Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Intake and TBs - Aug Fastrack

Quote Originally Posted by Z3_GoCar View Post
    Here's a new twist on this...

The S-54 came in the Z3 in 2001 and 2002 models and has 6 seperate throttle bodies as it's a real BMW motorsports motor unlike the S-52 pretend motorsports motor... Does this mean that I can use the S54 ITB's on my M-50 motor build? Just floating an idea out there for my next motor build.
    I think not. Block and head must match, and the stock intake manifold must be used. The ITB's on the S54 did not come on the M50, so if you want to use them, I think you would have to use the entire S54 block crank and head as well. Which means you would have to run at 3520#.

Quote Originally Posted by JS154 View Post
    I think not. Block and head must match, and the stock intake manifold must be used. The ITB's on the S54 did not come on the M50, so if you want to use them, I think you would have to use the entire S54 block crank and head as well. Which means you would have to run at 3520#.
    Hello Eric,

That's correct for this years rules, but by the proposed rule for next year:

SUPER TOURING
    1. #4144 (Chris Childs) Engine Swaps
    Add at the end of 9.1.4.G.1: "
    It is permitted to use the OEM intake and throttle body for either the chassis or the installed engine."

Since there was a S54 powered Z3, then I can use that oem intake and throttle bodies, and add that to a M-50 motor. Note there's nothing about how to adapt the S54 throttle bodies onto a M-50 motor, so an adaptor/spacer plate is a perfectly legal way to mount it. If you don't like this change to the STCS, then you should contact the CRB, as per the August Fast-track.
    Last edited by Z3_GoCar; 10-06-2011 at 10:35 PM.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Hello Eric,

That's correct for this years rules, but by the proposed rule for next year:

SUPER TOURING
    1. #4144 (Chris Childs) Engine Swaps
    Add at the end of 9.1.4.G.1: "
    It is permitted to use the OEM intake and throttle body for either the chassis or the installed engine."

Since there was a S54 powered Z3, then I can use that oem intake and throttle bodies, and add that to a M-50 motor. Note there's nothing about how to adapt the S54 throttle bodies onto a M-50 motor, so an adaptor/spacer plate is a perfectly legal way to mount it. If you don't like this change to the STCS, then you should contact the CRB, as per the August Fast-track.
    Contact Karl Peoltl at RacersEdge about mating S54 TB's to that. His ex WC E46Tc car now has something like that and was turning 2:26's at RdAm in 2010 with the BMW club. see link here.> http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1422245

Quote Originally Posted by JS154 View Post
    Contact Karl Peoltl at RacersEdge about mating S54 TB's to that. His ex WC E46Tc car now has something like that and was turning 2:26's at RdAm in 2010 with the BMW club. see link here.> http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1422245
    Eric,

Thanks for the link because now I've subscribed to it. I'd seen that before in my search if it'd been done before. Note he did that in D-mod with a 3.0liter block and no mimimum weight. If he bolted on enough weight to run at 3300lbs, he'd probably be a little slower. I'll be sticking with the 2.5 liter, and will be trying to be competitive at about 2800lbs.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

If you remember my concern about the blanket allowance of 3.2 liter motors in STU. I just came across this thread:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...7&postcount=14

This is with bolt-ons and a retune, results 328hp at the wheel.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

This is with bolt-ons and a retune, results 328hp at the wheel.
    ...and 3520# and 7" wheels...?

328hp / 3520lbs * 2640lbs = 248hp.

My 2.4L I4 would have to make 250whp to keep up with it strictly on power to weight.

A 3500lb car with 328whp and the same tires I can fit on my 250whp 2600lb car? It won't run away on the straights, my 2600lb car will be more nimble, and his tires will be toast by the end of a 40 min race. IMO that's very much within the class philosophy on power/weight, and my lighter car will have the advantage in the long run.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    ...and 3520# and 7" wheels...?
    I know it was early Greg, but isn't it 8" rims? Also, 245/255's could be up to the task for a sprint race even at 3520 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt93SE View Post
    328hp / 3520lbs * 2640lbs = 248hp.

My 2.4L I4 would have to make 250whp to keep up with it strictly on power to weight.

A 3500lb car with 328whp and the same tires I can fit on my 250whp 2600lb car? It won't run away on the straights, my 2600lb car will be more nimble, and his tires will be toast by the end of a 40 min race. IMO that's very much within the class philosophy on power/weight, and my lighter car will have the advantage in the long run.
    That's for a motor that wasn't even touched on the inside and running a retuned oe DME. Now here's a race built motor with a custom AEM set up:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...80&postcount=1

Do you think you can get 270hp?
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

You are correct, sir: 8" wide for STU. 7" is STL.

If the engine is too powerful for STU it'll either get a restrictor or get moved to STO. Make a request with supporting data and the CRB will consider it.