Thread: 240sx brake pads

Default 240sx brake pads

What pads are you guys using? I've been running Hawk blues and they work pretty good, but eat rotors at a rapid pace. I was going to try the DTC-60 compound, but Hawk doesn't make 240sx pads with that compound (I sent a note to Hawk about this). Other options appear to be Cobalt XR1 or XR2, Raybestos ST-43, and Carbotech XP-10 or XP-12. I figure brake pad technology has got to have advanced since 15 years ago (or ever how long) when the blue compound was created.

Thanks.

David
    ITA 240SX #17
    Atlanta Region

Carbotechs seem pretty popular for other cars, but the only guy I know using stock brakes just uses Hawk Blues and rotors are cheap.
    I used to run Wilwood Dynalite calipers with Hawk HT-10. Currently in the middle of an upgrade to Superlites with DTC-60s. With luck I'll be able to give a review after Aug 6-7 race weekend.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

I've only ever used blues on the front with HP+ (and even HPS on occasion) on the rears. I also change rotors & pads together - which means about every 3-4 events on the fronts and maybe 6 on the rears. I would imagine there are better compounds, but I'm not really interested in spending $50-$100 more per axle to find out. I've never had any issues with fade with the blues, and they seem to modulate fairly well on these cars (then again, I have nothing to compare them to).
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

I run the Cobalt XR2 Fronts and XR4 rears. I have the Non ABS calipers, and have found that Hawk quit making anything that could keep up with the temps. I also made the decision quite some time ago that the rotors are the expendable part of my braking system, and also turn out to be the cheapest part. I keep a full set of OEM style rotors in the trailer, and change them at will. Pads~$200 pr. Rotors~$45pr.
    Hope this helps,
    Carver
    Last edited by CCARVER; 08-03-2011 at 08:57 AM.

Car Prep, Rentals and full builds.
    Details at http://www.ChrisCarverMotorSports.com

Hawk said they didn't have any plans to make pads with the DTC-60 compound for our cars, but they did put it on a list of car requests that may or may not make the cut for production.

Cobalt recommended XR2 pads for the front and XR3 pads for the rear. The price I got back from them was pretty much $180 per set (either front or rear).

Tristan said he was running the Carbotech XP12 pads both front and rear.

I'm leaning towards the Cobalts. Several people have said they like them and that they last a long time and don't eat rotors. Anything has got to be better than the blues for rotor wear.

David
    ITA 240SX #17
    Atlanta Region

Quote Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
    Hawk said they didn't have any plans to make pads with the DTC-60 compound for our cars, but they did put it on a list of car requests that may or may not make the cut for production.
    Contact the guys at RaceShopper.com. No one was making stuff for my NX2000, so those guys setup a waterjet CNC program with the correct shape and cut out DTC-60 pads for me out of a larger NASCAR pad. There was an initial setup charge but all pads after that were based on quantity ordered...

http://www.raceshopper.com/

Man.. I like Raceshopper more and more after hearing stuff like that.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

Quote Originally Posted by DavidM View Post

Cobalt recommended XR2 pads for the front and XR3 pads for the rear. The price I got back from them was pretty much $180 per set (either front or rear).

Tristan said he was running the Carbotech XP12 pads both front and rear.

I'm leaning towards the Cobalts. Several people have said they like them and that they last a long time and don't eat rotors. Anything has got to be better than the blues for rotor wear.

David
    David,
    Call Ron at Discovery, I do not remember what I have been paying, but 180 seems high to me. Best part is they last me about 8 races of double duty.
    Carver

Car Prep, Rentals and full builds.
    Details at http://www.ChrisCarverMotorSports.com

Posting here in case you don't get over to rr-ax. Raceshopper cut a set of front and rear DTC-60 pads for me. It was cheaper than the Cobalts and what I wanted to try in the first place. So if you want to try the DTC-60 pads then give them a call. Interestingly, the mailing label on the box said Porterfield. I don't know if Raceshopper is Porterfield or if Porterfield just cut the pads.

David
    ITA 240SX #17
    Atlanta Region

Porterfield is probably the one that cut the pads for Raceshopper- I've seen Porterfield mention custom pads cut from others on their site in the past.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7