Thread: Misting Fans/Tent

Default Misting Fans/Tent

Not to highjack the thread about heat, I figured I'd start this one. Obviously everyone who has a cool shirt loves them but what about the rest of the weekend? I can't afford a nice air conditioned motorhome, so I bought a $50 Walmart 9x9 shade thingy. What I would like to have though is some kind of misting system but am not ready to shell out the big bucks for the already set up systems. The hoses and nozzles are fairly cheap to get but the water tank and pump seem to be the higher cost items in the kits.
    What kind of DIY misting system have you come up with?
    Ralf
    ITB Golf GT

You can buy one of those automatic trigger Febreeze bottles then use or empty the Febreeze and replace it with water. Then mount the bottle to a fan and use a rubber band or clip to hold the trigger down constantly, turn the fan on and boom, it's misting.

Steven
    1989 ITA Honda Civic Si
    Washington D.C. Region

Yeah, that works. Bought one at Walmart this weekend and the wife was using it. I'm thinking larger scale though. Like this. http://www.bigfogg.com/low-pressure_misting_tent.html
    Ralf
    ITB Golf GT

I have a misting system that runs off a big pressurized water bottle (like a pesticide sprayer, but much bigger). You pump it up, with 4 misting nozzles you have to re-pump every 30 minutes or so, and the water lasts several hours.

It's like this one, although I paid a lot less.
    http://www.mist-ified.com/

The problem with those misting tents, and most backyard/patio systems, is that you need a water source. There is rarely a good one of those in the middle of the paddock.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Get a submergable pump and a plastic 55 gal drum. Route the hose with several nozzles along its length, and put a ball valve at the end as a relief. Most of this should be availble from Home Despot/Lowes in the irrigation section.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

When we were running long enduros in the summer, an essential part of our pit equipment was a 42+" barrel fan. Amazing how many "friends" we'd gather from other teams during the heat of the day. Didn't have a mist-er (mister ? Hey Mr. mister...always hated that song...involuntary lunge for the radio buttons). Charlie @ Entropy had one...but I always felt clammy after I walked away from it, or had to get into a car.

I would do a search for a DIY Swamp Cooler.

Seems if you had a big enough fan you could simply gravity drizzle water into the air stream.

If you're going to haul that much water with you, why not just have a kiddie pool to lie in? I agree that the water source might be the hard part.

The whole thing does seem like an interesting project.