bring back the North/South configuration!!!!

Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by StephenB View Post
    Terry, Let's autox!!!

Stephen
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    Andy, did you race on the north/south configuration? Without cones...
    Entry speeds into both infields are as fast as west bend, if not faster. I still think Turn 1 at pocono is a blast (when they don't set up those blasted cones!)

Stephen

PS: I think NHMS is an autocross. I also think it is probably the WORST track in the North East and I live about 15 min away.

Quote Originally Posted by rthiele View Post
    +1 Course cannot be any worse than it is now with turn one the way it is and that terrible chicane. lets mix it up.

Have they done anything about the concrete strips at the transitions from the NASCAR track to the infield? The ones that they put in to anchor the SAFER barriers to? The one exiting Devil's Elbow was especially rough, I started thinking of them as railroad crossings!!

Bob Clifton
    #05 ITB Dodge Daytona

Quote Originally Posted by rcc85 View Post
    Have they done anything about the concrete strips at the transitions from the NASCAR track to the infield? The ones that they put in to anchor the SAFER barriers to? The one exiting Devil's Elbow was especially rough, I started thinking of them as railroad crossings!!

Bob Clifton
    #05 ITB Dodge Daytona
    The last race there going through the elbow Ben Phillips said the rear of my car was off the ground!

Quote Originally Posted by rcc85 View Post

Bob Clifton
    #05 ITB Dodge Daytona

I had to replace both of my front shocks after the last event.
    Rob Driscoll
    ITS 25
    NER

Last event I went 4 off just to the right of the chicane, hit that cement strip, and bent all 4 wheels!.. one of which cracked wide open... that concrete is seriously hazardous.

After the May event my carnage was:

- Axles/CV's
    - Front struts
    - Hubs/bearings (it was close to normal replacement time; the track moved things up a few weekends)
    - No play yet, but I did actually have a rotor make slight contact with the radius arm ball joint. Think about that flex and deflection in the front end.

Does anyone know if those traffic calming bumps aka SAFER Barrier foundations have had any asphalt placed to make the ramps up and down any less severe?
    Rob Foley
    Race: ITB '87 CRX Si
    Autocross: GP '86 Civic Si